Author Topic: Sun Exposure  (Read 5442 times)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Sun Exposure
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:59 pm »
Hey guys. I know that sun is healthy and I do my best to get sun exposure. I don't use any sunscreen/sunblock at all. Anyways, I walk to work 2-3 times a week and it takes me about 45 min. I'm always in direct sunlight the entire time. I wear a tank top of some sort to get more skin exposed to the sun while I can. It's been very sunny and hot here the last week, so I actually got a noticeable tan on my chest and arms already. But I actually slightly burned. It looks like a tan with a hint of red, and the skin is a little sensitive. No real pain. I've had a real sunburn as a kid and this is nothing at all. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if not for seeing the slight redness. My worry is that I got some sort of irritation on my chest twice in a row now. A very itchy area like a small rash. Google says you can have an allergy to sunlight, but that sounds like some serious nonsense to me.

What is safe for sun exposure? I didn't really think there's an issue, but I seem to be burning after 45 minutes in the sun. I want to go out sunbathing / tanning tomorrow with my boyfriend since we have the whole day to ourselves. I'm very fair skinned and he's tan (I'm white, he's filipino). I have no intentions of using sunscreen either.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Exposure
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »
I seem to be very sensitive to the sun as well. I am light skinned but I do not burn easily yet I tan rather fast. The sun seems to drain my body rather quickly and if I am out for too long my eyes dry out and my skin becomes itchy. I also notice an increase in fatigue. After sometime I've found a happy medium and that would be getting enough sun just enough for Vitamin D production, which for me would laying out for around 6 minutes between 11-3pm in just my shorts 3-4 days a week. If I have to work outside I cover up well with long sleeves/pants and a sun hat. Also, you may want to look into some natural sunscreen as the ingredients in the average sunscreen are quite toxic. Natural sunscreen is made up of mostly non nano zinc oxide (non nano being unable to be absorbed through the skin). I just ordered some sunscreen from Badger that has very few ingredients:

Ingredients
Active Sport Ingredient: Non-Nano Uncoated Zinc Oxide 22.5% Other Ingredients: *Helianthus Annuus (Organic Sunflower) Oil, *Cera Alba (Organic Beeswax), *Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Oil, Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E). * = Certified Organic

The product can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JM29CE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007JM29CE&linkCode=as2&tag=herbkati-20&linkId=ZAWSP3E5WATF2MCR

Also, you can make your own homemade sunscreen. Check out this site for the recipe:

http://wellnessmama.com/2558/homemade-sunscreen/

Good Luck :)
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:39:40 pm »
Wear something over your chest or whatever part of yourbody you feel is sensitive to the sun when it is irritated.

What time of day do you walk to work?

What oils are you using on your body? This is when I would caution against olive oil and even coconut oil for some people, both make my skin worse in the sun.  Jojoba is the only one that does not seem to effect the way the sun tans my skin, I also make sure not to wash off all of my healthy natural skin oils by showering too often or in hot water or using soaps, soap is reserved for neither regions only and only when necessary. 

When skin is irritated by the sun you can rub cucumber or fresh aloe on it to soothe add moisture, let that soak in and dry and then rub in copious amounts of oil, helps to hAve a cloth specifically for oils to lightly wipe off the excess but for the most part let your skin absorb what it will.

Are you staying properly hydrated?  It's beneficial to eat really hydrating things like melons, cucumbers, cactus pads n fruit which will give you a ton of watr and minerals like potassium and silica, great for hydration and skin healing, also melon seeds are high zinc and lose phytates then any other seeds, which will promote healing and prevention of sunburn
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:54:54 pm by jessica »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:58:00 pm »
24sours you should try getting morning and evening sun instead or in addition to midday sun, they are much more gentle on the skin and at those times there is a different penetration of wave lengths from the sun that is more beneficial to the skin, not as harsh and better for promoting vit d production.

6 minutes a day and suffering otherwise does not seem to be a happy or healthy tolerance

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 01:03:09 am »
24sours you should try getting morning and evening sun instead or in addition to midday sun, they are much more gentle on the skin and at those times there is a different penetration of wave lengths from the sun that is more beneficial to the skin, not as harsh and better for promoting vit d production.

I will try and get more morning / evening sun and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look more into the different waves produced at different times too, sounds interesting.

6 minutes a day and suffering otherwise does not seem to be a happy or healthy tolerance.

Absolutely.. I seem to be extra sensitive. Still trying to figure this out.
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:35 am »
I seem to be very sensitive to the sun as well. I am light skinned but I do not burn easily yet I tan rather fast. The sun seems to drain my body rather quickly and if I am out for too long my eyes dry out and my skin becomes itchy. I also notice an increase in fatigue. After sometime I've found a happy medium and that would be getting enough sun just enough for Vitamin D production, which for me would laying out for around 6 minutes between 11-3pm in just my shorts 3-4 days a week. If I have to work outside I cover up well with long sleeves/pants and a sun hat. Also, you may want to look into some natural sunscreen as the ingredients in the average sunscreen are quite toxic. Natural sunscreen is made up of mostly non nano zinc oxide (non nano being unable to be absorbed through the skin).

I have similar issues. Like a "heat itch" from direct sunlight. Only if it's hot though, I can be in direct sunlight on cool days without issue. As mentioned, I have no intentions of using sunscreen, even "natural" ones.

I just ordered some sunscreen from Badger that has very few ingredients:

Ingredients
Active Sport Ingredient: Non-Nano Uncoated Zinc Oxide 22.5% Other Ingredients: *Helianthus Annuus (Organic Sunflower) Oil, *Cera Alba (Organic Beeswax), *Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Oil, Tocopherol (Sunflower Vitamin E). * = Certified Organic

The product can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JM29CE/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007JM29CE&linkCode=as2&tag=herbkati-20&linkId=ZAWSP3E5WATF2MCR

That exact sunscreen is from the store I work at. I noticed how clean the ingredients were just a couple of days ago and thought I'd use it if necessary.

Wear something over your chest or whatever part of yourbody you feel is sensitive to the sun when it is irritated.

I'm just wondering why this happens?

What time of day do you walk to work?

When the sun is directly above - around 1pm.

What oils are you using on your body? This is when I would caution against olive oil and even coconut oil for some people, both make my skin worse in the sun.  Jojoba is the only one that does not seem to effect the way the sun tans my skin, I also make sure not to wash off all of my healthy natural skin oils by showering too often or in hot water or using soaps, soap is reserved for neither regions only and only when necessary. 

I don't use anything on myself. I take brief showers and do not use soap on my skin. Only a very natural, organic shampoo that I still use minimally. I do shower daily as I get overly greasy in some areas (something I couldn't fix by reducing showers either) but they're brief and I do not use anything on my body.

When skin is irritated by the sun you can rub cucumber or fresh aloe on it to soothe add moisture, let that soak in and dry and then rub in copious amounts of oil, helps to hAve a cloth specifically for oils to lightly wipe off the excess but for the most part let your skin absorb what it will.

Thanks! I was considering aloe.

Are you staying properly hydrated?  It's beneficial to eat really hydrating things like melons, cucumbers, cactus pads n fruit which will give you a ton of watr and minerals like potassium and silica, great for hydration and skin healing, also melon seeds are high zinc and lose phytates then any other seeds, which will promote healing and prevention of sunburn

I drink more water when I'm out in the sun because I feel the need. Otherwise, I hardly drink water ... I usually won't feel thirsty much.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 04:33:19 am »
You are definitely out during the harshest sun of the day, it's best to wear natural fabric clothing over sensitive skin, certain areas are at different angles to the  sub which effect it's intensity on the skin. Your skin get oily in places because it is trying to compensate for the oil you wash off with soap.  Not using soap or Using oils would help to counteract this and improve skin

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 05:19:24 am »
You are definitely out during the harshest sun of the day, it's best to wear natural fabric clothing over sensitive skin, certain areas are at different angles to the  sub which effect it's intensity on the skin. Your skin get oily in places because it is trying to compensate for the oil you wash off with soap.  Not using soap or Using oils would help to counteract this and improve skin

I mentioned twice that I use no soap at all heh.

Offline colorles

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:43 pm »
i wouldn't go overboard with the summer sun exposure. you can get plenty of sunlight during the cooler seasons, to spare your skin the trouble in the heat

in the summer if i'm out in the hot sun, i'm wearing a hat. period. and i try to cover up as much as a can. the bottom line is that if you are pale skinned, once the sunlight gets to a certain intensity it is going to bother your skin. it can be compensated to an extent by eating lot of seafood and any foods that promote skin health and proper balance of skin oils...but intentional sun bathing, in the heat? that doesn't make sense to me. i mean i "sun bathe" a bit in cooler weather like my dog, from time to time (i think i took after him, because its not simply i used to do). but in the heat, the body strives for shade

hence why sun exposure, like many other things is a seasonal thing for me; i try to get a good amount of sun exposure in the spring and autumn, to compensate for the relative lack of direct sun exposure in the summer and winter. whats more important is that you live as much as you can outdoors, regardless of whether you may have to wear a hat in the summer  or cover up some

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk