Author Topic: what for lunch for raw toddler?  (Read 15924 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: what for lunch for raw toddler?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 05:40:01 pm »
Pemmican is most certainly NOT 100% raw, it also consists of rendered/cooked  fat which is very unhealthy. Avoid it like the plague.

As regards the dairy, you're free to do as you like, but, IMO, the fact that your child had dairy allergies at the start does imply that he has some health issues with dairy. I've come across people in the past who've claimed to "get used to" raw dairy after consuming it for long periods, despite massive allergy-issues initially, and, in the end, many admitted that they were better off without any dairy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 11:20:04 pm »
 :)TylerDurden, thanks buddy. i'm not going for pemmican definitely. i'm on my way to feed my child raw meat which is superior than all. this is so funny that the way i tried to give him raw meat even without knowing anything about paleo diet (i just follow mother's instinct). i know how scary it is when you do everything good for your child and still he suffers and you don't know what to do. well, i'm very happy now the outcomes i see already.

last night, for the 1st time i give him new zealand fatty muscle meat for dinner and it seems like he kind of likes that. i'm not happy of the source of meat that coming from another country. again i spend about $90, to get some organs from us wellness, and that doesn't satisfy me either. northern bison company charges $25 extra for shipping and that is something i just can't afford at this moment. i've also learned that i have to be carefull buying suet, b/c they add flowers on it. my mom tells me the quality of grass fed fat is very high in my country and here, spending ridiculous amount of money, still you don't know what you're getting. i try to give him some marrow bone as fat and myself i only consume muscle meat with raw butter. when i run out of animal fat, most of the time i give my toddler the raw butter with the raw meat. i hear that raw butter contains the vit K2. i realize that it is easy to get raw butter than raw animal fats. please, send me some info for reliable source of raw animal fats, so, i can try his diet without dairy sometimes.

i want to thanks all of my friends who are participating to help my little toddler to create his perfect meal. please, i need more answer!!! -\ thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 07:06:40 am »
paleophil, thanks a lot for this important opinion. definitely that makes more sense of raw meat and fat diet. only problem is to feed him raw meat. it seems like, i need one person to hold him while he watches youtube videos and i put that in his mouth. i wait at night for my husband to come to feed him. i realize that he doesn't dislike this meat (fatty lamb), but still doesn't want to eat by himself. i also keep him hungry entire day long and still he does that. but if he sees grapes or pomegranate or apples, he likes that to eat.

goat milk is the only source of probiotic i give him. if i stop giving him that, than i have to count on high meat (i'm not sure he's ready for that). or if you suggest something else. i missed that reading that to live on only pemmican diet. pemmican is completely raw meat? my child likes everything smooth blended. only fruits he likes to bite on.

when i was pregnant, i didn't eat any protein , even a single egg. so he was born very small and struggles with many deficiencies like vit D, zinc, iron...etc. he was born with a very rough skin in some bottom part of his both legs. but now everything has solved. also he was severely  allergic to any diary products up to his two yrs. now he's not anymore and he loves to bite on raw unsalted cheese.  :)
It's tough with really young ones, and perhaps my parents were old fashioned, but they used to require that everyone in the house put aside TV, radio, homework and newspapers (there was not Internet in those days) when it was time to eat. I think that is one tradition that is worth reviving. After all, shared meals were the center of social interaction for the first 2.5 million years of human history.

I'm not a parent, but perhaps you could offer him Youtube if he finishes his meal first and make sure to share it with him and try to include at least one food he likes in every meal, while keeping all the foods healthy? Just a thought.

-------
Pemmican is most certainly NOT 100% raw, it also consists of rendered/cooked  fat which is very unhealthy. Avoid it like the plague.

Yes, Tyler, I know that MOST pemmican is not raw (though mine is, as I've stated before--heated so low I can put my finger in it!), which was why I was careful not to suggest it was and why I never ever claim that above-40C pemmican is equal or superior to raw meat/fat (which it definitely is not--I hope that's clear now). Raw and her child are not eating RPD, as you may have noticed. They are eating wheatgrass and goat's milk, for example. Besides, they might decide to try RAW pemmican some day.

-------
I don't want to seem like I'm beating an anti-dairy drum, because I know it is a sensitive subject for some and we have multiple dairy consumers here, but I can confirm what Tyler said about dairy as far as my own experience goes. I used to think I didn't have any problem with dairy, because I did better with it in my youth than my sisters, until I cut it out and my health improved and then tried reintroducing it some months later and reacted badly. I wish my parents had not fed me dairy.

i hear that raw butter contains the vit K2. i realize that it is easy to get raw butter than raw animal fats. please, send me some info for reliable source of raw animal fats, so, i can try his diet without dairy sometimes.

i want to thanks all of my friends who are participating to help my little toddler to create his perfect meal. please, i need more answer!!! -\ thanks.
Yes, raw grassfed butter contains K2, though so does raw egg yolk, raw shellfish, raw goose leg, raw chicken liver, raw chicken meat, raw grassfed ground beef, and raw grassfed beef liver. It's good to hear that your child is doing better.

My local healthfood market carries cheap grassfed suet. That's unfortunate if it's not available to you. Slanker's and US Wellness both carry it, but they are pricier than my market. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a local grassfed beef farmer who's willing to sell it for cheap or even give it away.

help my little toddler to create his perfect meal. please, i need more answer!!! -\ thanks.
My own approach is not to seek perfection, as that tends to lead to disappointment and impatience. The way I tend to put it is I seek "what works best for me." YMMV
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:33:31 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 07:41:57 am »
I don't want to seem like I'm beating an anti-dairy drum, because I know it is a sensitive subject for some and we have multiple dairy consumers here, but I can confirm what Tyler said about dairy as far as my own experience goes. I used to think I didn't have any problem with dairy, because I did better with it in my youth than my sisters, until I cut it out and then tried reintroducing it some months later and reacted badly. I wish my parents had not fed me dairy.
Yes, raw grassfed butter contains K2, though so does raw egg yolk, raw shellfish, raw goose leg, raw chicken liver, raw chicken meat, raw grassfed ground beef, and raw grassfed beef liver. It's good to hear that your child is doing better.

My own approach is not to seek perfection, as that tends to lead to disappointment and impatience. The way I tend to put it is I seek "what works best for me." YMMV

I agree.  That dairy you're using raw, although it seems your toddler is fine with it now, that may be or not be the case of what goes on in his body.  I do use some raw dairy in addition to (raw) meats and (unheated) honey, but I do not consider it as intrinsic as (raw) meat to health.  That being said, especially while your child still has his milk teeth, maybe it is doing him some good.  I believe everything has its place, and some things have more place than one. 

I wonder how real tiger milk would be for human babies.  I'm remembering that concoction of peanut butter, molasses, lecithin and skim called tiger milk that used to be popular with the hippies.  Real tiger milk would likely be better for human nervous systems than cow or goat milk.  Something none of us will probably know first hand with our children.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 09:26:28 am »
PaleoPhil, which state are you in? is it possible i can get that too staying in nj? my family has a new fedex business where i can get better rate to get product from one state to another state. it's becoming a challenge for me to get a good fat. i just can't afford all those organs and suet to order in internet. the people (wellness us) who sells organs which i've already ordered, they don't carry any suet. so i'll be ending up separate delivery charge from other farmers. if you don't have adequate supply of raw fat, than it is tough to follow raw meat diet. for fat i solely depend on raw dairy at this moment.

thank you so much to read every single details i write and answers from you i get (vitK2). i also thanks to all my friends are participating this forum.
bugs or country chickens

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:45 am »
Raw,  two suggestions.  First, make friends with the butcher manager at Whole foods, if you have one near you. Offer to pay for his grass fed fat trimmings.  Keep a consistent buying relationship, bring him/her a gift maybe.   Second, I respect Tyler's experience with milk, dairy.  But there are factors which can make milk a success or failure.   First, is your son's intestines producing lactase, probably, since he's been breast fed, and you're making kefir.  Most lactose intolerant people simple don't have lactase to digest the milk sugar.  Lactase levels can be brought up to the level necessary to digest the lactose in milk.  But this is done by sytematically  inducing small amount of lactose along with bacteria that will thrive in the intestines and hence produce more lactase.  It's a catch 22 deal.  The other big one, is are the milk animals eating grains and are they eating green pasture?  In countries where they thrive on dairy, ie, the Swiss alps, their animals traditionally always had either bountiful amounts of green in summer, and a supply of grass hay in the winter to carry them over till springs early green shoots come up.  The animals then would have copious amounts of mineral, protein rich, enzymatic rich shoots to essentially regenerate from the winters limited dry food supply.  Here it's mostly dry forage and grains year around.  I can't stress how different the milk can be.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 10:31:04 am »
US Wellness and Slankers both sell suet:

US Wellness
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok

lamb suet $4.38/lb (2 lb pack)
beef suet $3.99/lb (5 lb pack)

S&H $7.50

Slankers
http://slankersgrassfedmeats.com/beef_cuts_and_prices.htm#bulk_purchases

lamb suet $1.48/lb
beef suet $2.48/lb (4 lb pack)

S&H varies

The source of my suet doesn't sell it online:

Hardwick Beef
http://www.hardwickbeef.com/orderform.html

But they do sell in one place in NJ:
http://www.hardwickbeef.com/wheretobuy.html

Organica Natural Foods, 246 Livingston St., Northvale
201-767-8182

I can't guarantee the price will be the same there, of course. It sold for 90 cents a pound the last time I went to the market.

My local supermarkets also carry grain-finished suet for about the same price as the grass-fed.

If you decide to buy suet, I would start out buying a small quantity, as it took myself and Lex some time to get used to it. I still melt most of it at low temps below 40C, as I prefer the taste and convenience of melted suet to unmelted. When I move into a bigger place I plan on buying a meat grinder and freezer so I can make the sort of purely raw mix that Lex makes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:36:55 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:23 am »
The source of my suet doesn't sell it online:

Hardwick Beef
http://www.hardwickbeef.com/orderform.html

But they do sell in one place in NJ:
http://www.hardwickbeef.com/wheretobuy.html

I like bison, but as for beef, Hardwick is one of the few brands I actually like to eat.  It's juicy too.  I recommend them when buying beef in your area.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:48 am »
   I like bison, but as for beef, Hardwick is one of the few brands I actually like to eat.  It's juicy too.  I recommend them when buying beef in your area.
Yes, it's my favorite brand. Their venison is out of this world (at least I think it's theirs--it hasn't been in stock in the store for a while, so it might have been a different brand) and their bison is the best I've tried.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:28 am »
... Their venison is out of this world (at least I think it's theirs--it hasn't been in stock in the store for a while, so it might have been a different brand) and their bison is the best I've tried.

I would love to try their other products.  I can understand better now how you live on mostly beef without much of other foods.  That brand of beef really tastes nutritious in my opinion.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 12:02:32 pm »
    I would love to try their other products.  I can understand better now how you live on mostly beef without much of other foods.  That brand of beef really tastes nutritious in my opinion.
That's a fascinating point I hadn't thought of. It could be coincidence, but I seem to get the biggest feeling of euphoria during and after eating from the higher quality raw meats.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:43 am »
 ;DTO VAN, PALEOPHIL, RAWZI, i want to thank you all providing me all these information. my farmer who supplies me raw milk, he has grassfed lamb and cows. tomorrow i will receive my orders from him. but i think he is charging me way more what my friend paleophil estimated. i always buy from him significant amount of dairy products, still he's not considering to give me a reasonable price. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 08:04:21 am »
I don't know what you're buying, but muscle meats are a lot more expensive than fats and organs, so if you bought muscle meats that could explain the high prices. I generally pay $5.99 to $8.99 per pound for pasture-fed beef, bison and venison ground muscle meats. I bought ground red deer meat for only $4.99/lb, but it was very bland.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk