Author Topic: Man the Hunter Revived  (Read 8712 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Man the Hunter Revived
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:16:40 am »
Accumulating evidence has been reviving the man-the-hunter theory. The latest evidence from the Qesem Cave may be the final nail in the coffin of the man-the-hunted/scavenger theory. While scavenging was part of the overall survival strategy of hominids, hunting and butchering were clearly even more important to human survival and evolution. Despite the protestations of vegetarians/vegans, Stone Age humans clearly ate more than a smidgen of meat:

"Archaeologists have found the 200,000-year-old leftovers from ancient humans' meals, and an analysis of cut marks on the animal bones reveal that Paleolithic people ate very differently than we do today. The researchers were digging around in Israel's Qesem Cave, an early human hideout discovered east of Tel Aviv nine years ago during highway construction, when they found the remnants of hunted meals from 200,000 to 400,000 years ago. Scratches and dents in the animal bones show that, rather than letting a specialized butcher or cook prepare the meat for everyone to eat, these cavemen's feasts were more like a free-for-all. "We believe this reflects a different way of butchering and sharing. More than one person was doing the job, and it fits our expectations of a less formal structure of cooperation," one researcher says. "The major point here is that around 200,000 years ago or before, there was a change in behavior. What does it mean? Time and further excavations may tell." The findings have already put to rest at least one controversy — they seem to prove that Paleolithic people were hunters, damaging earlier theories that they were still scavenging and gathering at the time." (Source: A BONE TO PICK, Green News Roundup--Weekend Briefing, http://www.mnn.com/home-blog/green-news-roundup/blogs/weekend-briefing-25)
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Man the Hunter Revived
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:14:09 pm »
What's the purpose of a scavenger with a spear or any other HUNTING tool?  Sometimes I think scientists don't have any common sense. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:48 am »
It seems to me that many people desperately want to believe that our ancestors were either vegetarians, or at most, scavengers and gatherers, because they view hunting and meat eating as "bloodthirsty," carnal, impure, "brutish," "savage," primitive, immoral, sinful, evil, etc. In other words, bad. :) So they ignore the obvious evidence that's right in front of their eyes, and instead search for any nugget of information that seems to confirm their cherished hopes and beliefs. They start with the belief and then seek evidence to confirm it. Some of the people who do this, unfortunately, are scientists.

This is the opposite of the real scientific method, which basically starts with an examination of the evidence, as objectively as possible, then derives hypotheses from the evidence, tests the hypotheses, and then reviews the results. If the hypothesis is supported by the results, additional evidence is sought and additional tests are done to confirm and build upon the hypothesis and a theoretical model may be developed. If a hypothesis fails, alternative hypotheses are developed and tested and additional evidence sought. At least that's my basic layman's understanding.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:20 am »
It makes no sense to me why people think we need fruits and veggies to survive.  I had an argument with my co-worker last year about this.  I asked him how the hell do people survive in places like norway in the past.  There's no world economy back then.  People ate off the land, there's no bananas and limes growing in Norway 5000 years ago.  It also seems that the more extreme the environment, the more reliance on animal foods.  These people are healthy, why can't people get a clue?  I just stopped dealing with the general public.  They seem to only trust in the "experts".  People need to study more, especially about the past.  I'm so glad I took German in high school, it taught me a lot about propaganda and how dumb the masses are.  Even though Hitler was a very bad man, he was also a political genius.  With power comes the ability to distort the truth.  Poor people will always listen to the rich.  Rich people are all laughing at the poor.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person god allowed to have logic. 

William

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:02:02 am »
It makes no sense to me why people think we need fruits and veggies to survive. 

It's more like that they are not thinking, but rather feeling.
Can't argue with feelings.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:37:42 am »
I can drink to that.

I still think it's been beaten into our heads with the government's food pyramid campaign. 

Offline alpha78

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:34:10 am »
yep propaganda is what is around us.
Im half faroese and they lived also of meat,(sheep) fish, whales, seals, and barely no fruit and vegetables. The meat was dried and eaten raw fish too. I have seen some pics of my grand grand father and hes brothers and all of them looked lean and strong like real vikings.

Alpha78

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:41 am »
I believe it.

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:23 am »
I still think it's been beaten into our heads with the government's food pyramid campaign. 

I've been having arguments over my boyfriend about that. He can't stand the thought of me eating raw meat (I'm new, so I haven't started up raw foods--I can't at my college, not safely at any rate). He's actually quite disgusted (let alone that he thinks I'll die from e coli or salmonella). He keeps saying that I ought to eat bread, for nutrition, as that's the main part of the food pyramid.

From what I can understand, the government put a lot of nutrients into flour (such as they did with salt and iodine), due to vitamin deficiencies in the population. However, that's most likely from eating cooked food, which doesn't have as much vitamins. So its either artificially inject vitamins into food or eat a more natural diet. :/

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:58:48 am »
I've been having arguments over my boyfriend about that. He can't stand the thought of me eating raw meat (I'm new, so I haven't started up raw foods--I can't at my college, not safely at any rate). He's actually quite disgusted (let alone that he thinks I'll die from e coli or salmonella). He keeps saying that I ought to eat bread, for nutrition, as that's the main part of the food pyramid.

From what I can understand, the government put a lot of nutrients into flour (such as they did with salt and iodine), due to vitamin deficiencies in the population. However, that's most likely from eating cooked food, which doesn't have as much vitamins. So its either artificially inject vitamins into food or eat a more natural diet. :/
Ah yes, the magical pyramid. Put the food into a magical shape and that makes it all good. Makes total sense. Good thing the government dumbs things down to a submoronic level and throws in a hearty dash of mysticism for us. :D

Here's an experiment for your boyfriend that he should be willing to try if he really believes what he says: challenge him to eat nothing but the "nutritious" bread of this choice and water for 3-7 days (any more might be too cruel), then nothing but red meat (cooked as low as he will go) and water for 3-7 days, and let him compare how he feels.

I actually find the idea of a gal eating raw meat to be a turn on.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 12:01:35 pm »
Im half faroese and they lived also of meat,(sheep) fish, whales, seals, and barely no fruit and vegetables. The meat was dried and eaten raw fish too. I have seen some pics of my grand grand father and hes brothers and all of them looked lean and strong like real vikings.

I never even online met a Faroese before.  I've only seen pictures of the hunt.  An honor to 'meet' you.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:00 pm »
Ah yes, the magical pyramid. Put the food into a magical shape and that makes it all good. Makes total sense. Good thing the government dumbs things down to a submoronic level and throws in a hearty dash of mysticism for us. :D

Here's an experiment for your boyfriend that he should be willing to try if he really believes what he says: challenge him to eat nothing but the "nutritious" bread of this choice and water for 3-7 days (any more might be too cruel), then nothing but red meat (cooked as low as he will go) and water for 3-7 days, and let him compare how he feels.

I actually find the idea of a gal eating raw meat to be a turn on.

Haha. I know for sure he wouldn't go in for eating bread for a few days. He loves meat. Just apparently not the idea of it raw. He can't stand the texture of any meat that isn't well done either. I'll posit the experiment to him.

And you think most guys would. Very primal, LOL. I picked the weirdo :P

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:23 am »
These sort of people are just brainwashed neurotics, learn some verbal hypnosis & show him a good time lol ...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 09:37:33 am »
Just realized that I forgot to mention fat. Lean red meat and water would not be good. Fatty red meat and water or lean red meat plus suet/marrow and water would be excellent. Most people are unaware that it's the fat in red meat and insects that is especially healthy, more so than the protein.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 02:26:56 pm »
eat everything on the animal, that's the only safe bet. 

Offline alpha78

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 07:18:02 am »
Weel if we compare chimpazee digestive system to ours i fell if we have acces to fruit the go for it, it tastes good too. And then good quality meat with fat, liver and fish.
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-6c.shtml

alpha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk