Author Topic: Anyone have years worth of ZC carnivorous?  (Read 56469 times)

alphagruis

Re: Anyone have years worth of ZC carnivorous?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
I don't see the purpose in ever eating carbs. We weren't designed to eat them.  

I disagree klowcarb. That's just plain non-sense from a scientific point of view. Remind's me of the quite similar relevant statements made by vegans also after only a few months on their diet that "we weren't designed to eat meat"  :)

Things are not that simple and by far, unfortunately. Might make us a little bit uncomfortable but avoids to be unnecessarily fooled.

Please read carefully the much more cautious and nicely balanced comments made earlier in this thread by Lex about his most interesting and useful carnivorous experiment. We should all take these comments as an example and work along these lines if we really want to progress.

We do not yet even know if there is something like "an ideal or best diet" for homo sapiens.  

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 07:45:36 pm »
From biochemical point of view long-term zero-carb is very unhealthy.
Difference between VLC and ZC is huge.
I was wrong when I said that the diet of Inuits was ZC - it was VLC, with some zero-carb periods of time
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

alphagruis

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »
Bear ain't raw, and there were no anti-smoking loonies in the paleolithic.

I would not be surprised if it were discovered that they also drank coffee.

Very funny as usual, William. Probably the Inuits got the coffee beans from their HG friends in central America by international shipping services.  :)

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 10:01:13 pm »
Was there any source of (non-animal) carbs during the ice ages?

The tribes that live in northern Siberia eat nothing but meat as far as i know, there was a BBC documentary about them and when they showed em eating a meal, i didn't see anything but meat (cooked). Does blood contain carbs? The 1st thing they did after killing an animal was boiling and drinking the blood, that seemed to be their favorite part.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »
Organ-meats, shellfish contain some carbs.
Squids, for example, contain 3 g of carbs in 100 g, so if you eat 0,5 kg you will have 15 g.
100 g of whelks - 8 g of carbs
100 g of abalones - 6 g of carbs
100 g of mussels - 4 g of carbs
100 g of surimi fish - 7 g of carbs
liver, kidney, tongue - 1-4 g of carbs

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »
You should read a book called the blood type diet.

I definitely don't agree that carbohydrates are poison. The thing is though, depending on where you live, who your ancestors were and what food they had access too is what matters.

According to the book, the people with blood type O should be eating very low carbs and be in a ketogenic state. How ever when it comes to people with B blood type they say they should be eating fruits and carbs, etc and avoiding excessive meat consumption.

I live in Iceland, and hardly anything grows here. It just makes perfect sense that I should be eating lots of fish and meat, because that's what we have abundance of. While someone who lives in thailand obviously has a massive access to fruits and veggies and there for is more suited to eat and digest that.

O blood type is the hunter blood type and B is a gatherers blood type.

Anyway this book made huge sense to me and I suggest you check it out.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:05 pm »
From biochemical point of view long-term zero-carb is very unhealthy.
Difference between VLC and ZC is huge.
I was wrong when I said that the diet of Inuits was ZC - it was VLC, with some zero-carb periods of time

What carb foods were they eating?

Like stated above, I live in Iceland and there is no natural carb food here. Sure in the summer there is a tiny tiny tiny amount of blueberries I could pick, but that's it. And it's the same in Greenland.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious where they'd be getting their carbs from then.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

William

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
Very funny as usual, William. Probably the Inuits got the coffee beans from their HG friends in central America by international shipping services.  :)

Coffee is native to northeastern Africa.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:49 pm »
so if there is carbs in meat, then you should eat a carnivorous diet, instead of a ZC diet? :P
That's not paleo.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 11:30:07 pm »
What carb foods were they eating?
Variety of berries, contents of the stomachs, shellfish, fish and organ-meats, which contain some small amount of carbs

carnivore

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »
Variety of berries, contents of the stomachs, shellfish, fish and organ-meats, which contain some small amount of carbs

Eggs...

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 12:01:20 am »
... The tribes that live in northern Siberia eat nothing but meat as far as i know, there was a BBC documentary about them and when they showed em eating a meal, i didn't see anything but meat (cooked). Does blood contain carbs?  ...

Maybe they did not eat ZC every meal or not all year long or their snacks might have been berries.

..., shellfish contain some carbs.
Squids, for example, contain 3 g of carbs in 100 g, so if you eat 0,5 kg you will have 15 g.
100 g of whelks - 8 g of carbs
100 g of abalones - 6 g of carbs
100 g of mussels - 4 g of carbs
100 g of surimi fish - 7 g of carbs...

I believe the carbs in surimi is from potatoes.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry?id=4823

What are whelks?  How many g(ram)s does an abalone weigh?  Can you eat them when they're small?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10:10 am »

It may contain a few grams of carbs but I'd hardly call it "carbs" if you know what I mean.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10:52 am »
I believe the carbs in surimi is from potatoes.
That could be true.
What are whelks?  How many g(ram)s does an abalone weigh?  Can you eat them when they're small?
Whelk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whelk
I eat small squids and they are fine. I haven't eaten whelk or abalone.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:45 am »
It may contain a few grams of carbs but I'd hardly call it "carbs" if you know what I mean. 
Carbs are carbs. If someone is 100% carnivore doesn't mean he/she is zero-carb. Zero-carb is 100% muscle-meats and fat.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 12:16:42 am »
...Whelk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whelk
I eat small squids and they are fine. I haven't eaten whelk or abalone.

Thank you.

... According to the book, the people with blood type O should be eating very low carbs and be in a ketogenic state. How ever when it comes to people with B blood type they say they should be eating fruits and carbs, etc and avoiding excessive meat consumption.

I live in Iceland, and hardly anything grows here. It just makes perfect sense that I should be eating lots of fish and meat, because that's what we have abundance of. While someone who lives in thailand obviously has a massive access to fruits and veggies and there for is more suited to eat and digest that.

O blood type is the hunter blood type and B is a gatherers blood type.

Anyway this book made huge sense to me and I suggest you check it out.

The book can be interesting, but perhaps not altogether correct.  Worth reading, to take the author's point of view and experience into consideration. 

I know people with type O blood who swear by carbs being what helped them recover their health. 

I know ninety-year old people of blood type B who swear by non fat skim milk, fish and poultry giving them their daily strength. 

Of course without modern medical doctors and medical technology or houses or heating or airplanes or whatever else they may choose to take advantage of, or with impotence or miscarriages, these persons may not carry their line on.  Only time tells and that's just reality.

I also know people who do not have type O blood who experience best health while practicing VLC (over medium carb).   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 12:19:37 am »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:43 am »
The blood-type diet has been thoroughly debunked by the anecdotal experiences of people on this board. There've been type Bs complaining of dairy-intolerance, type Os not doing well on zero-carb(me) etc.Besdies, the author of the blood-type diet has changed his mind and written some other variation on his past theories, so is even more discredited by that.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 12:26:02 am »
Which eggs have carbs?
Chicken eggs, for example - 1 g. In raw egg yolks it's 4 g.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:56 am »
The blood-type diet has been thoroughly debunked by the anecdotal experiences of people on this board. There've been type Bs complaining of dairy-intolerance, type Os not doing well on zero-carb(me) etc.Besdies, the author of the blood-type diet has changed his mind and written some other variation on his past theories, so is even more discredited by that.
That's really true. I'm type A and I do very well with meat and fat.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 02:55:18 am »
Chicken eggs, for example - 1 g. In raw egg yolks it's 4 g.

actually it's around 0.4g per egg. Not that it matters at all. I find it extremely strange if people intend to skip eggs because it has a tiny amount of carbs. It's still carnivorous  :)

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 05:52:33 am »
Humans have no essential carbohydrate requirement. We NEED water, protein and fat. I'm not saying we CANNOT eat carbs-we can tolerate them. But we do not need ANY to thrive.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 06:26:41 am »
Humans have no essential carbohydrate requirement. We NEED water, protein and fat. I'm not saying we CANNOT eat carbs-we can tolerate them. But we do not need ANY to thrive.

What about liver? It's pretty high in carbs.  It's also extremely high in Vitamins A, C, and B-12. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 06:44:55 am »
I know what you mean about carbs being the only unessential [dietary] macronutrient [to ingest], Katelyn. Zero plant foods (which I'm guessing works out to under 1% of calories as carbs) has worked best for me so far and if it works best for me in the long term, I can certainly live with that. That being said, there are some people here who tried ZC or zero plant food and feel that it didn't work for them, so it's unlikely you'll convince them otherwise, just as few in the ZC forum can be convinced that raw Paleo is the way to go.

Unlike carb-containing plants, I haven't noticed any ill effects from carb-containing flesh foods like raw eggs, though the carb levels in flesh foods are very low. Raw beef liver has the highest reported carbs for a flesh food that I've seen, and even that only contains about 12% carbs  (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/beef-products/3468/2). It is significant, however, which I think is one of the reasons that strict ZCers avoid it. Interestingly, raw chicken liver contains no measurable carbs (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/666/2). I wonder if animal carbs are more digestible for humans than plant carbs?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:55:57 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 07:24:58 am »
I think that 'sugar' is worse for you than 'carbs'.
That's not paleo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk