Author Topic: Help finding Legit Olive Oil and Pasture raised eggs  (Read 19555 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Legit Olive Oil and Pasture raised eggs
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2013, 09:50:51 am »
My grandfather used to feed his chickens flax seeds decades ago, and he died before the notion of "omega 3" came about. It seems to be an old practice that got somewhat of a revival. Then I noticed that some of the egg sellers that used to feed their chickens flax seeds switched to grains and soy plus omega 3 supplements (cheaper).

I found one of the claims re: Salatin: "Joel Salatin has to use grain to produce chicken. I've written before that this model is unsustainable. It's not possible to produce truly pastured American-style chicken." http://www.huntgatherlove.com/content/myth-sustainable-meat-and-james-mcwilliams

What's your take on that?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:59:17 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
one thing,  having travelled the world, at least in most latin countries, men have wives,  which they want fat, so that they are not feeling anxious that another man will take her away from him.  And then they have an affair with a younger, slimmer women.  I found this to be true and explained to me several times in as many different parts of the world.  So, maybe there's a more complete notion to the idea of woman are most beautiful when they are plump.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 12:48:46 am »
I saw a documentary on that. Very interesting. They drank so much milk they'd throw up. lol

can you tell me the name of the documentary please?

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 12:55:09 am »
one thing,  having travelled the world, at least in most latin countries, men have wives,  which they want fat, so that they are not feeling anxious that another man will take her away from him.  And then they have an affair with a younger, slimmer women.  I found this to be true and explained to me several times in as many different parts of the world.  So, maybe there's a more complete notion to the idea of woman are most beautiful when they are plump.

Have you traveled to a olive-oil consuming country (legit olive oil)? If so, how healthy were these individuals and were they skinny normal or fat|?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 12:56:43 am »
can you tell me the name of the documentary please?

I don't know. I started watching half way through. I think it was on the discovery channel. Basically this specific culture in Africa would force the young girls to eat to fatten them up to make them attractive for men later on. They'd literally force feed them till they'd vomit on many occasions.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 01:02:49 am »
Have you traveled to a olive-oil consuming country (legit olive oil)? If so, how healthy were these individuals and were they skinny normal or fat|?

people almost anywhere look healthier than in america.
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 07:09:26 am »
I have a bottle of Laurel Hill unfiltered organic extra virgin olive oil. I think I prefer it a bit over the Filippo Berio filtered EVOO I usually bought in the past, but I should do a taste test some day.

Here's some tips on EVOO from Mark Sisson:

"I recently came across a California unfiltered, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil at the Santa Monica Trader Joe’s for around $7 a pint. This is far better than the jug of imported Greek oil I used to buy there (luckily, it was sold out, or else I might have gone with it like always). It’s drinkable, straight from the bottle, and it doesn’t coat your mouth in a jarring way. Don’t get me wrong – it’s oil, but it’s lighter and more delicate than most. Plus, it has that herbaceous olive scent that you want in an olive oil. When it goes down, you get that peppery aftertaste on your throat (that’s the antioxidant tocopherol content and a sign that the oil comes from the first harvest).

When choosing an oil, treat it a bit like wine and engage your senses. Smell it – it should smell like olives, very clean and almost like grass and apples. Don’t rely too much on sight – the color of an oil is easily manipulated. Instead, go with the one that really matters: taste. Take a half teaspoon or so into your mouth and swirl it around (again, like wine). First and foremost, it should taste like olives, but there are other flavors in the best oils. Grassiness, apples, even fennel are pretty common in really great olive oil. If it’s metallic-tasting, it’s probably rancid. If it’s light, delicious, and barely coats your mouth (without feeling greasy), it’s probably great stuff. And then my favorite part, the finish. The best oils from the first harvest with the highest antioxidant content will leave a spicy finish on your throat, like mild peppers.

Just experiment. Keep trying them until you find one you like. The different varietals are all unique, so your journey might be a long one."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-all-olive-oil-created-equal/#ixzz2Uub1Z8q3

Regarding plump women as traditionally appealing, I've seen both male and female Jamaican (in person and via video) and Kitavan people (via video) compliment women by telling them they look fat (and other terms they use to mean fat, or at least thick and curvy - fit, plump, thick, healthy, pretty, juicy, ...).

"Those who have big legs and fat body, like arms too..., they look pretty when they wear grass skirts." - Kitavan woman, Tribal Wives Kitava, Tribal Wives: Kitava

The Venus of Willendorf
http://www.donsmaps.com/willendorf.html

"Thin may be in now, but prehistoric men 15,000 years ago preferred full-figured gals, suggest dozens of flint figurines excavated from a Paleolithic hunting site in Poland. ... Most of the carvings show a slight curve in the breast area. Very exaggerated curves depict the buttocks, while tiny rounded tops served as heads." - Cavemen Preferred Full-Figured Ladies, Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News, March 27, 2007, http://www.archaeology.ws/2007-4-3.htm

Female figurines from Wilczyce, Poland. 1-8, flint, 9, ivory, 10, bone
Antiquity Publications Ltd, published in Fiedorczuk et al. 2007

Venus of Hohle Fels

"A woman has to have strong legs to make a man happy." - Yesugei Baghatur (father of Temujin / Ghenghis Khan) in Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan

"I don't want no woman with no skinny legs" - Joe Tex (black blues musician, Southern USA, Skinny Legs and All song
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk