Author Topic: Constipation  (Read 7938 times)

Offline danipr86

• Forager
    • View Profile
Constipation
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:01:25 pm »
Hello.

Over a year and a half ago I started to follow the Paleolithic diet. Since then, I've stopped for a few months for various reasons, but I know that is the right way to feed myself and I have resumed again. I have benefited from its advantages in regard to vitality and weight loss, but I have a serious problem of constipation, which I did not have when I was eating in the "normal" way. After months eating in the Paleolithic way, my body should have been used to it, but the problem remains.

My daily schedule of meals is:

• Breakfast with fruit, nuts, cocoa and coconut. Occasionally avocados and animal fats like bacon, or meat or eggs proteins.

• A mid-day meal with a starter of vegetables and a main course with about a quarter of a kilo of meat. Since I have no weight problems, I usually eat tubers such as potatoes or carrots. Sometimes I also add dried fruits to lunch or dinner.

• A dinner with a vegetable starter and fish as a main course, generally oily fish or eggs. I jog twice a week, and three days a week I do high intensity weight training, so I usually add an extra carbohydrate intake in the form of sweet potatoes.

Over the weekends I commit small sins eating some forbidden food, and I also do intermittent fastings, skipping one or two of the three daily meals.

Since I started the paleo diet my intestinal transit has not been normal. I do not defecate daily. I usually spent two or three days without going to the bathroom, and alternate that with days of diarrhea. Other days the feces are huge. I am feeling bloated and it's starting to be a problem.

I was recommended to increase the intake of fats. I did it for a while without seeing improvements. I also tried to add prunes, to no avail. My mood is good and I have no problems with stress.

What's happening? Is there any solution to this constipation problem?

Thank you very much and best regards.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Constipation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:14:25 pm »
I would look at your food combining.    Particularly at your starting a meal with vegetable and then following with meat.  I would reverse that order and wait some time before ingesting vegetables.   You might like to look at the RS  (resistant starch ) section here, as Paleo Phil was constipated and it seemed to help him.   Extra magnesium can help.   And the practice of indulging and then fasting is a yoyo that upsets all sorts of balance. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:40:16 am »
Welcome. If you like the idea of intermittent fasting, consider the benefits of daily IF, where you eat within a 6 - 8 hour window and fast for the remaining 16 - 18 hours. This schedule gives a good cycle to eating and eliminating.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:52:32 am »
You can unconstipate yourself with simple water enemas immediately.

If need be, drink 30 ml of castor oil when you wake up in the morning.

You can rebuild your colon if worn out via Barefoot Herbalist MH's LBB capsules, take for 60 days.  I did mine.  I now poop like a champ.

Check the amount of magnesium you consume in foods and through your skin, eat more, absorb more via sea water or via magnesium oil.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:03:08 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:01:53 am »
~20 grams of ground flax seeds soaked in water made my bowels move better and smoother.

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:41:05 am »
It sounds like food combining is your problem.  You can have the best food in the world, but it will be useless if you don't combine then well. MY advice is to look up a few food combining charts, memorize, and follow them religiously.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:45 am »
Look into doing www.watercure2.org recipe for a few days to fully hydrate.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 08:00:10 pm »
Maybe try figuring out which food you were eating before that was giving you the good BMs, or what lifestyle aspect? Your diet actually looks rather good. Less restricted than many.

The Bristol stool scale is generally regarded as a better measure of where you're at than frequency: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

I would look at your food combining.    Particularly at your starting a meal with vegetable and then following with meat.  I would reverse that order and wait some time before ingesting vegetables.   You might like to look at the RS  (resistant starch ) section here, as Paleo Phil was constipated and it seemed to help him.   Extra magnesium can help.   And the practice of indulging and then fasting is a yoyo that upsets all sorts of balance.
RS helped just a little in that area. It helped others more. Psyllium husk powder + mung bean starch + Mg + mineral water helps me more. I tried cassia fistula and that didn't work out for me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline danipr86

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 07:30:14 pm »
Thank you very much for your answers. I will follow your advices.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:28 am »
If you can, tap into Sean Croxton's latest free video series.  Fascinating guests.  One talks about the Vegas nerve and the brain-gut connection relating to moving things along.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
If you can, tap into Sean Croxton's latest free video series.  Fascinating guests.  One talks about the Vegas nerve and the brain-gut connection relating to moving things along.

vagus nerve.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:39 am »
Is this raw meat and fish you are having, or cooked? You didn't mention in the OP.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk