Author Topic: Name That Tune  (Read 3658 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Name That Tune
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:16:45 am »
Who said it...and what does it do for you?

"What do you mean? What do you demand of your captain? Are you then so easily turned from your design? Did you not call this a glorious expedition? And wherefore was it glorious? Not because the way was smooth and placid as a southern sea, but because it was full of dangers and terror; because, at every new incident, your fortitude was to be called forth, and your courage exhibited; because danger and death surrounded it, and these you were to brave and overcome. For this was it a glorious, for this was it an honourable undertaking.....

"And now, behold, with the first imagination of danger, or, if you will, the first mighty and terrific trial of your courage, you shrink away, and are content to be handed down as men who had not strength enough to endure cold and peril; and so, poor souls, they were chilly, and returned to their warm fire-sides. Why, that requires not this preparation; ye need not have come thus far, and dragged your captain to the shame of a defeat, merely to prove yourselves cowards.

"Oh! be men, or be more than men!"
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Name That Tune
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:02 am »
Aaaaah! I've been inflicted with a brain parasite by reading this. I thought you were quoting a song, based on the thread title. Curse you, trickster SkinnyDevil--and devil you are well named. Show me up with your brilliance, will you? Oh, the horror, the horror! :o :o O0 -d >D l) ;D

I read the book and enjoyed it very much, but I must admit I didn't recognize the quote. I had to cheat and Google it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:25:43 pm »
Hahaha!

I thought it was the best thing Victor said in the entire book. The rest of the time I just wanted to beat his whining ass (hahaha!!).

It reminded me of a TV quote....so who said this?

"If you can't take a bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid."
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
No idea
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:38 pm »
The character "Q" from Star Trek.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »
Ah, from which series is that, the original or the later one played by John de Lancie? I liked the latter version better, though the character got overdone after a while and he seemed to become too goody-goody as long-running characters inevitably seem to do on TV.

I liked the original series, though with mixed feelings, because it was on during the day when I first watched it, which meant I only tended to see it when I was home sick, and the loud and obnoxious music and ugly aliens were not pleasant for an ill child. Much later a friend of mine was a big Star Trek fan and got me to watch a bunch of several of the series' shows, but I haven't seen any episodes in some years now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:15:48 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:14:42 pm »
I can't understand the fascination people have with Star Trek. That franchise has ruined TV SF for decades and I'm glad it now seems finally at an end. I mean, all those ridiculous aliens who merely look like humans with funny knobs  and ears on. And then there's the sheer lack of imagination, no decent plots(most involve problems with some  ridiculously vague subspace phenomena and the cure always involves technological gobbledygook such as "reversing the polarity" etc. And then there's the ghastly saccharine sweetness of it all which makes one want to vomit in disgust(sort of like those awful 50s US sitcoms like the Brady Bunch and other nonsense where everything always turns out right in the end). Other TV shows like Babylon 5 or Blake's 7 or Buck Rogers in the 25th century were far , far better by comparison, even if they had their own few  individual flaws.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk