Author Topic: Can't digest hard raw suet?  (Read 9187 times)

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
Can't digest hard raw suet?
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:16:50 am »
I have 10 pounds of raw organic 100% grass fed hard suet (from kidney's) in my big freezer and I really did not want to waste it all but sadly my body had a hard time digesting it. Everytime I was eating raw hard kidney's suet I did not feel good and was seeing small chunks of undigested fat in my stoles.

I have found a way to make it more digestible for me and not waste all that wonderful fat and let me tell you that it makes it creamy and tasty instead of it being hard like candle wax and indigestible.

So what I am doing right now his very simple I just grind my hard suet into a powder and mix it well with Organic raw extra virgin coconut oil and it transforms into a creamy yummy melt in your mouth new kind of fat. I have been doing this for a week and had no problem digesting it and I feel physically wonderful.

I am also wondering if I would mix it with raw grass fed butter it would do the same thing but I live in Canada so raw butter is illegal so I could only try it with raw coconut oil. I know that some people on this forum thinks that raw coconut oil his not healthy and not paleo but I really did not want to waste all that suet and for the first time I could enjoy eating it and most importantly digesting it.

I personally think that mixing it with the coconut oil change the fat into a less denser one that requires less bile to digest.

What do you guys think?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Can't digest hard raw suet?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:40 am »
So what I am doing right now his very simple I just grind my hard suet into a powder and mix it well with Organic raw extra virgin coconut oil and it transforms into a creamy yummy melt in your mouth new kind of fat.

Do you  mean grind as in with a meat grinder?  I'm curious about how you get the suet into a powder?

The last time I tried VCO  it didn't work too well for me, but I still like your idea for those who do well with it.

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:46:09 am »
Its very simple to grind the suet I use a coffee grinder!

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:06:27 am »
I grind my lamb suet / stomach fat in my meat grinder sometimes. If I press it into glass jars after that, it keeps better than when I put it in the jars as it is. the grinding makes it creamy and it takes some of the fibrous (I'm using the word for lack of a better one) part.

If you want to take it a step further, you could try the low-heat rendering process described here:
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/journals/anthropomorphistic-intent/20/
I've tried it, and it works for me, though I don't think I will take the time as I digest my fat fine as it is.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:45 am »
...I did not feel good and was seeing small chunks of undigested fat in my stoles....
I used to get a little bit of that and had some difficulty digesting fats at first. I still can't digest coconut oil well but I found a few other things that helped me and now I can digest suet very well and it only starts to become hard to digest again when I exceed 80% of calories as fat or eat too much total:

> I don't let it get moist and musty at all--I take it out of the plastic and air dry it as soon as I get home. Some have expressed concerns about oxidation of fats from heating them, exposing them to air for long periods, or mixing air into them (as with whipping butter, egg yolks, and other fats). There does seem to be decent evidence that oxidation from heating is bad. Whether the other methods involve oxidation that is sufficiently significant or unhealthy to be concerned with, I don't know, but I buy small batches and don't whip/blend them, so it doesn't seem they would be a factor in my case anyway.
> I chew my hard fats thoroughly (in addition to the breakdown by chewing, the amylase in saliva can digest fats as well as carbs)
> I built up my fat intake gradually
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:47:09 am »
I don't know anything about chemistry so I was wondering how come the hard suet completely dissolves into the raw coconut oil and there his no waxy suet left. Mixing this two fat together makes a new kind of fat that his easy for me to digest and melts in your mouth.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:17:01 am »
Do you mean that if you put a lump of suet in coconut oil, the coconut oil would act chemically to melt the suet?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
Do you mean that if you put a lump of suet in coconut oil, the coconut oil would act chemically to melt the suet?

Yes when I mix raw powder suet in coconut oil it chemically melts into it.
Try it you will see!

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:33:51 am »
Suet taste like candle wax because it his very high in saturated fat but when you mix it with coconut oil wich has less saturated fat it chimicaly change into a less saturated fat so it becomes soft and melts in the mouth.

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »
Hey that's awesome I always get indigestion from suet usually accompanied by a fever... This I will have to try.  Thanks for posting

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 06:46:08 pm »
Suet taste like candle wax because it his very high in saturated fat but when you mix it with coconut oil wich has less saturated fat it chimicaly change into a less saturated fat so it becomes soft and melts in the mouth.

Coconut oil has more saturated fatty acids than suet.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »
Hans is correct, Herboriste--coconut oil contains more saturated fats than suet. It may be that coconut oil is softer than suet because it contains MCT oils (which are liquids).

Have you determined what chemical(s) you think coconut oil melts the suet with? Have you tried melting bigger chunks of suet this way, or just the powdered suet? My guess is that it won't work with chunks. I don't have coconut oil, so I can't replicate what you're doing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:45:48 pm by PaleoPhil »

William

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 11:26:49 pm »
Mixing fats with ghee also makes them melt in the mouth, and avoids the problems some have with coconut oil.

Offline herboriste28

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:29 am »
Mixing fats with ghee also makes them melt in the mouth, and avoids the problems some have with coconut oil.

My problem was that I could not digest the raw hard suet but I never had problem's with coconut oil.

Now its great I can mix the two and it becomes a soft fat that melts in my mouth,taste good and most importantly that I can digest for some weird reason.

If people don't like the texture of hard candle wax suet and the taste just mix it with raw coconut oil!
I never tried mixing the hard suet with ghee or raw butter so can't talk about it but with coconut oil its just great!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:54:09 am »
Yup, good to hear that you found something that works for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk