Author Topic: good sources of carbs..  (Read 19145 times)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
good sources of carbs..
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:48:13 am »
i know we are supposed to eat low carb.. but im body building and im trying to get like 200-300 calories/day from carbs to help me gain weight.. are fruits like banana a goood source? or should i use raw honey..

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: good sources of carbs..
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:46:07 am »
I do bodybuilding, too, on high fat and the rest protein. My carbs come from eggs. What you wrote is complete broscience about 200-300 grams of carbs. That is your path to diabetes and other problems. I would not go higher than 50 grams a day of carbs, and that is being generous.

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:27 am »
Surely you know enough to not expect a conclusive or unanimous answer to this one. Considering this is the Canrivore section, the answer is likely to lean in that direction. If you do it, especially in those amounts, you will be pretty far off from the principals of this way of eating.

If you handle them well and it helps you visualize your goals as attainable, especially if they are only for the short-term, go for it. You could probably do fine with out them too, though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:16:14 am by tdister »

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:15:43 am »
I do bodybuilding, too, on high fat and the rest protein. My carbs come from eggs. What you wrote is complete broscience about 200-300 grams of carbs. That is your path to diabetes and other problems. I would not go higher than 50 grams a day of carbs, and that is being generous.

you look tiny.. im trying to pack on 20lbs of muscle..

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:40:49 am »
you look tiny.. im trying to pack on 20lbs of muscle..

You've made her day!

are you male of female? do you eat raw paleo?
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Pretty much any fruit would be fine. Bananas are usually first choice because many people love the taste, they're cheap and convenient.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:26 pm »
I'm not recommending this,but the way they "bulk up" livestock(and Sumo wrestlers as well)is with grains.I doubt bananas would put 20 pounds on you(or a Sumo wrestler).I know that it would be mostly fat weight but that's how it goes.Anyway,good luck.

The healthy way to do it would be to increase your fat intake,but that's a long process that you may not have the patience for. 8)
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »
I was having some fruit across the last ~month. First day was sort of alright, gradually got worse each day, I got weaker and weaker, my body felt like it could be ripped apart, like it was held together my less and less each day and then yesterday I had like diabetic fever, my brain was sloshing, headache, I knocked in to some things and cut myself, was up like 2908425 times at night, felt sick.. Then again, whilst the weakness thing is still from that, the sickness was the day after eating that sardine, so I don't know if that could have caused the sickness part. But maybe I only got sick because I was so weak from the fruit..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 03:27:39 pm »
im eating a lot of fat now.. im eating at least 2000 calories/day from marrow/nuts

rest from protein..

somehow this diet has a way of making you drop massive amounts of weight..

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »
I can't eat lots of fat, it makes me sick/throw up/diarrhoea, low energy. Can't eat fruit, it makes me weak/ill.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 05:31:05 pm »
im eating a lot of fat now.. im eating at least 2000 calories/day from marrow/nuts

rest from protein..

How many meals are you eating per day? Normally the less meals a day the better for gaining weight. 200-300 calories isn't that much, if you don't have problems with it I wouldn't worry about that many calories from carbs. You might want to try cycling it, like 2 or 3 days with very low to zero carb, 1 or 2 days with the 200-300 calories of carbs. You get more bang for your calorie that way, and also overall are taking in less carbs. Good luck.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »
In my experience one becomes leaner on this diet while still keeping most or all of the functional strength they had prior to beginning. Carbohydrates make the body retain water in the muscles which bulks them up visibly larger. If all you want is quick bulking then carbs will do that. You can build plenty of muscle just fine on a carnivorous diet it's just not going to be as showy.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 08:07:42 pm »
In my experience one becomes leaner on this diet while still keeping most or all of the functional strength they had prior to beginning. Carbohydrates make the body retain water in the muscles which bulks them up visibly larger. If all you want is quick bulking then carbs will do that. You can build plenty of muscle just fine on a carnivorous diet it's just not going to be as showy.
Thats what happened and is still happening to me. I also agree that you will have more mass if you eat some carbs. But thats from a purely omnivorous stand point.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »
well i want the bulky muscles..

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:56:00 am »
I can't eat lots of fat, it makes me sick/throw up/diarrhoea, low energy. Can't eat fruit, it makes me weak/ill.

miles, what do you eat then?.. I guess you eat some fat, just not too much?  and zc?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 04:25:51 am »
Just meat without extra fat, just what's on it, grain-finished.

As I posted on the previous page though... for around the last month I'd been having some fruit/veg and was getting weaker every day, now I have had a bad fever for a few days... No more plants for me..

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 04:35:04 am »
Miles,you can't get grass-finished? or you prefer grain-finished because it's not so lean?

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:08 am »
i notice a difference when i eat grain fed vs grassfed.. try to get grassfed amigo

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 04:43:40 am »
I can't get grass-finished.. Or wild game =/

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 05:09:55 am »
miles, where in the UK are you?  You're welcome to PM me and, if you're lucky, I will reveal my highly-prized, top-secret sources of grass-finished meats and wild game!  :)
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:07 am »
mrz,I guess it's a trade off.If you want to be big,you may sacrifice some health.If you want to be healthy,you may sacrifice some bulk.
If you can get both,then write a book...cause you could make some cash 8)

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 08:20:50 am »
ya its a problem.. i personally dont think fruits like bananas are even healthy.. fructose isnt good stuff.. not like any sugar is

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:36 am »
Yes, I am tiny, but I'm very strong. My strength comes from lifting on a ZC way of eating and not bonking and feeling fatigue with carbs, let alone water weight and uneven insulin surges. I am fine sitting at 13-15% bodyfat eating more than I even want to. Good luck feeling so satisfied and looking so lean on 200-300 grams of carbs.

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
Good luck feeling so satisfied and looking so lean on 200-300 grams of carbs.

I thought mrz was talking about 200-300 calories/day from carbs.

i know we are supposed to eat low carb.. but im body building and im trying to get like 200-300 calories/day from carbs to help me gain weight.. are fruits like banana a goood source? or should i use raw honey..

Offline mrz

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:35:16 am »
yup, and im still looking for answers.. i body build and a little carb a day makes a huge difference..

the debate is whether i should eat like 3 bananas a day.. or a baked sweet potato..

either way, apart from banana/potato, ALL my calories are from raw fats/meat/eggs

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk