Author Topic: Books?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Books?
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:56:40 am »
Can anyone recommends me some good books? It doesn't have to be about Paleo diet alone. I'm looking for something more in general about the paleo times. I like this site because every time I visit their are new post with new info, very active members who seem up to date on research & providing links.

I have a few history books that doesn't cover more than a chapter about paleo. I really like the links that most members post on this forum. I'm thinking of printing some out & put it in a binder. I would rather have a book to bring with me to work or to read outside. I hate sitting in front of my computer for to long.

Any recommendations?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Books?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:00:44 am »
Try a book about cave paintings in the Paleolithic such as this one, for example:-

http://www.amazon.com/Cave-Art-Jean-Clottes/dp/0714845922/ref=pd_sim_b_1/182-2872806-9266547

The cave-paintings are the most interesting details re the Palaeolithic, IMO.

AS for palaeolithic diet books , there are some by Eaton:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paleolithic-Prescription-Program-Exercise-Design/dp/0060158719
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:04:42 am »
well this one isn't really about paleolithic times (but sorta is) but i just read Endgame by Derrick Jensen and thought it was pretty amazing. It's about how shitty civilization is and how we can get back to a simpler way of life. so i guess it's only a good read if you're somewhat interested in that. if you are, it's a must read.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:19:35 pm »
Yon, those seem like very interesting titles. I'll definitely check that author out.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:52:49 am »
okay, I ordered Primal Body,Primal Mind(read some pretty convincing reviews with not so much cons.)
Also got Vilhjalmur Stefansson: Arctic Adventurer. I got Fat of The Land on PDF file. It's just a pain to read on the computer for to long. Figure this would highlight some parts of that book.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:26:54 am »
There's a couple I found to be very readable:

People of the Lake: Mankind & Its Beginnings, by Richard E. Leakey (a bit out of date, however--for example, he quotes Richard Lee on proportion of plant foods eaten by Bushmen, but Eaton and Cordain later found that Lee neglected to include fish consumption)

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (fiction; doesn't cover diet and exercise, but covers just about all other aspects of prehistoric life and is very eye-opening for most open-minded people)

I found The Paleolithic Societies of Europe by Clive Gamble to be informative, but it appears to be intended more as a textbook than as a mass market book, so it's less readable.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk