Author Topic: Can flaxseed be harmful?  (Read 13780 times)

Offline Natasha88

• Forager
    • View Profile
Can flaxseed be harmful?
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:02 am »
For the past 2-3 months I have been taking 1-2 tbsps of flaxseed daily (usually just one) so that I can get more omega 3's. I understand, however, that our bodies can't convert all the omegas from flax so I do take fish oil as well and incorporate a lot of fish in my diet. I've been eating mostly paleo for about 3 months now and I have noticed some positive changes but it's been hard as paleo has been the cause of some problems as well, namely my weight loss. I'm 5'6 and before I started I weighted 106 pounds, already underweight, but I have gone down to 98 pounds, emaciated. This change was gradual and because I had no scale, I didn't notice how much weight I lost until two weeks ago. Recently I have started incorporating more carbs and have been able to gain 2 pounds in the past two weeks. My biggest problem has been the loss of my period for 2 months now. I know that this can be(and probably is) attributed to my low weight and bodyfat percentage but I was wondering if the flax could also be a cause. I don't remember if I stopped before or after starting to take flax and I know that flax is a phytoestrogen so it can mess with hormones. I've heard of flax messing with other people's cycles but I was wondering if it can entirely stop reproductive function. It's not menopause since I'm only 18 so I was wondering if anyone had any more information on the detrimental effects of flax and if it could be harming my body.

Thanks!

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Can flaxseed be harmful?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:42:45 am »
I'd drop flaxseeds completely.  I gained almost 20lb (from 110 to 130) from beef/lamb meat and fat and some organs.  Nothing else worked.  The gain was very slow over 3+ years.  I'd start slow and then increase meat/fat intake when digestion gets fixed.  I also had to drop all grains and limit fruits.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:06:44 am »
Also, though YS didn't mention this. This is a raw forum and we eat all our meat raw
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Natasha88

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:03:55 am »
Raw? I eat fish raw without a problem but I've never considered eating raw beef/lamb/poultry etc. Can't that be dangerous? And yeah I'm dropping the flax for now. 3 years is a long time, I'm trying to gain at least 5 pounds in the next couple weeks. Any pointers on the best way to do this?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:56:14 am »
Raw? I eat fish raw without a problem but I've never considered eating raw beef/lamb/poultry etc. Can't that be dangerous?

If you're having doubts about raw meats (I don't suggest starting with poultry), check out http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html - That should give you PLENTY of confidence in grass fed meats.

I recommend pre-freezing salmon, and other fish for at least 2 weeks to kill parasites. Although others may disagree. For most meats, the grass fed ones, there's no need to freeze.

I suggest starting with grass fed beef, lamb, buffalo, or goat.

3 years is a long time, I'm trying to gain at least 5 pounds in the next couple weeks. Any pointers on the best way to do this?

I suggest adding grass fed, beef fat, some times called suet. Add LOTS of it.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:41 am »
Also check out the bizarre foods youtube videos I just posted.

Andrew Zimmerman is eating FRESHLY KILLED raw pork, not even prefrozen to kill parasites. Goat, crocodile eggs. There's also videos of some I thought were from bizarre foods, of people eating raw horse liver and cow liver.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »
Raw? I eat fish raw without a problem but I've never considered eating raw beef/lamb/poultry etc. Can't that be dangerous? And yeah I'm dropping the flax for now. 3 years is a long time, I'm trying to gain at least 5 pounds in the next couple weeks. Any pointers on the best way to do this?
There is no danger in eating either raw beef/lamb/poultry, let alone raw seafood.  Basically, there are too many long-termers among us who've had either no issues at all with bacteria or parasites or very minor, rare issues that  were easily dealt with.  Omega-3s from raw meats are way more absorbable than from flax seeds.

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:45:41 pm »
All seeds are rancid to a degree... Very bad. I would not think about them as healthy foods...

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:35:29 pm »
3 years is a long time, I'm trying to gain at least 5 pounds in the next couple weeks. Any pointers on the best way to do this?

I think you are totally missing the point.  I think you have a problem with your digestion.  I would fix digestion first instead of focusing on gaining X pounds in Y days.  When your digestion works as designed your body weight would normalize.  Recovery times are different for everyone.  Mine was about 3 years.  Again, there is no such thing as quick fix.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:42 pm »
I think you are totally missing the point.  I think you have a problem with your digestion.  I would fix digestion first instead of focusing on gaining X pounds in Y days.  When your digestion works as designed your body weight would normalize.  Recovery times are different for everyone.  Mine was about 3 years.  Again, there is no such thing as quick fix.

If digestion is the issue, it might be worth consideration what paleo foods are being consumed.

While I know eating everything raw, loaded with enzymes, and bacteria will do wonders for the flora in the gut. I still think you could benefit by taking it a step further and only eating foods that are fully assimilated/SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) legal foods.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:30:42 am »
What is wrong with flaxseeds? I purchase organic refrigerated whole flaxseeds from Natural Grocers and eat a good amount. I have read many good things about flaxseeds.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:24:28 am by TylerDurden »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:33 pm »
I think the whole flaxseed hype is just that - hype.  Almost everything I've heard about it is just a wild guess, nothing concrete.

My personal opinion about it is it has tons of fiber which is interfering with digestion. Also, it is possible that too much fiber can damage linings of the intestines (Fiber Menace by Monastyrsky).

The ratios of fiber/O3 is really scary.  To get any meaningful amount of omega3 you'd have to consume gigantic amounts of fiber.  Fish is so much superior source of O3.

Being a seed who knows what other anti-nutrients are in there.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:18:33 am »
The ratios of fiber/O3 is really scary.  To get any meaningful amount of omega3 you'd have to consume gigantic amounts of fiber.  Fish is so much superior source of O3.

Do you mean fiber contains/provides omega 3? This is new info. for me. Will you elaborate?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:18 am »
Do you mean fiber contains/provides omega 3? This is new info. for me. Will you elaborate?

I think they mean that for every x amount of fiber you consume, you consume very little omega 3.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2

48 g fiber - 38325mg omega 3. So actually that's not true. It's almost equal parts omega 3 to fiber.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:19 am »
Raw? I eat fish raw without a problem but I've never considered eating raw beef/lamb/poultry etc. Can't that be dangerous?
Not in my experience, YMMV. Why would raw beef be more dangerous than raw fish, especially since pathogenic parasites are apparently far more common in fish than beef? I've never understood why raw beef is feared more than raw fish, aside from potential constipation if too much lean meat is consumed and the fact that more restaurants in the USA serve raw fish than raw beef, so maybe folks assume the restaurants must know something we don't? BTW, the best restaurant dish I've ever had was steak tartare, so some restaurants are as insane as most.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 12:18:28 pm »
I think they mean that for every x amount of fiber you consume, you consume very little omega 3.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3163/2

48 g fiber - 38325mg omega 3. So actually that's not true. It's almost equal parts omega 3 to fiber.

Thanks.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 09:29:13 pm »
I meant "are not as insane as most."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk