Author Topic: ferments  (Read 7460 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
ferments
« on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:19 am »
Hey everyone.

I'd like some info on fermenting things.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: ferments
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:36:47 am »
weston a. price foundation and www.cheeseslave.com have some good info.
I'm making a batch of homemade sauerkraut tomorrow. I've got cabbage, gonna add a little bit of onion, carrot,  and dill. Water, salt, and whey that I made will  be added in a glass jar, pressed down and left outside for about a day, then gonna sit in the fridge for a few weeks.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:19 am »
there is a book called 'wild fermentation' that has a lot of recipes/instructions for fermenting a lot of different foods.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:51:53 pm »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:23 am »
Awesome link! Any good hard apple cider brands?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »
My favorite overall hard cider I've tried so far is Thistly Cross, from Scotland: http://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk/

My favorite American hard cider is JK Scrumpy's from Michigan: http://organicscrumpy.com/Scrumpy_ReviewsRaves.html

My favorite fermented beverage is Artesano mead of Vermont: http://www.artesanomead.com/
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:07:49 am »
Awesome link! Any good hard apple cider brands?

Crispin Cider also makes several varieties of really good hard cider. They're based in Minnesota, but they also have bases of operation in California and England.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:43 am »
Awesome! Sounds like something to take to the beach.

Here in Miami there's not much to do besides beach and sports. Clubbing gets played out fast.

Thanks a lot! :)

CitrusHigh

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:48 am »
Hey Boss, sorry I didn't end up getting down there. Got super fucked up on, presumably, aflatoxin from some raw peanuts I bought for the trip down. But still have the ticket to use, so will be down this fall or winter after the growing season is over. I should have some nasty, sticky chronic too cuz I'm growing lots of them as well! Big season!

Why don't you go visit some of your local farms Boss? Or start a permaculture project in your area? Start collecting seeds from your organic produce and go plant them everywhere. Also here is link to a fella doing permaculture at his apartment complex in orlando!

http://rawmodelcom.blogspot.com/2012/03/schoolteacher-camden-long-is-growing.html

Wouldn't it be cool to have a legacy of food bearing trees, that in 20 years you can take a walk around the area and say, "see this mango tree, I planted this!"

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:52 am »
Hey Boss, sorry I didn't end up getting down there. Got super fucked up on, presumably, aflatoxin from some raw peanuts I bought for the trip down. But still have the ticket to use, so will be down this fall or winter after the growing season is over. I should have some nasty, sticky chronic too cuz I'm growing lots of them as well! Big season!

Why don't you go visit some of your local farms Boss? Or start a permaculture project in your area? Start collecting seeds from your organic produce and go plant them everywhere. Also here is link to a fella doing permaculture at his apartment complex in orlando!

http://rawmodelcom.blogspot.com/2012/03/schoolteacher-camden-long-is-growing.html

Wouldn't it be cool to have a legacy of food bearing trees, that in 20 years you can take a walk around the area and say, "see this mango tree, I planted this!"

Dude! That sounds awesome!  I can't wait for you to visit.

That's a sweet idea. So just plant in random places, obviously Non-GMO? You don't think the city would get mad?

I'm gonna look into what your talking about. Thanks for the info!

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:42 am »
Dude! That sounds awesome!  I can't wait for you to visit.

That's a sweet idea. So just plant in random places, obviously Non-GMO? You don't think the city would get mad?

I'm gonna look into what your talking about. Thanks for the info!

I know there are a lot of people doing things like this, mostly in areas that suffer urban blight. Vacant lots, weed choked, abandoned sites. If you're judicious in your choice of site, it's not likely anyone will be aware who is responsible or what's going on. Obviously, don't go digging holes and planting trees in well maintained (and watched) public parks and the like, and I doubt you'll get any grief for it at all.
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 10:07:05 am »
Lynn is right. However I would advocate planting food everywhere, no exception. People who eat organic, should be able to save enough seed from their organic produce to overgrow their entire city if they plant every seed they get. And that's the way it should be, you shouldn't be able to walk 20 feet without bumping in to another edible plant. There are food shortages in the world but we're not using every inch of soil to grow it? wtf?

Also boss, if you go and volunteer on some local farms, I guarantee the farmers will stack you with your favorite produce (whether it's veggies, fruit. meat or something else!), plus you'll learn a ton, meet great new people, get exercise, and really feel fulfilled. Plus you get to create, you get to have a real impact on other people's lives. The work you do will go to help sustain their health and it will literally become a part of them. That shouldn't be taken too lightly! I can send you the WWOOF list for florida in email if you want. If you're not familiar, it is a list of organic farms in your state that you can either work or volunteer at. It costs money to buy the membership from their site, so if you're on a budget I'd be happy to share it.

That's something I want to do when I come down this fall, is go visit some local miami farms.

However, as a point of practicality, like Lynn said, if you choose areas that are already pretty scrubby or places that aren't well groomed, your efforts are likely to remain instead of getting weeded the next time the landscaper or gardener comes through. Still, you can also ask any friends who eat organic to save you their seeds. Think of how many seeds you get out of one pepper, one strawberry, one tomato, one melon, sooooo many! And it's east to scratch up some dirt, drop a mix of seeds and cover it back over, next time it rains, your seeds will come to life and do what they do best! With that much seed, you should be able to plant even in tended areas, some plants will always get overlooked. And yes, I'd stick to organic seed only, planting GMO's is not good, and even planting over bred conventional seed is not good. Stick with organic for effectiveness, nutritiousness, taste, and resilience.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

Hey! Deffinitely email me that info.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:59:53 am by goodsamaritan »

CitrusHigh

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:28:04 pm »
Also if you go over to demonoid.me they have loads and loads of torrents on all sorts of fermentation. They are all free for the taking, some you will need an account for. Demonoid accounts are free, but registration is not always open. If you see something you want, but can't get it because you can't register and don't already have an account, pm me here and I think I still have a dummy account there I'd be willing to allow people to use to log in. That, or demonoid memberships can be purchased (at least alst time I checked) off of ebay for a few bucks, or you can check demonoid regularly and register next time they open registrations.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:04:15 am »
Thanks a lot. So can you really get drunk eating fermented foods?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:16:10 am »
Hey I made a username. But I'm running the slowest internet ever. I'm using my phone to get internet on my computer. It would take days to download some of those files.

Can you send me some you already have, or download a couple and email it to me?

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 03:39:34 am »
If you have a demonoid account you can also send invites to other people instead of giving out your user/pass.  If anyone's desperate for one they can get in touch with me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk