Author Topic: Today was first time eating raw meat! Questions about preparation and handling  (Read 5641 times)

Offline eoterm

• Forager
    • View Profile
So I am just starting my quest with raw paleo today I had raw grass fed ground meat for the first time and it was delicious, I felt a little weird while eating it but had a good flavor and texture.   I buy my meat from grass fed sources from a local farm that I have visited to see their healthy cows. 

I have a few questions

1.  I had it frozen for two weeks for parasites, (I have a good source of grass fed)  is this step necessary?

2.  After I thawed it I prepared it with onion/garlic/allspice/cinnamon/salt/pepper and drizzled olive oil on it. 
how long will it keep in the fridge?  Is this time also the same for unseasoned meat? Do different meats last longer?  i.e. fattier meats, organ meats, etc.

3.  Can I let meat go to room temp to eat it?  how long can I leave it outside of the fridge?  Any big No-Nos to meat handling/preparation?

4.  raw Poultry, Rabbit, Pork, elk, bison, etc...   same principles in eating raw beef?

5.  What about parasites, E. coli 0157:H7, bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Trichinosis, salmonella?

6.  Any good raw meat preparation recipes?  I do strict paleo and  I don't include nightshades,

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
1) No

2) From the POV of RVAFers, there is no real time-limit. Newbies, however, should start with fresh, raw meats and then try aged, raw meats once they've gotten used to the former.

3) Best to buy chilled raw meat rather than prefrozen. With the latter, wait until it is at room-temperature and then eat it straightaway, do NOT put any remainder back in the fridge.

4) Yes.

5) All media-driven hysteria, given multiple reports online from RVAFers. Ignore.

6) Try steak tartare, ceviche and sashimi recipes, for a start.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Some parts of beef are better super fresh, like the tender parts.

Some parts are better hung and dried for a couple of days.

Some are good as high meat... you need to try this eventually.

Frozen beef taste degrades so I rather like my beef in the refrigerator for up to a week or 2 weeks, do not seal, let air flow, better hung in the ref so you gain good bacteria.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eoterm

• Forager
    • View Profile
Thank you for your responses, I want to learn all I can.

Excuse my Ignorance,  POV?

What is "High Meat" and this hanging method?   

I tried to google things on raw meat and I keep getting results that lead to websites  talking about dangers of raw meat, safe handling etc. etc. Is there like a manual?  like "Eating raw meat for dummies" or something I want to learn how to make jerky, and all that stuff.

I am not sure how I can get fresh unfrozen meat, most of my local farms use USDA places to process meat, and they only have it frozen?  I guess whole foods may have grass fed thawed meat, i will have to inquire to see if has been pre frozen

Getting into organ meats, I was thinking of grounding my own meat and maybe doing 85 muscle and 15% organ and slowly increase the organ ratios until I get used to the organ meat?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
1.  I had it frozen for two weeks for parasites, (I have a good source of grass fed)  is this step necessary?

not necessary, but if it makes you feel better its worth it.  fresh raw meat is superior in taste and nutrition

2.  After I thawed it I prepared it with onion/garlic/allspice/cinnamon/salt/pepper and drizzled olive oil on it. 
how long will it keep in the fridge?  Is this time also the same for unseasoned meat? Do different meats last longer?  i.e. fattier meats, organ meats, etc.

keep the meat uncovered and well ventilated.  your seasoning mix with actually start to "cook" the meat, you will find that garlic powder has this effect, as well as lemon juice and vinegar.  it can leave a more pleasant texture depending on your prefference.  i like to make things like this, basically raw meat balls or meatloaf, if you are not adding fresh herbs and use proper storage it can last as long as you appreciate the taste.  you can eat at room temp and put it back in the fridge as long as you keep it uncovered and ventilated

3.  Can I let meat go to room temp to eat it?  how long can I leave it outside of the fridge?  Any big No-Nos to meat handling/preparation?

yes.  your preference, read up on "high meat" by searching on this forum.  you can also read about dry aged meat, which is a very common practice among better butchers.  biggest nono is poor quality meat!

4.  raw Poultry, Rabbit, Pork, elk, bison, etc...   same principles in eating raw beef?

yes, know your supplier.  i have a personal preference not to eat raw pork.  i have eaten raw poultry although i have not let it get "high"

5.  What about parasites, E. coli 0157:H7, bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Trichinosis, salmonella?

everything has to do with supplier, if the animals are healthy, grass fed, in a nice clean pasture and shelter, they should be good to go, its all hype

6.  Any good raw meat preparation recipes?  I do strict paleo and  I don't include nightshades.

search this forum, there are a number of recipes and examples, there is a section dedicated to this topic

having worked for whole foods for a number of years i would not suggest getting meat from them if you have other options.  adding organ meat to ground is an excellent idea, hearts and livers are delicious in ground muscle meats

CitrusHigh

3) Best to buy chilled raw meat rather than prefrozen. With the latter, wait until it is at room-temperature and then eat it straightaway, do NOT put any remainder back in the fridge.

Why did you say not to put any  room-temp'd  prefrozen meat back in to the fridge Ty?

POV = Point of View, Eo.

I eat pastured pork anything raw when I can get my hands on it, but tough to get ahold of truly pastured soy-free pork where I am (I prefer organs and those are even tougher to get!) unless you really want to do a lot of communicating and footwork, I slack and so usually go without, plus I shoot a lot of animals in the forest which is superior anyway.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Why did you say not to put any  room-temp'd  prefrozen meat back in to the fridge Ty?
I mean that , prefrozen meat as it thaws quickly starts losing its nutrients due to freezing previously destroying the cell-membranes. So, once it's thawed, one should eat it all, and not put a part of it back into the fridge again for later consumption.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Thank you for your responses, I want to learn all I can.

Excuse my Ignorance,  POV?

What is "High Meat" and this hanging method?   

I tried to google things on raw meat and I keep getting results that lead to websites  talking about dangers of raw meat, safe handling etc. etc. Is there like a manual?  like "Eating raw meat for dummies" or something I want to learn how to make jerky, and all that stuff.

I am not sure how I can get fresh unfrozen meat, most of my local farms use USDA places to process meat, and they only have it frozen?  I guess whole foods may have grass fed thawed meat, i will have to inquire to see if has been pre frozen

Getting into organ meats, I was thinking of grounding my own meat and maybe doing 85 muscle and 15% organ and slowly increase the organ ratios until I get used to the organ meat?
Read the 1st post in every thread in this section:-

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/

Also read the 1st post of this thread:-

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/
" Ron Paul.

Offline eoterm

• Forager
    • View Profile

keep the meat uncovered and well ventilated.  your seasoning mix with actually start to "cook" the meat, you will find that garlic powder has this effect, as well as lemon juice and vinegar.  it can leave a more pleasant texture depending on your prefference.  i like to make things like this, basically raw meat balls or meatloaf, if you are not adding fresh herbs and use proper storage it can last as long as you appreciate the taste.  you can eat at room temp and put it back in the fridge as long as you keep it uncovered and ventilated

Uncovered and ventilated huh?  I thought that would increase the rate of spoilage? 

TylerDurden, okay I will check out the newbie page, and the high meat seems interesting, probably something I won't try at first, I really want to get used to the taste of meat, though I think it might have been a mistake to start of with ground?  I remember eating a piece of steak (filet mignon to be exact) seared (and by seared I literally mean just waved over the fire for a second, since it was thick it didn't even cook inside, and I really enjoyed the steak, however I enjoyed it with the GMO/high fructose corn syrup rich sauces I got to pour all over it.  However, I did find that the cinnamon really gave it a nice pleasant taste along with the onion. 

Thank you all for your input II really appreciate it

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
if you have good quality meat having it in an environment where the good bacteria(yes it exists on meat) can proliferate over the bad (yes it exists on meat) will insure proper aging, not spoilage, this includes not covering your meat, keeping it ventilated and at a low level of humidity. 

the spices should help to allieviate your fear of spoilage and germs as most of them were used in the past for that exact purposes as they contain high levels of chemicals that are anti pathogenic bacteria.

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
For how meat ages when it's uncovered and ventilated in the fridge, see this thread -

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/old-shoe-(beef)/

The more you read here, you may see that a lot of stuff that has been programmed into us from birth kind of gets turned on its head.  There's a lot of people with some great experience and knowledge here.

Of course, you shouldn't blindly trust everything you read here, either, do what feels right, take things at your own pace, and see how it affects you.  What works for one person doesn't always work for the next.

Offline eoterm

• Forager
    • View Profile
Okay, the uncovered ground meat in the fridge was a good idea, I really liked the outside where it began to dry, it almost was like jerky, could I possibly flatten ground meat really thin on a plate so it will dry faster and just eat it? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk