Author Topic: New to Raw Paleo  (Read 3230 times)

Offline QueenC

• Forager
    • View Profile
New to Raw Paleo
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:09:23 am »
Hi I'm 26 and have been lurking here for a while, trying to figure out how to go about this diet.  I started CrossFit two years ago, and started on the Paleo diet with everyone at my gym, hoping for more energy. I eventually tried the raw foods diet after listening to some guru go on about the evils of meat.  Have since switched back to Paleo when it made me feel even worse, and have recently found this forum on raw paleo.
I have started incorporating raw meat and eggs into my diet.  A few raw eggs in the morning, raw grass fed beef at lunch and some raw salmon and tuna at dinner.
Had to grill up some onions to put on the raw beef to get it down the first time, but now I really like it.
The problem is the strong negative reactions from my family ( I just moved back in with my mother and younger sister). They go on and on about bacteria and diseases.   And also I do not have a very strong will power and am afraid all their crap food around the house will temp me too much and I won't be able to commit to this.
Also I don't know much about meat cuts and fat.  I've tried googling grass fed beef but nothing local comes up.  I wouldn't really know what to ask for if I did find someone.  It's getting WAY too expensive to buy it piece by piece at the local grocery store.   
Also I hate vegetables raw, only like them cooked.  How do I go about changing that?  Any special recipes or additions I can add to make those more palatable?

I've noticed I already have more energy. Most days  I just want to go to bed after work, but I have been full of energy lately and can't wait to hit up the gym again now, and I want this to continue.  But I'm a little afraid it's going to get difficult to maintain.
I ate regular store bought meat on Paleo and that was fine, but I don't want to eat that stuff raw.  Tips on finding a local grass fed buyer and what to ask for?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:35:52 am by TylerDurden »

CitrusHigh

Re: New to Raw Paleo
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:34 am »
Welcome!

You took a HUGE first step in even acknowledging that the mainstream opinion might be bullshit, so pat yourself on the back and thanks for joining us!

Keep reading, the more you study this diet and the why's and how's the more it will make logical sense and the more encouraged you will become. As for the temptations from the processed foods, that will always be there, but it helps once you're convinced of the health benefits off this way of eating to keep those cravings to a minimum. Just do your best to minimize consumption of garbage, and when you are craving it, eat the closest thing you can find to it that is raw. If you're craving sugar, make that sugar raw honey. If you're craving salt, make it some lightly sea salted meat. If you have to sear it a bit, do it, this is not an all-at-once process, it is a continuum.

For finding less pricey stuff check out eat-wild, also contact your local weston A price leader, shop farmer's markets, craigslist, visit farms directly, ask your co-ops for 100% grass fed ORGANS, muscle meat is spendy and generally less nutritious, learn to like organ meats, especially liver, heart is a good one to start on though.

Welcome, welcome, glad to have you 'with' us!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:55:20 am »
    Hi QueenC, welcome!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:42 am »
Yes, raw organ-meats are much cheaper than raw muscle-meats. Minced/ground meats are the cheapest muscle-meats, followed by "stewing-steak". The more expensive cuts have no additional health benefit so are a waste of money to buy.

Go for eatwild.com and any other US organic food/grassfed meat directory. Or search nearby States for grassfed meat farms. Lex Rooker buys pet-food-grade raw grassfed meat from slanker's as he feels there is no disadvantage re quality and finds the cost much cheaper.

For the desperately poor, here is one alternative:-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier/

Some States seem to have good farmers' markets, others not. Search online in your area to see what's available.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:54:15 am »
Most of us don't bother with vegetables. Too many of them have high antinutrient levels. I only eat those I like:- raw carrots, raw radishes, and raw seaweed, I hardly ever touch anything else(avocadoes, tomatoes and cucumbers count as fruit, as I recall?).

As regards fitting in, it's not the end of the world, for now, if you sear your meats for 10 seconds on each side. That should placate your relatives, while still leaving the bulk of the meat entirely raw.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:58:31 am »
Welcome to the Raw Paleo Planet!

From my own experience, I strongly recommend you to never eat RAW grain-fed meat. Grass-fed meat might be more expensive, but it's worth the price.

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk