Author Topic: Eating Everyday Is Unnatural  (Read 8014 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Eating Everyday Is Unnatural
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »
I think we are pretty close and understand very well of what a paleo person's diet might have consisted of.

But, I really don't believe they ate everyday (all the time). I believe just eating when your hungry is unrealistic too.
Some people here have eaten about 2 of pounds of meat every day....Including me at times...Is that really realistic? Would one be able to get two pounds a day in the wild? Even with a group of people? Is it more like 4-5 pounds every 3-5 days?

How frequent were paleo man's meals, and when and how much did he eat?
I exercise everyday... Am I more active than paleo man...How active was he?

I have some ideas to these questions but look forward to other opinions.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Eating Everyday Is Unnatural
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:43:02 am »
From the available evidence, Palaeolithic humans went in for a far greater amount of exercise than any modern human(their bones were far stronger than modern humans, even stronger than a modern athlete). They would probably have gorged on a huge kill(eg:- mammoth) every 3-5 days, with fasting occurring inbetween that time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:48 am »

We read about the big game kills or scavenged carcasses they would obtain.  But also it's been described so many times how the women would search out all sorts of small game and food including insects, tubers, fruits, etc.  That they would bring those back to 'camp'.  Hard to imagine that if there was no big game left to eat that anyone would pass up on what the women would bring home.  We don't think of eating many of the foods that they probably ate due to acculteration; ie insects.   This isn't to say that they wouldn't have days when nothing could be found.

Offline rafonly

• Buffalo Hunter
  • fpc=811
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:58:09 am »

nowadays some people in so-called civilized countries practice the alternate day fasting (adf) program out of their own free will
why not in other times?

"time & gradient precede existence", me

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 02:03:28 am »

We read about the big game kills or scavenged carcasses they would obtain.  But also it's been described so many times how the women would search out all sorts of small game and food including insects, tubers, fruits, etc.
they had to cook starchy tubers, fruits are plentiful only during certain times same with insects, African bushmen i read are forced to live with a shortage of game animals, is that true?

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 02:04:48 am »
From the available evidence, Palaeolithic humans went in for a far greater amount of exercise than any modern human(their bones were far stronger than modern humans, even stronger than a modern athlete). They would probably have gorged on a huge kill(eg:- mammoth) every 3-5 days, with fasting occurring inbetween that time.

Offline ErikFury

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 04:28:02 am »
this is the bottom line:

when you are hungry: EAT!

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:52 am »
This is a tough question and I have asked myself the same many times.  There are so many variables to consider:  location, season, epoch.  For example people in the humid tropics were probably able to get fruits and large insects on a regular basis.  My guess is they would have been able to eat much more often.  I would think those that hunted large game would have an initial kill, have their fill, and consume the carcass over the next few days eating as they were hungry but maybe not necessarily gorging themselves.  Maybe they would save some of the fatty portions for later, or maybe they just ate everything right there and went back on the hunt.  Perhaps eating very little for a couple days.  But then again, they were probably smart enough to know when they or their kids would be getting hungry again before hunger actually set in.  If it was me, I might be a bit proactive about that b/c I don't like going to sleep hungry.

But remember, we have amazingly capable bodies that can go without food for long periods of time.  That didn't happen just overnight.  Humans and our ancestors must have gone through long periods of time, perhaps epochs, multiple times for this sort of thing to develop.  Think of when a metor strikes the ground, a massive volcano erupts, a plague strikes, climate change, etc.  These things can cause resources to become scarce for long periods of time.  It is only the tiniest fraction of life that has ever existed that has survived to the present.

And in all likelyhood, scarce food and toxins probably change gene expression as generations progress, without necessarily changing the genes themselves - I have heard that posited on this forum.  I do know that children don't develop as well with not enough food.  So we can survive without as much and continue the species, but it surely has killed off a large number of proto-humans who were not as fit for survival.  Even the ones that survived terrible disasters and shortages of food probably lived shorter lives and were not as strong or smart as they could have been on full bellies - tho still the most resilient of their species. 

Which brings me to another idea.  We often wonder at how our brain size increased so quickly in the paleolithic.  By all accounts it appears to be quite a rapid evolution.

Perhaps this period, this epoch, was characterized or preceded by another in which our ancestors and many other lines that did not continue, were under incredible hardship.  With barely enough food to survive and perhaps toxins often in the air - maybe a period of greatly increased tectonic/volcanic activity spewing much ash.  Perhaps a change in the protective fields surrounding the earth shielding us from many of the suns harmful rays?

But perhaps this period killed off a great many hominids and life in general, leaving few resources, and presenting an environment that promoted genetic mutation.  Only the strongest, most capable, and in our case, INTELLIGENT, of these survived.  There is evidence in our mitochondria that our race was at one time whittled down to just a few thousand, though I don't know when this occurred.  At any rate, those that did survive would be quite hindered in their full capability to develop; that is, a full expression of their genes; but, their genes would have the greatest capability of expression once life recovered and presented a less challenging place to survive.

And perhaps thats is exactly what happened, in what seems like a very short period of time.  As the earth returned to a more suitable place for life, and we had much better nutrition, our bodies and genes were more fully capable of expressing the full strength and intellect that could not be expressed earlier due to conditions.

In all likelyhood, everyone's ancestors had generations of plentiful food where we ate alot, and other generations where we would have been forced to fast.  So do what feels best and gives you the best results.  I'm sure your body can adapt to whatever eating scheme you throw at it, but realize it might not be a good idea to go too far to the extreme in either direction. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline primaD

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:49 pm »
this is the bottom line:

when you are hungry: EAT!

I couldn't have said it better myself!!   :D

William

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 05:59:31 am »
The fictional wildlife biologist in the move "Never Cry Wolf" was equally obsessed with large animals as food.
Then he found "monkey see monkey do" that mice are edible. Nobody who had the brains of a wolf need ever go hungry.
Also note the record of the Lewis and Clark expedition ~1805 in western North America, where they had to make clubs and beat food animals to make them get out of their way. Paleoconditions would have been similar.

Endless repetition that our paleo ancestors starved is odd.

BTW I don't believe in evolution either. I want evidence, and until there is some it is just another junk science fairy tale.
...that is, unless you like the genetically modified pollywog hypothesis. :D

Satya

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:24:20 am »
The fictional wildlife biologist in the move "Never Cry Wolf" was equally obsessed with large animals as food.
Then he found "monkey see monkey do" that mice are edible. Nobody who had the brains of a wolf need ever go hungry.

Great movie for anyone interested in rpd.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 05:53:04 am »
I couldn't have said it better myself!!   :D

Eat when you're hungry sounds a lot like eat what you feel like eating. Sometimes in modern days with everything available all the time you can't just listen to your hunger instinct.

Offline cyberops21

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:00 pm »
daily habit of a balanced diet is beneficial for human body.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk