Author Topic: diifference between fertile and unfertile eggs  (Read 17386 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: diifference between fertile and unfertile eggs
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
The worst part of eating a store-bought egg is the nasty stuff they put on the egg to preserve it - so I definitely wouldn't eat the egg whites of store-bought eggs as that is a protective layer that would absorb the toxins before the yolk.

You dropped another bomb! Eggs have chemicals put on them!? You think even "organic eggs" sold at grocers have been processed this way?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:36 pm »
You dropped another bomb! Eggs have chemicals put on them!? You think even "organic eggs" sold at grocers have been processed this way?

I'm sorry Joy. It's a bummer right? I read first about this in a book about chickens and eggs and I was flabbergasted.

The egg comes out of the chicken with a natural coating called the bloom. It takes a couple of weeks for the chicken to lay enough eggs to start sitting so this is quite an amazing protectant. That's why you want to try to get your eggs unwashed if you can - so that the bloom is intact. Your eggs will stay so much fresher. But industry can't let "unclean" eggs maybe with some poopies on them or dirt go to market (heaven forbid!) so they powerwash the eggs. The only problem is now the bloom is gone and the eggs will go bad faster so what do they do? They spray stuff on them to preserve them. If you are really lucky it will be harmless, but the big producers spray super nasty oils derived from petroleum on the eggs. What they spray on the eggs "for transport" does not have to be listed in the ingredients because it has nothing to do with the farming of the eggs - only with transport. Disgusting huh? Many small farmers wash their eggs but don't put anything back on the eggs to preserve them so these eggs will last a shorter time - that's why you have to refrigerate them. If the bloom is still on it's best to keep your eggs on the counter. A refrigerated egg tastes totally different than a non-refrigerated one to me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »
Hey GS - what are you going to do with the chicks when they hatch? Raise them to chickens? If so make sure you get the eggs of the breed that you want to have as adults. That sounds like great fun.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »
I'm sorry Joy. It's a bummer right? I read first about this in a book about chickens and eggs and I was flabbergasted.

The egg comes out of the chicken with a natural coating called the bloom. It takes a couple of weeks for the chicken to lay enough eggs to start sitting so this is quite an amazing protectant. That's why you want to try to get your eggs unwashed if you can - so that the bloom is intact. Your eggs will stay so much fresher. But industry can't let "unclean" eggs maybe with some poopies on them or dirt go to market (heaven forbid!) so they powerwash the eggs. The only problem is now the bloom is gone and the eggs will go bad faster so what do they do? They spray stuff on them to preserve them. If you are really lucky it will be harmless, but the big producers spray super nasty oils derived from petroleum on the eggs. What they spray on the eggs "for transport" does not have to be listed in the ingredients because it has nothing to do with the farming of the eggs - only with transport. Disgusting huh? Many small farmers wash their eggs but don't put anything back on the eggs to preserve them so these eggs will last a shorter time - that's why you have to refrigerate them. If the bloom is still on it's best to keep your eggs on the counter. A refrigerated egg tastes totally different than a non-refrigerated one to me.

Thank you Dorothy. It is good to have you around.

I have not yet developed a strong taste for raw egg yoke at this stage of my RP diet.  How do you eat your raw eggs?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »
Hey GS - what are you going to do with the chicks when they hatch? Raise them to chickens? If so make sure you get the eggs of the breed that you want to have as adults. That sounds like great fun.

Raise them, then eat them. 

It's very educational for our children.
We've had white peking ducks before.
We tasted their freshly laid eggs too... yummy.
Now we have chickens and a domesticated wild boar.
We used to have rabbits but the stray cats decimated them.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 05:08:41 pm »
This guy came to the same conclusions I did as a raw paleo dieter and marketer and chief cook in the home.  Our home cooked meals are the best because I pick the freshest, most organic, or wild meats / veggies / fruits available.

The video you posted is awesome!
Healthy foie gras.
This is fantastic.
I'll bet this foie gras is medicinal.
Where do we buy such a product?
Need to look for it.

Found the Foie Gras website!
Must order. Yummy.

http://www.lapateria.eu/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »
FYI: the foie gras I've seen in the market has all been pre-cooked, albeit likely at low temps.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 01:07:05 am »
Thank you Dorothy. It is good to have you around.

I have not yet developed a strong taste for raw egg yoke at this stage of my RP diet.  How do you eat your raw eggs?

I favorite way is to just take a yolk, sprinkle a little salt on it and in my mouth it goes but egg yolks make for amazing sauces, give richness to soups and smoothies, make for mayonnaise and salad dressings too. My husband has taken to taking toasted brown rice bread broken into pieces in a bowl with raw egg yolks on top... but he's not all raw. A little butter mixed with egg yolks is even more yummy if you ask me - but that's not fully paleo. I think the most paleo way to do it is my favorite way - right out of my hand. I break the egg into my hand and let the white drip through my fingers leaving just the yolk. I like to pinch off the chalaza (that's those stringy white things you find attached to two sides of the yolk made for holding the yolk in place - you find these only in fresh eggs btw). Salt does me good so the salt makes it particularly tasty to me. I find the kinesthetic experience delightful. The yolk explodes with flavor in your mouth this way. Another way to do it though is to put the yolks in a cup, gently mix and add any spices you want and then use a spoon to slowly eat. A little less primal - but I do this sometimes too because it draws out the experience making the taste sensations last longer and this is what I do if I want to share a meal with others.

But do try to find a farmer. Knowing what I know now I would only eat store-bought eggs cooked. I soft-boil them for 3 minutes so that only the white gets cooked and the yolk is still completely soft. It's really hard to get rid of all the white and I just feel safer. Probably it's just fine to eat the yolks raw from just about all eggs - I just am too used to my own eggs that I eat almost as they are coming out of the chicken. I just don't know how fresh store-bought eggs are without testing. Store-bought eggs just feel wrong to me otherwise. Thank goodness I don't have to eat them very often. Do you know how to tell if an egg is fresh Joy?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2012, 01:38:05 am »
Raise them, then eat them. 

It's very educational for our children.
We've had white peking ducks before.
We tasted their freshly laid eggs too... yummy.
Now we have chickens and a domesticated wild boar.
We used to have rabbits but the stray cats decimated them.

Nice - what a great project for the kids! So are you going to get the eggs of chickens breeds best for eating then? I'm told that getting the breeds that are dual-purpose aren't that great for either purpose and that it's better to get separate layer hens and meat hens. Your meat hens would give you occasional eggs - but not many as you would butcher them soon after they come to maturity. Have you decided on a breed yet? You will have to protect your chicks and pullets and even adult chickens from feral cats too. The best way is to get a broody hen and put the eggs under her. She would protect her babies with great ferocity against the cats and a rooster would also help.

Offline SaintAndScholar

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
i am sure most organic eggs are more nutritious then regular eggs, but its a mater of relativity because regular eggs arent that nutritious at all

pastured eggs, and as dorothy said, you have to make sure you know your farmer and your pasture because that is a relative term as well, are definitely more nutrient dense, you can see and taste it in the yolk and white, the yolk will be dense and almost orange, my farmer calls it "cheddar cheese" and the white will be very firm.  you can clearly taste the nutrition and they are definitely more filling.  usually if i get a good yolk one is almost satisfying on its own for a meal, they are delicious.........

I am sure that even cheap eggs are very nutritious.I get pastured ones, and they have a little 'blood clot' thingy.The outer part is very stiff alright, and the inner part is much creamier.they are very expensive though,and hard to find
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:51:04 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk