Author Topic: I'm new - my body led me here...  (Read 15046 times)

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I'm new - my body led me here...
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:16:53 am »
Hello!

I just wanted to say hello, get the first post out of the way and ask some questions.

I've eaten a "clean" diet most of my adult life. I have been paleo for over a year. I found myself cooking my steaks and burgers super raw. I also kept leaning toward sashimi (don't eat much of it b/c of availability/cost). So, I googled and found this place! Yeah. :)

I'm still riding with training wheels, just eating meat that has been quickly seared. I cook things like kale and broccoli. I do make 'kraut when I carve out the time. I'd love to ferment more veggies. I feel concerned about eating raw cruciferous veggies with a thyroid issue (Hashimoto's).

I recently stopped eating eggs altogether (like them raw in coconut milk). I stopped b/c I read that in Robb Wolf's book that people with autoimmune issues should try going egg-free for 30 days.

Here come some questions. Are there any special considerations for people with autoimmune issues? Also, anyone have thoughts on eggs in regard to this? I wonder if raw would be ok, compared to cooked.

I look forward to hanging out here more and getting more and more into RAFs.

Thanks!
spicegirl

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: I'm new - my body led me here...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:05 am »
Most people on RVAF diets do better when removing all auto-immune diseases from their diet via removing all cooked foods. They also prefer not eating raw veggies, even juiced ones, in this regard.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:28 am »
Hi Tyler!

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that most people with autoimmune are helped by sticking with raw veggies?

I eat lots of raw veggies, just certain ones I cook. I'm open though, especially to trying different approaches and seeing how they "feel" and how my body responds.

Thanks!
:)

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:41 am »
No, he's saying avoid raw veggies, stick with raw animal foods.

But If I were you I'd experiment with all raw foods, including raw veggies, including juiced and see what works for you.

But ditto on the cooked foods, remove anything from your system that is going to look like an invader. Maybe focus on easily digestible animals foods and eating actual raw thyroid along with other organs and glands from animals on their native diets.

I'm sure others will chime in on dealing with thyroid issues. But autoimmune business is tricky, you've got to be really gentle with your system, as supportive and nurturing as possible and also totally aware of your reactions to inputs, as I'm sure you know.

Welcome, read lots, experiment, don't let anyone intimidate you in to or out of therapies you might find helpful!

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:17:18 am »
Thanks, Let'sCO!

Yes, I am incredibly in touch with my body. It is wild. I know exactly when I've eaten something that doesn't vibe with it.

The good news is that I feel really good when I keep it clean. And, I'm very "in touch" in general b/c of this. I love that.

I do eat a lot of organic baby spring mix salads. They feel right, but other, tougher veggies just seem wrong for me to eat raw.

BTW, I PMed you about one of your other posts where you talked about eating lots of coconut. Do you just eat raw coconuts? I can't stand the oil, smells and tastes horrible to me (and i'm pretty tolerant of new tastes). I think fresh might work for me. Though, I keep my diet REALLY low carb. That def helps with the hashi's. Guess I can just try and see how it fits for me, but was curious.

Thanks and cheers!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:57:32 am »
Strange! I didn't gots no PM from you, maybe you're not allowed to yet since you're a new member?? Not sure what that's about, I'd think it would let you know if that was not one of your privileges!?!

Anyway, yep, I buy the whole, young coconut (though I'm not opposed to mature, they're a pain to me to process though and wayyyy tougher to chew)

They sell the young ones for about $1.50ea here in MN and they're quite heavenly! If you've got a good coco knife, which means it's sturdy, strong metaled, and fairly sharp, all it should take is 4 quick whacks on the top in a square large enough to scoop out the insides and you've got yourself a sweet, decadent, nutrient rich treat. Drink or ferment the water, then scoop out the flesh with a strong spoon. Or you can blend the flesh with the liquid for a yum smoothie, if you can tolerate other fruits you can add them, but then you're beginning to sugar bomb yourself. Sugar is a problem for me, so I go easy on it always. And my guess is that it's probably not too welcome in your system either in large quantities.

I haven't had a coconut since last summer, since it is when it's 90F+ out that I really crave them cold from the fridge, but I would eat them year round if they were easily available and in my budget. $1.50ea is a steal though as I've seen the same brands in the co-ops for $6.99ea !?!?!?!

If you have trouble sourcing whole, young coconuts, or find it too much of a burden to process them, a distant second is the whole flesh which can be termed manna or butter, at health food stores. This will not likely be raw, and is not the most palatable stuff on the planet at room temp, but as far as nourishment goes, it's reasonable. Maybe think about starting a journal so others can benefit from your experiments and we can continue to discuss there!

EDIT: I just reread and saw you mention you keep it low carb, cool, then you might definitely consider making Kefir from the water of the fresh young coco's. Does your body like fermented foods?

My baby bro and sister both suffer from autoimmune stuffs and even though I'm sure a raw diet would cure them, their parents are unwilling to take cooked foods from their diet or drugs from their 'therapies', so would love to hear more about how raw foods works for you! Cheers a best wishes!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:03:40 am by Let'sCopOut »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:14:51 am »
raw egg yolks from healthy farm fresh eggs(read: better than "organic valley", from a local pasture etcc.) can be very healing, also it might benefit you to season your veggies and meat with kelp and dulse, which are high in iodine and other minerals which will be beneficial to your thyroid.  cooking or fermenting most of your veggies is the way to go! makes them more digestible.  also not going to extremes of any diet is excellent advice.  if you are okay with some cooked veg then eat em, if they dont make you feel well then dont.  if you crave more raw meat, eat more meat, if you want more fats try taking fatty fish or anything with high omega-3 to see if that isnt the reason you crave.  trust your body and figure out what works best for you as an individual

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:47:42 am »
Hi Let'sCO!

First, I'm sorry to hear about your siblings issues with autoimmune. Must be frustrating to know there are healthier and gentler options than meds. Grr.

Well, when I dropped grains over a year ago and my body responded favorably. There's less attack on my thyroid. I could feel it pressing a bit, and talking felt "strained."

Believe it or not, I used to make coconut kefir from fresh young green coconuts about 10 years ago! I've been at this a while. :)  I read about it in Body Ecology Diet. Even back then I was drawn to that diet for the simplicity the fermented veggies, and the sushimi, etc.

See you around!
sg

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:35:53 am »
Thanks Jessica,

That is pretty much the philosophy I follow, though, it is going to take me a bit to figure out some things. I feel supported here though.

sg

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:55:08 am »
I find that vitamin D is very helpful for autoimmune problems. Eating high-fat and low-carb is also very beneficial, as it supports the action of the vitamin D.  I have several autoimmune problems that I use vitamin D for, it keeps them under control.

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 08:27:44 am »
Hi CK,

Thanks! I usually take at least 5000 iu of D per day, sometimes 10k.

And yes, I'm really drawn to the high-fat, low-carb. When I first started eating more red meat (about a year ago), I couldn't get enough ribeye steaks (very rare). I craved the fat, it was wild.

Love being here. Feels like home!  :)

sg

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:40:48 am »
Hello,

Would love to hear more results of your experiments.  Egg free is worth doing. 

Remember that duck eggs are different from chicken eggs.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »
the fat in a ribeye steak is a lot for a steak but still nothing. Try to get something like a big chunk of suet so you can really have some fat to munch on. Also raw butter is another fat source I use that has been going great for me but dairy is more controversial.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »
I'd also recommend adding raw wild fish into your diet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:57:01 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

CitrusHigh

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »
Hey SG, just a thought. I assume your vitamins are in supplement form? A lot of times they are extracted with solvents like kerosene, ethanol or acetone. Supplements aren't ideal period, but may be ok for some people. However with something touchy like an autoimmune issue(s), might be worth considering as a possible problem. Green Pasture's Fermented Cod or Skate Liver oils are a whole food that is relatively unprocessed in comparison to vitamins and other fish oils (including all other cod liver oils). They are a great source of vitamin D and A. They're not cheap, but they last for several months at the recommended dosage and give a LOT more bang for the buck since you get other critical vitamins like k2 and myriad other compounds we don't even know much about. Cheers!

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »
Thanks Troll and Let'sCO!

Let'sCO - I'm on it. I do want some of the liver oils you mention. I also am pretty careful about my supplements, though I could probably be more so.

Troll - Thanks for the reminder about different types of eggs. Raw yolks don't bother me, though I'm not in love yet. :)  I do enjoy raw fish very much and will get more into my diet. I'm a little frugal about it, but I do think it will pay off.

Started my day with a raw breakfast. Feeling good about it.

I have tallow (my local organic, grass fed/finished source supplies it).  I'll have to see where I can get suet.  Do you guys just eat it???

I have a question about raw organ meat. The local/organic is usually frozen. I only need a little bit at a time raw. Do you let it thaw a little and then cut some off?

Again, I feel so at home here. Thank you!!!

sg
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:52:58 pm by spicegirl_0101 »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:43 am »
Tallow is just suet rendered so see if you can get the suet from the person you get the tallow from.

Frozen is not as good as raw. Dont worry about letting your meat stay out in the fridge for a while either. The fermented liver oils I would call a food not a supplement.
Check out eatwild.com to see if you can find a supplier for fresh meats.

I find the best way to get into the diet is to go cold turkey and eat only raw foods. Thats what I did and it worked for me. The longer you go without eating cooked foods the more you will forget about them. I dont even remember what it tastes like 6 months in and dont rave it at all. I love my living foods and no longer understand why people would put anything valuable to them in a fire including food. Fire destroys things.
-----------

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
Thanks TrollOTD,

Yeah, I had a raw burger for lunch (hidden among cukes and lettuce for the work fridge). I cooked some pork for dinner (only b/c it was thawed) and didn't like it as well.

I'm not ready for anything other than beef and fish raw. IDK if I can eat raw poultry or pork. I just don't want to mess with that right now.

Thanks for the tips. Ordering Green Pastures CLO right now. :)

sg

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:12 am »
My meat right now is pretty much only beef and fish right now due to availability. I dont think its a caused me any problems yet. Even if you eat a lot of beef and think this isnt diverse enough, every fish is very nutritionally diverse and this should give you enough variety.
-----------

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 10:02:52 am »
TOTD,

Just a little report - today marks day three and I'm feeling great! I feel lighter and energetic. My thyroid is already less enlarged. I can tell by my voice (others wouldn't notice, it is easier to talk though!).

Funny thing is when I was at the market yesterday (there's a great all grass fed (and finished) market right in my town) I was considering a whole duck. I guess I'm moving right along!

I had beef tips today with some grass fed butter. Lovely!

Oh, and thought I'd share some funny irony - my new slow cooker came today (the company replaced the one I had that broke). I may still make bone broths, but just had to laugh when I got that.

Thanks for all the help getting started!

sg

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:05 am »
Just want to say a big thanks on the support that came from this thread and forum.

I'm a natural for this diet. I'm on day 6 and eating raw liver. Wow, I like it so much better than cooked!

I'm going to ferment some veggies (have done this off and on for years). Also will get some good eggs soon (they're here, just have to make it to that store).

:)
sg

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:25 am »
They also prefer not eating raw veggies, even juiced ones, in this regard.

No, he's saying avoid raw veggies, stick with raw animal foods.
Ah wah dis? That can't be what you mean, Tyler. Please explain--surely you don't mean to diss all veggies. Perhaps you mean temporarily while the immune system is hypersesensitized, right?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:12:43 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »
Raw vegetables contain lots of antinutrients so are best avoided, well, at least the ones highest in antinutrients, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:45:47 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline spicegirl_0101

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:43 pm »
Are there certain vegetables that have less anti-nutrients than others?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
In my opinion, vegetables are really something you have listen to your body as to whether they're right for you or not.

I do really well with some green veggies in my life. Less inflammation, faster healing of physical injury ie cuts heal faster.

This really applies to all food, but probably to a little greater extent with veggies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk