Author Topic: sun tea  (Read 7912 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
sun tea
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:35 am »
it is cool. I make it. You should too.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: sun tea
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:15:46 pm »
What kind?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »
Put nonsense, non-rawpalaeo topics like these in the Hot Topics forum in future where they belong.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »
Put nonsense, non-rawpalaeo topics like these in the Hot Topics forum in future where they belong.
lol
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:41:24 pm by Ferocious »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:16 pm »
y'all had grumpy tea for breakfast

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
y'all had grumpy tea for breakfast
ROFLMAO
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:37 am »

Its probably not paleo since they didnt have glass jars (unless you could get the same effect without glass, I havent tried) but it is raw since its being heated by the sun, which happened to the herbs their whole life anyway. Unless you want to call a fruit that fell from the tree and was laying around for a day not raw then this tea is definitly raw.

I put barberry root bark, dandelion root, milk thistle seeds, and oregon grape root in the glass jar with water and leave it out the whole day. It gains the same color as a tea with hot water and just as much flavor but I dont feel somewhat cloudy minded and weighed down by it like when I made tea with water heated in a stove. ( never boiling though.
-----------

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:41:06 am »
Its probably not paleo since they didnt have glass jars (unless you could get the same effect without glass, I havent tried) but it is raw since its being heated by the sun, which happened to the herbs their whole life anyway. Unless you want to call a fruit that fell from the tree and was laying around for a day not raw then this tea is definitly raw.

I put barberry root bark, dandelion root, milk thistle seeds, and oregon grape root in the glass jar with water and leave it out the whole day. It gains the same color as a tea with hot water and just as much flavor but I dont feel somewhat cloudy minded and weighed down by it like when I made tea with water heated in a stove. ( never boiling though.

Trollofthedungeon,

Let's not be too hasty here. There may have been a forest fire (which is paleo) which melted some sand which dripped into an animal track, creating a jar, maybe a bird passing overhead carrying plant material to make a nest, dropped some which landed in the cooled jar, then it rained and the rest is gourmet history.

Sounds reasonable considering some of the leaps that anthropologists make.
Cheers
Al

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:00:27 am »

wow thats a great idea! i'm gonna try it

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:03:21 am »
wow thats a great idea! i'm gonna try it
Exactly and it's just as likely as the story somebody made up about lightning being the start of life. LOL

Wow I guess that makes me a scientist. Hey Mom I finally did something with my life.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:07:42 am »
Actually we used to make the tea. It's probably not strictly paleo, but it's raw and it does actually taste good, depending on ingredients of course. So it does not result in upset stomach like regular boiled tea does for me.

At one time we put a large glass water dispenser out on the porch where the sun could get at it. One of those upside down 5 gallon jars which drained into a porcelain jug with a spout.

The water was pleasant.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:29:38 am »
I have about half a dozen sun tea jars! Traditionally sun teas were made with delicate leaves and flowers. Interesting how you used tough barks and seeds. Sounds like a very nice mix. I'll have to try your "brand" of tea. ;)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:40:42 am »
The original Ayurvedic texts mention a list of hundreds of tree barks that can be used as laxatives or purgatives for general cleansing.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:42 am »
The original Ayurvedic texts mention a list of hundreds of tree barks that can be used as laxatives or purgatives for general cleansing.

With sun tea or were those tree barks made in boiled water tea, decoction or tincture?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:07:46 am »
With sun tea or were those tree barks made in boiled water tea, decoction or tincture?
I was reacting to your mention of his mention of barks.  ;D  It would take some research to determine.

Kinda vague answer I realize.. ;)
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:42 am »
I was reacting to your mention of his mention of barks.  ;D  It would take some research to determine.

Kinda vague answer I realize.. ;)

That's ok - doesn't really matter since Troll has proven that sun tea works with barks too! That's nice to know. I never would have thought to try that.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Exactly and it's just as likely as the story somebody made up about lightning being the start of life. LOL
Wow I guess that makes me a scientist. Hey Mom I finally did something with my life.
I didn't read your reply properly Ferocious. Then I reacted! LOL I thought you were replying to my reply. It's all to confusing, maybe i need some sun tea. LOL
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:07 pm »
I never even thought about if barks and seeds worked as well with the sun tea. I just took the tea I would normally make and did with the sun instead. And it turned out better than usual.
-----------

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:54 am »
I never even thought about if barks and seeds worked as well with the sun tea. I just took the tea I would normally make and did with the sun instead. And it turned out better than usual.

Just shows to go ya that sometimes studying what everyone else has done before doesn't always work the best. Points for serendipity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk