Author Topic: coconut oil scam?  (Read 20864 times)

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
Re: coconut oil scam?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 12:31:16 am »
I find a clear stop with good coconut oil, too, which has its own distinctive taste and smell. I challenge your statement that this is a different kind of stop because I think that the "feeling of having ingested enough oil" refers to satiety, or even fullness, not to a food-specific stop signal. You can still want more food, even when the coconut oil says, "Enough!"
Sorry for the late answer, also I see other people have already given some part of an answer to your question.

To complete this I'll say eating oil, and in this case VCO, and feeling a "stop" after some time is pretty much the same as eating cane sugar and finding a "stop" to it.
I don't know how to describe this other than the feeling of having eaten enough sweet, in the case of cane sugar.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 01:42:36 am »
JK, does that mean that we must eat the whole orange with the peel? And then, why not the leaves, bark, and wood of the orange tree? The shells of nuts? The bones with the marrow? And following your example, what about the sugar cane (plant) that cane sugar (boiled down cane juice) is made? May we not chew the juice and spit the fiber from that plant stalk?

I can follow your example in terms of the instinctotherapie dictates, which do define grinding as a form of undesirable processing, but as far as general discussion here, "raw" is the guiding principle, so we have to say "Yes" to the original poster: Yes, there are fresh, raw coconut oils on the market. Yes, it takes an asking questions and a certain amount of discernment to find a good one, as there is no standardization of the words on the label.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 02:55:04 am »
Ok, maybe I should've been more clear on my stance.

Yes, raw,extra virgin coconut oil is much better than any other types of coconut oils. It's as healthy as an oil can get, I guess.
However, eating the coconut meat (where the oil is originally extracted from) is healthier, as it is more nutritious, and one can find a much clearer stop signal to it when the needs of the body are covered. Coconut oil has a much blander, constant taste. It's hard to tell when you've had enough of it. Except when you've had enough of that particular greasy taste. At least that's how it is for me.
I don't really get your point with those comparison. Is it because I said the whole food was healthier and more easily recognized and taken care of by the human's alimentary instinct? When I said "the whole food", I didn't mean the coconut : its meat, its juice, its shell. Its tree, its soil where the tree has grown, the entire planet, our solar system, etc...

In itself, the coconut meat fresh from the nut is already a "whole food", recognizable by our primitive instinct for this reason. The oil is a food altered -from it's original "meat" form- in a way that is possibly never naturally available in an environment where (ancient) homo evolved, so why should our alimentary instinct be capable of dosing our intake of the product properly?

Now, if you want to include coconut oil as a part of your diet, I have no problem with that. It's already 100 times better than hydrogenated margarine. It's healthy, nutritive compared to the rest. But if you can get real coconuts instead, this should be your first option, IMO.

As for the sugar cane, I have never tried any, but seeing that Orkos sells them I guess you can eat it the way you described or such.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:07:40 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:29 am »
I don't really get your point with those comparison. Is it because I said the whole food was healthier and more easily recognized and taken care of by the human's alimentary instinct? When I said "the whole food", I didn't mean the coconut : its meat, its juice, its shell. Its tree, its soil where the tree has grown, the entire planet, our solar system, etc...
ROFL! Don’t mess with JK, he’s got nuclear weapons!  ;D

As for the sugar cane, I have never tried any, but seeing that Orkos sells them I guess you can eat it the way you described or such.
Sugar cane juice is routinely extracted between the teeth in the tropics and I’ve done it often too, also long before knowing about raw paleo. You just can’t swallow the fiber (as there’s no way to swallow a coconut shell!  ;)), so you have to spit it.

We’ve got to be a bit realistic… a theory being nothing more than an imperfect provisional tentative of modeling the nature! 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline political atheist

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 07:17:02 pm »
I've been pleased with both Tropical Traditions and First Quality International brands. If you want raw, the question to ask is How high a temperature does the oil reach during processing (such as centrifuging)?

from where do you buy First Quality International brand?
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 02:16:55 am »
First quality is in canada, just look them up online.  I just bought a very good c.o. from wilderness family. probably the best I've ever gotten.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 08:09:22 am »
Here's their website: http://virginoildecococreme.com/.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 05:29:22 am »
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 06:51:36 am »
I have ordered from Quality First using the phone number and a credit card, but
I just bought a very good c.o. from wilderness family. probably the best I've ever gotten.

Van knows his coconut oil, so you should probably take a look at http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/. I'll be looking at them, too.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:23 pm »
I have ordered from Quality First using the phone number and a credit card, but
Van knows his coconut oil, so you should probably take a look at http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/. I'll be looking at them, too.

you mean the wildernessfamily's coconut oil is a higher quality oil?

anybody tried the ''truly raw'' coconut oil AV always recommended: http://www.thaiorganiclife.com/product/virgin-coconut-oil-pure-raw/

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »
you mean the wildernessfamily's coconut oil is a higher quality oil?

I didn't mean that and I didn't say that.

Frankly, I would have no way of comparing the "quality" of one oil over. Van said he liked that brand. My statement followed with the website of his recommendation, only because you seem unable to use a search engine for yourself, as was the case in finding Quality First's website and ordering method.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:46 am »
thanks for the link re. the fermented oil from Thailand, will try it. Let us know if you do.

Offline AddyGrow

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »
There no one selling pure coconut oil in the market.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:10 pm »
I contacted the co. in thailand, seems like it might be something different/healthy, but they don't have distributers in US..

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 03:28:11 am »
Original living coconut and wilderness family naturals seem like best US companies.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:01 am »
As mentioned I'd steer clear of wilderness family.  That is the oil I just recently bought.   One way to judge c.o. is to put some in the palms of clean hands, rub for a while till warm and smell.  What I'm noticing now is that most smell like cheap buttered pop corn butter,,, nothing to do with fresh coconut.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:46 am »
i guess the best thing is to press out the milk/cream from fresh mature coconut meat... best quality, you control everything(almost)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:20 am »
very costly, time consuming, and then, full of carbs, if you want them.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 10:46:23 am »
very costly, time consuming, and then, full of carbs, if you want them.

Don't you think you're overstating it?  You can just blend up the fresh meat, strain the mix through a fine sieve, then let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours. The oil rises to the top and solidifies.  Use a small knife to cut around the edges, and you have the oil. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:19 am »
i guess the best thing is to press out the milk/cream from fresh mature coconut meat... best quality, you control everything(almost)

If you're not in a coconut-growing region, it's hard to learn about the treatment of these imports in terms of irradiation, mold inhibitors, and stuff like that. I seem to notice that dried coconut flakes are "fresher" (please allow me to say that) than the fresh meat I scrape out of an imported coconut. Sellers of dried coconut flakes explain how to make coconut milk from the flakes, and I have tried this and gotten an acceptable product, considering how "not really fresh" it is.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 01:04:23 pm »
Don't you think you're overstating it?  You can just blend up the fresh meat, strain the mix through a fine sieve, then let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours. The oil rises to the top and solidifies.  Use a small knife to cut around the edges, and you have the oil. 

hmm,  I'll have to try that.   I've always just put the fresh meat through a juicer and used what came out.  And never really enjoying the way I felt after using very much.   I typically don't like blending foods (oxidation etc.) but will try this to see what happens.  thanks   At well over two dollars a coconut, I wonder how much oil I'll get?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
hmm,  I'll have to try that.   I've always just put the fresh meat through a juicer and used what came out.  And never really enjoying the way I felt after using very much.   I typically don't like blending foods (oxidation etc.) but will try this to see what happens.  thanks   At well over two dollars a coconut, I wonder how much oil I'll get?

I'm not sure, but I remember being surprised at how much I got. It's been literally 11 years since I discovered this by accident, and I only did it the one time. I generally don't eat the oil anymore, it speeds up my metabolism too much. I do brush my teeth with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk