Author Topic: Fish guts  (Read 9132 times)

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Fish guts
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:38:57 am »
 I just got some wild whitings for what I think is a fair price $4(usa)/lb. I asked the butcher to just scale my fish & save the guts & head. Which he found shocking but I assured him it was for my dog.

I know it's typical for most customers to discard this. Is it because of hazard issues or just cause of the look & taste? My question is, can I eat the guts/organs or is there a certain type of organ that I should avoid?

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Re: Fish guts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:15 pm »
I just got some wild whitings for what I think is a fair price $4(usa)/lb. I asked the butcher to just scale my fish & save the guts & head. Which he found shocking but I assured him it was for my dog.

I know it's typical for most customers to discard this. Is it because of hazard issues or just cause of the look & taste? My question is, can I eat the guts/organs or is there a certain type of organ that I should avoid?
how about the skin! i think fish skin has higher level of omegas. fish head is good to ferment (i guess full of vit D) and stomach is definitely my favorite. if you can eat the flesh of the fish, than what's wrong with other organs? i'll consume them definitely!! enjoy!! ;)
bugs or country chickens

Offline nurture

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »
I get whole wild sardines and I really enjoy the organs. I can't exactly tell whats what but they sure do taste good.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 05:56:07 pm »
If you can handle the taste, eat the whole fish. People like the Inuit have been eating fish-brains etc. for millenia and have benefitted therefrom.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 07:56:32 am »
So it's a go? No prob. Maybe I'll run back & ask for any left over fish heads lol.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 10:18:49 am »
I think the main concern that resulted in the discarding of fish organs by moderners, other than distaste developed from not eating organs, is that parasites are common in wild fish livers. Of course, if you agree with Aajonus that most parasites are beneficial rather than harmful, then no problem. You'll have to weigh the potential risks yourself. My guess is that they're overblown, but I don't know for sure.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 10:56:34 am »
If the fish is small / tiny I eat the head and the organs and everything.

But if the fish is big, my taste buds don't agree with the intestines.

I do like raw tuna fish skin.

And if the fish is truly fresh the eyes and the brain just taste really good.

Really enormous fish like blue marlin has delicious back bone fluid.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:59:39 pm »
...save the guts & head. Which he found shocking but I assured him it was for my dog.

When I eat the whole fish, I don't eat the sharpest (teeth maybe fins) parts and the gall bladder.  The sharpest parts cut too much and the gall bladder tastes so bitter I know it could be harmful.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »
When the salmon were running here I noticed that pretty much nothing was eating the heads, skin or bones of the salmon.

It was great going down to the park and even though its illegal to hunt them while running i still had a feast gathering all the dead fish walking up the stream and filleting off the meat quick and putting it on my stick haha.
That's not paleo.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:21:04 am »
The gills aren't tasty. The intestines in mackerel are also bad in taste, but in sardines they're fine.
The parasites in wild fish organs are beneficial.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk