Author Topic: Dry skin, cold shower therapy...  (Read 27545 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Dry skin, cold shower therapy...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 08:39:37 pm »
That's interesting.  I wonder if his wife sits among my family tree somewhere?!  Do you know any details about her?

Sorry, no mention of her name online.

Wouldn't that be incredible if we could both trace our family tree back to her?!  I find it bizarre that Edward would decide to change his name for that of his wife.  Do you know why he did that?
Basically, the FitzGeralds, according to Wikipedia, were one of the wealthiest families in England at the time, and it was customary for those men marrying into wealth or aristocracy to take their wife's name.

Have you ever made a visit to Ireland Tyler?  I went to stay with an Irish ex-girlfriend's mother 5 years or so ago who happened to live in the same region that the Fitzgerald's castle ruins stand.  Of course, I went to see the ruins but there was little left.  I don't know if there are other Fitzgerald castle's remaining elsewhere in Ireland.  I'd be interested in studying the family history a little more in-depth when I have the time.

I've visited Ireland numerous times. I haven't seen that castle, I mostly went to my family's little cottage in County Donegal near Glencolumbkille -lovely place . Funnily enough, my own Norman ancestors also went to live in Ireland. Unfortunately, they made the mistake of integrating with the local Catholic population and so eventually got dispossessed, centuries later, by the English, and became part of the "Wild Geese" working for Continental armies as mercenaries.

Actually, since I'm descended from a Baron of Loughmoe, this must be my ancestors' castle in Tipperary:-
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=73523906&blogId=273544793
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline moises

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 10:18:43 pm »
Regarding cold showers. I've been doing them for a few years. I haven't had a cold since I started them.

About 8-9 years ago I did them for a year. I did get one cold, which was still a big improvement. The reason I quit was because I had ears jammed full with earwax.

When I restarted the cold showers, I decided to clean out my ears weekly. On week A, I use an ear syringe (a kind of rubber bulb that you can buy cheaply at any drugstore in the US) filled with warm water. On week B, I put some olive oil in my ear and let it sit there for a few minutes. Then I turn on my side, and let it drain while the oil sits in the other ear. (I don't eat olive oil, but I do find it helpful for this purpose.)

I believe Lex Rooker says that he stopped getting earwax once he went to eating only raw meat. I've been all-meat, but raw, not cooked. It seemed to me that I was still producing earwax.

When I used to take hot showers, I would stay in the shower for a very long time. I suppose that the hot water would somehow find its way in my ear and dissolve the wax, even though I never made any effort to clean them.

Now that I take daily cold showers, I try to stay under the water, standing still, while I count to 60. At this time of year, in New York, it can be a challenge.

One method is to finish your hot shower with a cold burst. I just started cold turkey. But I started in the summer. That made it a lot easier.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:01 am »
I have a dry skin also. At the moment i take more olive oil (4 spoons a day). My dry skin is better.

Do you drink it?  Or apply it to your skin?  Or both?  I know people who put it on their skin and nails, and of course people who drink it in (gad awful sounding to me) flushes.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 09:19:17 am »
All plant oils when applied topically cause the skin to flake & dry ...

Use raw butter or raw cream, you guys shld know better lol  l)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 10:11:28 am »
All plant oils when applied topically cause the skin to flake & dry ...

Use raw butter or raw cream, you guys shld know better lol  l)

Cocoa butter is pretty good.

I know people who put it on their skin and nails, and ... flushes.

I thought I put hair, not skin, my bad.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 12:13:24 pm »
   Do you drink it?  Or apply it to your skin?  Or both?  I know people who put it on their skin and nails, and of course people who drink it in (gad awful sounding to me) flushes.
The main thing is to eat lots of fat, especially saturated and monounsaturated, since those make up the subcutaneous fat beneath the skin, apparently in about a 50-50 ratio. I find applying fat to the skin to be much less effective. External fat is most efficiently applied in wind-exposed areas like the forehead and water-exposed areas like the hands.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »
External fat is most efficiently applied in wind-exposed areas like the forehead and water-exposed areas like the hands.

That's where I get dry in the Winter mostly, my hands and my lips.  It it gets bitter windy cold, I'll apply fat.

Offline Kokki

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:23 pm »
If you consider cold as a therapy, you should move here. It`s winter around the year.  ;)

In their newest TV-program, Extreme Dudesons (group of fool finnish people) competed who dives the longest way under ice, naked. Besides that, they competed who survives the longest time in freezing frost (almost -30), naked again.

OT.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 12:11:41 pm »
If you consider cold as a therapy, you should move here. It`s winter around the year.  ;)

In their newest TV-program, Extreme Dudesons (group of fool finnish people) competed who dives the longest way under ice, naked. Besides that, they competed who survives the longest time in freezing frost (almost -30), naked again.

OT.

No doubt a continuation of The Polar Bear Club.

http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/~wgoedeck/polarbear/. We have received many inquiries about other Polar Bear Clubs and related topics. Please submit any information about clubs that you might know about to trygveb@powertech.no  so that we can both add and update information. We will credit contributors, unless requested not to do so. There is a similar list on Trygve Bauge's website, Links to icebathing clubs world wide .
# Belgium, Boom. ROYAL SWIMMING CLUB "DE IJSBEREN" ("THE POLAR BEARS"). During wintertime the swimming-pool of Boom (15 km south of Antwerp) is open, but not heated.  Along with the New Year's Day Plunge, this pool is open 4 days a week for regular ice swimmers.
# Ottawa Polar Bear Club, Canada. This is an offshoot of the Rideau Osgoode Karate Club.  Come join us on January 1st 1998, for this newly created yearly event, and help raise funds for the Children Hospital of Eastern Ontario. Contact Albert Ethier.
# Perth, Ontario, in Canada (about 1 hr west of Ottawa). There are several polar bear swims on Jan 1st in and around Ottawa, as reported by Don Clinton (12/30/98).
# Harbin, China. There is the annual winter Ice Carving Festival in this northeast city of China, also known as "Moscow of the Orient", and "Ice City".  The ice-carved sculptures are very elaborate.  Part of the festival includes trained winter swimmers partaking in aquatic shows.  For more information: http://www.netten.com/harbin.htm http://visit-china-97.com/4season/winter.htm#2 http://134.190.5.41/harbin/harbin.html
# Denmark has several clubs including one in Helsingør (Source: Trygve Bauge).
# Finland has thousands of saunas and icebathers associated with most of these (Trygve Bauge).
# The Boulder Polar Bear Club, Colorado. (Listed here for completeness.)The club was founded in 1983 by: Trygve Bauge , at trygveb@powertech.no  The club has since 1994 been run by: Walter Goedecke, at wgoedeck@mines.edu. The club's main event is the New Year's day dip at which 200-250 icebathers participate each year.
# Western Illinois University, in Macomb, Illinois. A new polar bear club to tentatively start in Macomb, by Brad Nadziejko
# North Beach Maryland Polar Swim Club, North Beach, Maryland. This was the first plunge (1998) held at North Beach, on the Chesapeake Bay. There were about 20 participants, and 150 onlookers. Next year we hope to have more participants, many said they'd bring a friend. Reported by Roy Crockett, at: roy@chesapeake.net
# The Hampton Chapter of the Polar Bear Club, an offshoot of the Midnight Swimmers , Hampton, New Hampshire. Yes, there is also a web page, so check it out! Founded this year (1998) by Dan Edgar.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »
I have pale Irish skin that was also very dry and flaky in areas. Cooling down my showers only helped a very tiny bit. The dry skin didn't clear until I eliminated the last of the carbs from my diet.

I've had a number of Irish friends that don't seem to ever eat vegetables, their families too.  Quite a number seem to have wheat, sugar and dairy problems.  Between blond and red hair, blue and green eyes, blushing cheeks, maybe they don't need to green their diets as they are colorful and animated enough already?

I cut down on the number of salads I had eaten in childhood.  I did some blending (energy soupTM).  That was better for me.  Steamed, sauteed, stewed or stir fried veges seems to help (less difficulty cause fiber is disintegrated).  Then back to more green juicing (less green fiber yet).  Greens are supposed to boost immunities.  Boosting immunities doesn't seem to help me, IMO.  I don't juice every day now.  I used to think I could live on literally vegetables.  Maybe I was addicted to green and fiber or something?  Anyway, I'm thinking of the uctds.info site you gave earlier and skin flaking you just mentioned now.  I think we know the connective tissue disorders involve food sensitivities.  I'm also thinking of Chinese 5 phase color theory.  The body seeks health and balance.  A way to safely safe bet with many people is to get all five color groups in every meal.  Depending on the person's constitution, some color groups may be better left out.  I'm just thinking a little.  I think it's bedtime.  See you tomorrow, same bat channel.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 05:21:25 pm »
I would be very careful re ascribing silly traits to irish-descended peoples. I have a very heavy amount of Irish ancestry and have visited Irish people in Ireland often. Most had no or very little access to plant-foods most of the time, raw or cooked, and looked very unhealthy during my visits.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:25 pm »
I would be very careful re ascribing silly traits to irish-descended peoples. I have a very heavy amount of Irish ancestry and have visited Irish people in Ireland often. Most had no or very little access to plant-foods most of the time, raw or cooked, and looked very unhealthy during my visits.

What kind of carb foods did they eat?  Potatoes?  In the realm of root vegetables, I find that to be a particularly unhealthy one. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:50 pm »
    What kind of carb foods did they eat?  Potatoes?  In the realm of root vegetables, I find that to be a particularly unhealthy one. 
Sure, potatoes, but also salads/seaweeds etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 10:20:20 pm »
... I have a very heavy amount of Irish ancestry and have visited Irish people in Ireland often. Most had no or very little access to plant-foods most of the time, raw or cooked, and looked very unhealthy during my visits.
<<Quote from: RawZi on Today at 03:30:25 AM
    What kind of carb foods did they eat?  Potatoes?  In the realm of root vegetables, I find that to be a particularly unhealthy one.>>

Sure, potatoes, but also salads/seaweeds etc.
So Tyler, are you saying that the Irish have "no or very little access to" potatoes, salads, seaweeds and other plant foods "most of the time, raw or cooked" or are you not counting potatoes, salads and seaweeds as plant foods? And what about oils, butters, cakes and biscuits, cereals and breads, sweets, soft drinks, crisps and chips? Any chance they eat any of that stuff and that it might contribute to their poor health?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:28:29 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 01:42:59 am »
Oh sure, they ate refined foods. It's just they rarely ate unrefined plant foods such as raw salads/raw fruits etc. They ate plenty of cooked meats.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk