Author Topic: Grassfed vs grainfed marrow?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Adam

• Forager
    • View Profile
Grassfed vs grainfed marrow?
« on: June 25, 2010, 11:08:21 am »
Im just starting the raw paleo diet and enjoy marrow very much. Unfortunately in the US one grass fed marrow bone is $3.50! Grainfed is merely $3 for 5-6 marrow bones. So my question is, does the nutrition of grassfed vs grainfed marrow make a difference when it comes to marrow?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Grassfed vs grainfed marrow?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:53 pm »
I think it makes an even bigger difference then lean meat vs. lean meat. The Omega 3:6 ratio is the biggest difference between grass & grain and this is inherently found in the fat.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »
Is it also right that excesses will be stored in the marrow such as 'toxins'? To a greater degree than in other tissues?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:13:26 pm »
Is it also right that excesses will be stored in the marrow such as 'toxins'? To a greater degree than in other tissues?

No, toxins are stored mainly in the liver, and, to a lesser degree, in fatty body deposits, from what I understand.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:40:13 pm »
    I would go with what's grass-fed and grass finished.  Remember bovine marrow is almost solidly fat.  Grain makes toxins that store in fat.  Too many cows in the US have leukemia.  It's from grain feeding, partially it is.  I'm not sure which parts.  Some rpf members know for sure, if you look back in the archives.  I would tell them I want the fatty marrow, for the fat to be all the way through.

You're the guy in the beginning of today's duriarider video?  You believe that raw whale blubber causes osteoporosis?  
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline MarkC

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:52:22 pm »
I've had trouble locating a cheap source of grassfed bone marrow. Best reliable source I have costs me £5 per bone (4 - 5 kg), including shipping costs. Yesterday I went to a local butcher and got a big grainfed marrow bone (chopped in half) for just £1. It weighed almost 6 kg but I was able to extract only 150 g of marrow. It tasted quite disgusting compared to grassfed marrow. I felt sick after eating it and it didn't digest well. Won't be doing that again. It seems the grain in the cows diet dramatically lowers the quality of the fats like marrow. I can eat small amounts of grainfed beef muscle meat without any significant issues, although the taste is not as good as grassfed and there is a higher risk of infections.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:49:22 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »
I know, I've eaten raw, grainfed marrow in Italy, and it was a real struggle to  swallow the tasteless stuff.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

You're the guy in the beginning of today's duriarider video?  You believe that raw whale blubber causes osteoporosis?   

We have a DR troll here?  Where's that video?  Who's the troll?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk