Author Topic: coconut oil  (Read 5018 times)

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
coconut oil
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:24:54 am »
hi group, wap recommends the use of co and i've been taking it for at least 2mos.  i've noticed some members here avoid it at all costs.  is there a specific reason?  i haven't noticed anything negative except for the fact that when i started i got diarrhea and lightheaded that i figured was a healing reaction.  isn't this a beneficial product to use?  how would one know if it didn't quite agree with them?  thanks for all your help! :P
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline Rob

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: coconut oil
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:15:56 am »
I find it raises my blood pressure. It also raises my energy levels. I use it sparingly at best.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:33 am »
It gives me nausea and tastes bad to me, but I found that if I mix Maine wild blueberries in it and dilute it with some animal fat I can handle it without nausea, at least in limited amounts. I don't seem to handle MCT's very well and they are known to cause nausea in a lot of people because they are so easily digested that they can rapidly overwhelm the body. If you Google medium chain triglycerides and nausea you should get some hits.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
Many people, such as myself, report having issues with raw coconut oil, and , to a lesser extent, raw plant oils in general. With raw coconut oil, I get very nasty, painful stomach-aches; I get massive diarrhea if I consume raw veggie-juice in large amounts because my body doesn't absorb the stuff seemingly and same goes for when I once tried to consume lots of raw olive-oil for a time.

I suspect strongly that this is partly due to the processing involved as I don't experience such strong negative reactions when I eat a whole raw coconut or a whole raw vegetables like raw olives etc. Coconuts also appear to contain some antinutrient levels, which I think might be more concentrated in the coconut oil?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline shannon

• Egg Thief
  • hey, that's me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »
well it's good to know that it's not required bec. my wallet was very thin from buying it weekly;-)
it really isn't so natural huh?  i mean who finds a jar of co in the wild?  lol!  thanks for your replies
@tylerdurden: what version of raw paleo do you follow currently?
Vegetables are interesting but lack a sense of purpose when unaccompanied by a good cut of meat.  ~Fran Lebowitz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:56:17 am »
well it's good to know that it's not required bec. my wallet was very thin from buying it weekly;-)
it really isn't so natural huh?  i mean who finds a jar of co in the wild?  lol!  thanks for your replies
@tylerdurden: what version of raw paleo do you follow currently?
Raw, omnivorous palaeo - usually 90% raw animal foods, 10% raw plant foods, but it often varies up and down  due to supply-issues or whatever. No raw dairy of course, and I prefer to buy raw wild game or raw wildcaught seafood whenever possible as it usually works out much cheaper for me as wild foods have higher nutrient levels than raw, grassfed etc. so I don't need to eat as much of them, and they are often cheaper per kilo, anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk