Author Topic: Blue/Green Specks In Raw Grassfed Hamburger  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Blue/Green Specks In Raw Grassfed Hamburger
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:41:52 am »
Hey guys,

I have found small blue/green pieces of something in just about all my grassfed hamburger.  I pick them out when I see them, but I am sure I've eaten a lot.  Does anyone know what they are?
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Blue/Green Specks In Raw Grassfed Hamburger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:35 am »
no idea but im sure its not supposed to be there.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:14:00 pm »
Without a photo it's tough to guess.  Maybe the meat was contaminated by stomach contents during butchering and you're seeing flecks of grass?

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:12 am »
When beef carcuses are graded by government inspectors they run a stamper over the beef cuts using a blue/green dye.

It is a vegetable dye, you can see it on the edge of some retail cuts. When I purchased meat for my restaurant it was how I could verify if the meat was USDA Choice.

If this is grass fed beef it probably does not have a fed inspection stamp. So the specs are something else or the butcher is cheating. It costs more to produce a grass finished beef.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:37:45 am by TylerDurden »
Naturally, Don

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:18 am »
Thanks guys,

I think it was the stamp thing.  I will still pick out the specks I can see, but otherwise will not worry about the specks.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk