Author Topic: High meat from frozen beef vs fresh?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Grey-Cup

• Trapper
    • View Profile
High meat from frozen beef vs fresh?
« on: November 16, 2018, 04:16:58 am »
I know the preference is to make high meat from fresh, but I have only frozen heart at present. I have never seen convincing evidence there is any material difference other than negligible/minor cell membrane disruption. Any This will be my first high meat attempt. Any concerns?

Offline thehadezb

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: High meat from frozen beef vs fresh?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 05:01:26 am »
If you have a meat only refrigerator where you age or ferment your meat frequently it would probably be inoculated with starting bacteria or fungi and your frozen meat will ferment normally as fresh meat.
When I've tried dry age frozen meat, it won't happen. When I've tried to ferment frozen liver the taste was not the same as fresh, it lost his flavor and was more acidic.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:33:43 am »
I did high meat with different types of frozen meats and there was never an issue. I´m sure fresh would be better but sometimes u gotta work with what u have.

Offline Grey-Cup

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:07:41 am »
Thanks both of you for your feedback! Will report back in a few weeks.

Offline Fit and Ketoned

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:09:22 pm »
I’m a little confused on what exactly fresh is. Are we talking fresh as in right from the animal the day of or what? I’m currently making high liver and I keep reading I need fresh liver. I bought organic GF beef liver from a farm store. It looks like is was flashed frozen. Will this work?

Offline PaganGoy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:47 am »
frozen food is all trash fresh is never frozen

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:25:38 am »
I’m a little confused on what exactly fresh is. Are we talking fresh as in right from the animal the day of or what? I’m currently making high liver and I keep reading I need fresh liver. I bought organic GF beef liver from a farm store. It looks like is was flashed frozen. Will this work?
Well, all I can state is that my own 2 or 3 attempts to make high-meat from prefrozen meats failed to generate the desired effect. Raw, fresh meat is usually hung in chilled rooms(2 to 4 degrees Celsius) for some weeks prior to being sold(3 to 4 weeks for raw grassfed meats, as I recall).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk