Author Topic: Re: Planning to ask the following things from Aajonus  (Read 4096 times)

William

Re: Planning to ask the following things from Aajonus
« on: April 16, 2010, 08:26:56 pm »

- Does EMF (electromagnetic fields) affect to food or make it's bioavaibility and/or nutrient level lower (my hypothesis)

You can answer that yourself. I'm doing it by experiment - I've dried jerky in a Lex dryer with and without the intense electric field made by an electric fan.
Preliminary result is that pemmican made without electricity tastes better.

The scientific method requires that the next step will be to duplicate airflow without a 60Hz electric field. If the hardware store has no suitable ducting that moves the fan 2' away I will build it.

[quote- How much fat do I need daily, when high pollution levels doesn't exist

All the records indicate =>80% by calory, ¼ of a piece of steak by volume. Note that fat is not as simple as we think. While meat/protein is endlessly discussed, the composition of various fats and their effect on our health is usually ignored.
[/quote]

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 05:03:35 am »
You can answer that yourself. I'm doing it by experiment - I've dried jerky in a Lex dryer with and without the intense electric field made by an electric fan.
Preliminary result is that pemmican made without electricity tastes better.
I agree. I eliminated electricity altogether (don't use a light bulb or a refrigerator) by just air-drying my jerky, ground beef and suet. It takes longer and uses more space but I think it tastes better.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:42:54 am »
    This is directly from one of his (his as in title of this topic) newsletters:

... you can make beef jerky and keep it in ...

RECIPE for jerky MEATS (less nourishing than semi-dried meats): Cut muscle meats into ½ inch x ½ inch x 2-10 inches strips. Allow to dry for 5 hours on plate in the sun if in a cool climate or in shade in a hot climate. Turn meat over and let dry for 5 hours on plate as instructed above. Turn meat over again and again and allow to stand for 5 hours on each side until meat is dry inside. Baste all surfaces of meat with olive oil and let stand for 30 minutes. ...

It's the only time he's mentioned jerky as far as I know.  I could be wrong.  Sounds like he has nothing to do with EMF if he can help it.  I still think he's never mentioned pemmican, as far as recommending it for something to a client or eating it himself.    
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »
Pemmican has never been mentioned as  Primal Diet food because it's not raw; simply put, AV's stance is naturally that any non-raw foods are unhealthy. by definition.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:06:19 am »
Yeah, I meant I agree re: jerky that is air-dried is tastier than dehydrator-dried. I don't even want to get William started on pemmican, so I'll just refrain from comment on that. ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:51:18 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

William

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:24 am »
I agree. I eliminated electricity altogether (don't use a light bulb or a refrigerator) by just air-drying my jerky, ground beef and suet. It takes longer and uses more space but I think it tastes better.

I would love to do that with ground beef, but haven't tried it yet for fear of rot. Did you put it on window screen?
Details?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:04 pm »
I slice up the packages of ground beef into fingers, put them on my dehydrator screens, uncovered, exposed to as much air as possible, and I turn the fingers of ground beef to expose all sides. I don't fear rot, I welcome it. I've found that the key appears to be to make sure there is oxygen available during the rotting process. Plastic cuts off oxygen and promotes pathogenic bacteria, so never rot stuff in plastic packages or other plastic containers. Aajonus' main method is to use a glass jar and open the lid periodically. I think his method probably promotes more bacteria, since it keeps the meat moist, but it produces a smellier and less tasty product. I currently use both methods, in case Aajonus' does produce more healthful bacteria. I think the meat produced by my method is just "aged" meat, not high meat.

Aajonus apparently also uses the aging method by just putting meat on a plate exposed to air (and sunlight in cold climates). That's how I accidentally first aged some meat, by leaving it on the counter and forgetting about it and then finding the air-exposed side to be pleasantly crunchy/chewy and tasty. Using a plate instead of a screen is slower, because the underside stays moist and doesn't dry/age.

After a few days the aged meat aquires an interesting mustardy taste. I wouldn't say the flavor is better than fresh, just different, about equal, and the texture and crunchewiness of the crust is a mouth-feel improvement that also makes the beef nice and dry so I can hold it with my fingers.

I have dried jerky (thin slices of top round steak or liver) this way too and the product is also superior to the heat-dried method. (Note: I'm not big on the liver jerky because, as with steak jerky, it concentrates the flavor and I'm not yet big on the sweet taste of liver.) It's not surprising, since air-drying is how Native Americans make their jerky and is a gentler process. Luckily I live alone, so there's no one to gross out with the meat lying out all the time. When I have visitors I re-assemble the dehydrator to cover the meat. If they were staying long I might put the meat in the fridge on warm days, because it appears to get moist again when I cover it, even in the dehydrator.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:03:07 am by PaleoPhil »

William

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:09:59 am »
Thanks. I think I will try it without heat & with a little airflow, since AFAIK the indians who dried the most lived in the western plains, windy places.

William

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »
Still concerned about the material of window screen for drying screens so google and got hits, all the first from the U.K.
Regulations are different for some things in Europe, so that's not reliable for me.
This one is the best answer so far:http://solarcooking.org/dryingreview.htm   -  crap title, as it's not about cooking.
I'd rather not use plastic.

It mentions that a reason not to use window screen is that bits  of fiberglass might get in the food, but if they could be detached this would be a serious health hazard - poisons inhaled are always worse than eaten. Does not make sense.

Might end up making drying screens from the same material supposed to be used by the local Indians baskets - it's the wood of a tree very flexible when young, and I have many nearby.
(when I asked the name, he said what sounded like "orn", it's French, didn't know th English name, and I can't find it with google translate. (sp?)  )

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk