Author Topic: What about roots and root vegetables?  (Read 15575 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
What about roots and root vegetables?
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »
Do paleos eat roots and root vegetables such as carrots because I heard they are starchy.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: What about roots and root vegetables?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:25:15 pm »
Some do. Most root vegetables are relatively inedible raw, such as raw broccoli, so those are avoided. A few like me have a bunch of carrots once in a blue moon, but that's about it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

carnivore

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:15 pm »
Some do. Most root vegetables are relatively inedible raw, such as raw broccoli, so those are avoided. A few like me have a bunch of carrots once in a blue moon, but that's about it.

I though broccoli was a cabbage ?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
I though broccoli was a cabbage ?
  My error. I just lump most veg together. Oh, I forgot , I also like raw radishes(aren't they root vegetables?)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:11:01 am »
AFAIK radishes are quite easily digestable
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:12:44 pm »
AFAIK radishes are quite easily digestable

Not for me.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:11 am »
Not for me.
Even if thoroughly chewed?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:22 pm »
Even if thoroughly chewed?

Raw veggies are pretty hard for me to digest, period.  I can eat a little bit, but I do have to eat them in moderation to avoid stomach pain. 

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »
What about some of the easier to digest vegetables? Lke cucumbers?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:25:06 pm »
Pickled ones - e.g. Polish style pickled cucumbers.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:04:40 am »
Now that I think about it carrots are kinda heavy in my stomach. Is this bad?

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 06:06:55 am »
Thats why its better to juice vegetables rather than eat them whole

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:49 am »
Yah but that also concentrates anti nutrients.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:30:35 am »
dont worry about those anti-nutrients, it's just a mind worry/game.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:08 am »
Yah I kinda feel like thats true but at the same time if we are eating a true rp diet than you wouldn't be drinking vege juice.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26:54 am »
Yah I kinda feel like thats true but at the same time if we are eating a true rp diet than you wouldn't be drinking vege juice.
No, you wouldn't.
Juicing breaks everything down right up front which causes difficulties with a quick influx of sugars. You also don't get the benefits of saliva's action on the vegetables.
I personally don't eat vegetables, nor plan on ever adding them back into my diet, but if I did I'd eat them either whole or chewing them up and spitting out the fiber.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:55 am »

Cucumber skin is hard to digest.  The rest of it is pretty easy.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »
Is this true for other vegetables like carrots? If i peel the skin will that amke it easier to digest???

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 06:16:54 pm »
dont worry about those anti-nutrients, it's just a mind worry/game.
  This is just a load of b*ll and it's irresponsible for you to make such a claim. There are plenty of ex-Primal Dieters who have reported all sorts of health-problems while drinking the huge amounts of veggie-juice that AV recommends(25% of diet!).
" Ron Paul.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »
Well bullshit might seem too much of a harsh word considering people have healed cancer as well as other diseases with juicing. Best to listen to what your body says and not what some scientific man is lab coat says. I suspect the benefits outweigh the potential problems and that most do fine with it.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:08 am »
It depends what you are comparing it to...
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline afroza

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »
It is always so much confusion on this forum about AV contra paleo, I don´t know why. The two have nothing to do with each other.
 Aajonus PD is a diet that he has developed over the years, trial/error way, and consist of what works for him (struggeling with some difficult diseases in the past) and his clients. You can divide the PD into two parts:

1. The foods that are good for you due to evolutionary reasons, foods that have suited humans since our hunter-gatherer past. This are meats, fats and 5 % carbs (in form of one low carb fruit a day for example, or wild berries), that turns into alchohol and helps digest meats.

2. The other part of the diet is the foods that are supposed to compensate for a life time of eating cooked foods, and are not part of a paleo diet. This is first veggie juices from low carb, mainly green, veggies to give some of the enzymes back to people who have eaten lots of cocked foods. And secondly dairy, that is suppose to give extra minerals back to people who have eaten a mineral deficient diet before, (everyone, but especially vegetarians). This is also to compensate for not getting enough or good quality milk from our mothers. It is natural for us to nurse for many years. He recognizes that some people are not doing well on any carbs, and should avoid veggiejuice and fruits alltogether. Kids that grows up on raw meat does not have to drink veggie juice ever, according to AV. He also states that some people does not digest milk even when fermented, room temperature and honey added for extra digestive enzymes, and they should avoid it totally.
He does not recommend anybody to eat whole veggies (since we can´t digest them and they interfere with the Ph-balance in our stomach, it has to be acid if you eat RAF), and if you don´t have a juicer he recommends that you chew some cellery or other low carb veggies and spit the pulp, for enzymes (if you feel you need them) and for hydration.

It´s all about finding what works for you. Myself, I started out as a strict PD, but have no taste for the veggiejuice more (so I don´t drink it) but I still enjoy raw butter, cream and milk. I think that this might be a temporary phase as well, and I will end up a pure raw paleo eventually. If my body wants dairy I will provide, if I loose the taste for it, or notice any other bad effects from it, then I will quit it.

Offline raw meat man

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:13 pm »
You should NEVER eat carbohydrates! Its all about being in a ketogenic state and using FAT as fuel. If you eat carbs you will get diabeties, just look at society today! Sometimes I just eat oil for 7 days. As much as I care for. If you feel your gallbladder it just means the raw fats are cleansing out the old fatty residues from cooked meat. If it hurts then you need to drink more. During these mono oil weeks I strictly do not drink any water. Its called an Oil pull-gall bladder flush. Has anyone else done these?

Carbs are an addiction!! Be strong and say no to honey, fruit, baked potato or even oysters as these have way too much sugar for the human endocrine system to handle!

Sugar addiciton will be detoxified in a few years so stay strong. If you really crack then eat a fully green banana or 2. But even then its better not to. Discipline if your friend, dont be weak! EAT MORE FAT IF YOU CRAVE SUGAR! its simply your body crying out for fat. The more fat we eat, the fatter we can become and therefore we can help remove the old toxins. Ive put on 36lbs in the last 3 months of pure fat and Im damn proud of it! >D

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 03:50:14 pm »

oysters have sugar? That's new.

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »
what exactly is this oil raw man?what type of fat i am asking

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk