Author Topic: Regular Mainstays?  (Read 7185 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Regular Mainstays?
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:45:03 am »
Ok guys.  Eggs are iffy for me at the moment.  Pretty sure i was eating maybe 4-5 a day for about a month developed an intolerance or whatever.  Anyways, trying to find more basics to round out the diet.  These are just proteins I'm looking for.  Currently:

-salmon sashimi (delicious)
-raw eggs maybe twice a week
-beef liver here and there
-crock-pot chicken/turkey
-avocados sit very good with me
-raw nuts are ok every once in awhile

Honestly, my body seems to be in cleansing mode and getting by with not too much animal foods but it still wants some.  I guess maybe getting some other types of seafood and red meat.  Steak is sounding pretty good.  I haven't experimented much with the red meat except for liver and some bone marrow here and there.  Do you usually eat bone marrow by itself or with a muscle meat?  What cuts of red meat are good mainstays?

-Joe

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Regular Mainstays?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:27 am »
My mainstay RAF right now are lamb chops since they are nice and fatty and have marrow. Its cool how the raw fat left on the roof of my mouth tastes nice, unlike eating cooked fatty foods where the greasy after taste sucks!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:48:54 am »
when you are good and ready the crock pot goes away...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »
I always eat marrow separately.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »
I've been putting marrow in my raw soups (Brian won't eat it separately and I've started to not like it that way either lately). It adds a nice richness and that way I can get some into the hubbie who I think would benefit from it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:21 pm »
I am curious as to whether raw eggs of the highest quality(ie mainly fed on raw worms/carrion etc./) are the least likely to cause allergenic reactions(perhaps even none at all?). The reason I ask this is because a few RPDers have an excessive allergy towards grains so that they react to any grainfed meat/grainfed egg.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:05:15 pm »
I bet that could be true Tyler.
Btw - chickens don't like earthworms that much and won't eat them at all from a composter. I learned after noticing that there is some microbe that earthworms can have that is bad for chickens. But if a chicken is starving they will eat them. There are many caterpillars that my chickens won't go near either.

You made me wonder about feeding my chickens gluten containing grains. I could easily take those out of their diet. Maybe I'll try that! I was surprised that one of their least favorite seeds was kamut.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:50 pm »
I have heard that too about the eggs with grains.  I know these local farmers.  They use free-range pasture fed primarily with non-gmo grains as a supplementation when needed. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:22 am »
I have heard that too about the eggs with grains.  I know these local farmers.  They use free-range pasture fed primarily with non-gmo grains as a supplementation when needed. 

I have found that soaking/sprouting the grains makes all the difference.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 01:23:28 am »
@ Dorothy,

I would have thought that for a chicken not to eat an earth worm the chicken would have to be somewhat over-fed?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:42 am »
@ Dorothy,

I would have thought that for a chicken not to eat an earth worm the chicken would have to be somewhat over-fed?

Nope - earthworms can be very bad for them and if they have other food choices they will not eat it because it would be like you eating salmon that you know had a parasite but you do it any way because you are starving. Chickens seem to know the difference when certain earthworms are ok and others aren't. They however would never turn down a scorpion or a black soldier fly maggot or some raw beef - never in a million years!

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 04:53:22 am »
Nope - earthworms can be very bad for them and if they have other food choices they will not eat it because it would be like you eating salmon that you know had a parasite but you do it any way because you are starving. Chickens seem to know the difference when certain earthworms are ok and others aren't. They however would never turn down a scorpion or a black soldier fly maggot or some raw beef - never in a million years!

Interesting.

I've eaten plenty of salmon with parasites though, but I get what you mean.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:29 am »
Maybe the other insects & meat just taste better since they are not full of dirt?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:47 am »
Maybe the other insects & meat just taste better since they are not full of dirt?

Ha ha ha - no - maggots tend to be covered or crawling in things worse. ;)

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 08:37:46 am »
I can't eat too many eggs. I love them, and I have a good source of some seriously bad-ass eggs (family raises them in WI), but honestly I can't eat them for more than about 5 days in a row. I get totally sick of them. I can go back to them after a few days with no harm done.

When I want to eat, my first thought is beef, any cut. It's hard to get organs atm so I'm all over the map otherwise.
insert signature here

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:59 am »
Dorothy, any idea what the microbe is called that causes your chickens to avoid earth worms?

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:31 pm »
Thanks GC, Yea i can get a very wide variety of high quality beef cuts/organs from my local farmer here.  I'll give that a shot.  I've been craving steak lately seems like.  Something in the red meat that the salmon just doesn't have haha.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:35 pm »
GC, take your butt over to Linden hills co-op or up to seward or the wedge. Surliously, there is nothing tough about organs, hardly anyone else wants them so if you shop around a bit you'll get them for low low prices. They have 100% grass fed, but still make sure you ask detailed questions. If you have any questions or want help, let me know. I know for sure you'll get some good organs from the wedge and linden, not so sure about seward, but I think seward is one of the best co-ops around in terms of dedication to what real foods are all about.

And it would be to your utmost benefit to cease thinking about how hard it all is and start thinking how easy it is. One is wrong thought, one is right thought, right thought is so much more useful! Promise!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:34:10 pm by Thoth »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 02:17:52 am »
Dorothy, any idea what the microbe is called that causes your chickens to avoid earth worms?

High - more technically it's a parasite. The gape worm is one of them that I know of that earthworms can carry. The worms would have to be infected by eating the feces of birds - either flying over head or one or more of the chickens in the foraging area. The birds could get re-infected each time they eat a worm with the parasite.

Chickens are very good at just sensing what kind of bugs are good or not. It's wild to watch. I will offer them one kind of caterpillar and they just go up to it and look at it, some will just touch it with their beaks and some just stare and then walk away - and immediately I will offer them another kind of caterpillar that they will dive bomb onto, catch and run with to make sure the other chickens don't get it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk