Author Topic: wapf salt article  (Read 12510 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: wapf salt article
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 03:11:44 am »
Satya is rather occupied with a complicated piece of work right now but she was willing to give  a few more details. If you want to be pedantic, you could ask her perhaps in a couple of months for extremely exact details when she can check up more re exact names/dates, but it's not necessary.

Here is what she said:-

"It was a ranch in the US state of Florida that was using orange pulp and rinds - refuse from the orange juice industry - to supplement the cattle's feed.  I do believe the cattle were for beef, not dairy.  Some members in that local WAPF chapter complained about it.  Sally supported the rancher for this practice and did not ask for a change to more traditional methods.  They did not spell out this situations to members at all.  I cannot imagine that this feed was good for the cattle or their beef.

But much worse than that imo is Sally's position on breastfeeding.  In fact, I would have to say that from a general perspective, her biggest problem is with personal bias clouding her judgment.  You see, Sally could not successfully breastfeed.  And so in her position as leader of the WAPF, she is nearly anti-breastfeeding.  I am sorry, but for mammals, it doesn't get any more primal/paleo/whathaveyou than feeding an infant the right food.  You can see ample evidence of this stance in the healthy children section of their site, beginning with "breastfeeding saga" article.  http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health  Beyond that, she has taken a soft stance on smoking, as her father smoked.  She is anti alcohol (not a bad thing really) because of her upbringing.  And she has admitted that the reason she is anti pork in her book is because Mary Enig is a practicing Jew.  I think anyone who is going to recommend a diet for people should really keep personal matters out of policy decisions.  certainly we all have personal anecdotes about this and that that we share with others who might try the same things on their own or not.  But to paint breastfeeding or pork as inherently bad does a disservice to the ancestral health community."

Quite frankly, Satya has shown just how corrupt Sally Fallon is. I mean, a lot of the tribes/peoples WP visited drank alcohol, so it is hardly appropriate to exclude it from a WAPF diet purely for Prohibition-era-derived biases. The bit about pork is appalling, too. Because of the  ridiculous Judaeo-Islamic views towards pigs, pigs have been unfairly damned as being unclean(they are actually very clean animals when not shut up in tiny cages by humans without means to get rid of the waste products); they've also been damned as being stupid(they are actually considered to be the 4th most intelligent type of mammal/animal, well should be 5th as humans are also mammals/animals).

Being pro-smoking is pretty ghastly given that so many people have died early from smoking, and the anti-breastfeeding issue is absolutely disgraceful, and so anti-WP let alone anti-palaeo/anti-rawpalaeo.

Apologies re the grainfeeding mention on my part, but refuse from orange-juice products is hardly good either.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:07:13 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:54 am »
I have a theory that salt is needed more by ruminants and vegetable eaters than carnivores. The animal fat might take the place of drinking as much water and many fats already have lots of minerals. When drinking a lot of water and eating produce containing a lot of water I think then the salt probably becomes more necessary. That's my theory as of late.

Watercure2.com is a very interesting site when considering the importance of salt TOD.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:40 am »
Fascinating stuff. Satya has always been a font of information. Thanks for taking the time to investigate and share, Tyler. Your willingness to actually do some research and provide evidence instead of just embrace the latest whim of a guru is so rare these days. It seems like most folks just want to regurgitate soundbites that fit their predetermined agenda without having to put any effort into truly investigating anything. Of course, just because Sally Fallon acted poorly on grassfed cattle doesn't necessarily mean that she's utterly wrong on anything to do with salt, but it does raise some questions.

You're not saying that people with salt deficiencies that have been confirmed with testing should be afraid of adding unprocessed sea salt to their food, as a temporary therapeutic measure, are you?

I have no dog in the hunt, other than that a chiropractor did a urinalysis on me that found a supposed salt deficiency (I'm skeptical of most chiropractors, so I'm not saying that the test was necessarily valid) and I've never noticed any harm from unprocessed sea salt, but I do wonder whether salt has been excessively demonized by the popular media in recent decades. Chris Kresser offers an alternative non-WAPF opinion on the subject in a some recent blog posts:

http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-human-need-for-salt
http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-when-salt-reduction-may-be-warranted
http://healthybabycode.com/why-low-salt-diets-are-dangerous-during-pregnancy

That's not to say that Chris is necessarily right, just that there are different opinions from reasonable folks on the subject, which I haven't yet researched thoroughly myself.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:51:34 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:07 am »
fwiw, if i have anything to do with the ethics tangent, i didn't mean to (but if the shoe fits!)  i said it 'reads like' she is being paid by salt companies because it has that persuasive vibe instead of an honest one.  i could care less whether she writes about salt being great or terrible.  i know how i feel when i eat it, and that's what i trust.

i don't know why you took offense TOTD.... why not just eat a reputable brand and see how you feel and make your own decision?... some people seem to feel they need and do well with it while others don't. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:02:59 pm by Ioanna »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
fascinating tyler, however I have no idea how bad the orange pulp and rind would be to the cows. definitely not as bad grain.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:56:36 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
cows are designed for leaves and grass. A small amount might not be an issue but I cannot imagine a diet of it would be good.
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 10:07:04 pm »
    Not just leaves, grass and no salt. I've seen cows with plenty of greenery around go "ape" over fruit. They quickly suck whole fruits down their throats and spit out the pits right away. They can eat fruit better than I can. I didn't feed them oranges, just because I didn't have oranges when I was with the cows. I fed them fruit that grew in their fields.

I had some swelling since my period last month. It wasn't going down. I don't normally use salt. I don't recommend it, as I do not know why the salt got rid of the swelling. About two weeks ago I got a craving for salt. I ate almost pure salt, a lot, at one sitting! The next morning? All my swelling was gone. The swelling has not come back yet. I have not repeated the salt. I know what I did is not Weston Price. It was more like instinct? Or craving.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:01:26 am »
Watercure2.com is interesting when it comes to salt. Zi - according to that if you don't have salt you can't absorb water into the cells and that's where swelling comes from.

Al - I meant eating greenery seems to make animals and people want/need salt in my little experience.

Zi - that's so cool that cows like fruit! Never new that.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:58 am »
Watercure2.com is interesting when it comes to salt. Zi - according to that if you don't have salt you can't absorb water into the cells and that's where swelling comes from.

Zi - that's so cool that cows like fruit! Never new that.

Thanks D. I think I had that book over a decade ago. 

Yep. Maybe green is better for cows.  They liked everything I gave them, except flour products (which I only had possession of a couple of times back then), but fruit and vegetables the best.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 05:11:42 am »
    Not just leaves, grass and no salt. I've seen cows with plenty of greenery around go "ape" over fruit. They quickly suck whole fruits down their throats and spit out the pits right away. They can eat fruit better than I can. I didn't feed them oranges, just because I didn't have oranges when I was with the cows. I fed them fruit that grew in their fields.

I had some swelling since my period last month. It wasn't going down. I don't normally use salt. I don't recommend it, as I do not know why the salt got rid of the swelling. About two weeks ago I got a craving for salt. I ate almost pure salt, a lot, at one sitting! The next morning? All my swelling was gone. The swelling has not come back yet. I have not repeated the salt. I know what I did is not Weston Price. It was more like instinct? Or craving.

Lots of great info there regarding cow diet and salt. very interesting about your swelling going down. definitly gonna experiment with some himalayan salt after hearing that.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk