Author Topic: The human brain and dietary fats  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
The human brain and dietary fats
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »
Here is a nice lecture about human brains and dietary fats from Nora Gedgaudas:

"Primal mind: nutrition & mental health" by Nora Gedgaudas

Löwenherz

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The human brain and dietary fats
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:17:05 am »
Thanks for sharing this video. It is outstanding. I'm going to kidnap my daughter and her husband, duct tape them to a chair, and make them watch it. They know all this stuff, but this video makes it clear how important and urgent it is to eat in the way we know is right.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:07:43 am »
Does anyone have a link to Cordain's lecture at this Ancestral Health Symposium? Nora mentioned that he recanted his past somewhat negative portrayal of saturated-fats, which she said she found rather heartening and would be interesting to see. I didn't find it at the Vimeo or symposium websites.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:16:30 am »
Does anyone have a link to Cordain's lecture at this Ancestral Health Symposium? Nora mentioned that he recanted his past somewhat negative portrayal of saturated-fats, which she said she found rather heartening and would be interesting to see. I didn't find it at the Vimeo or symposium websites.

Oh yes, that would be interesting. If I remember correctly, Cordain warned again saturated fats in his first book.

I'm still not 100% convinced that animal fats from DOMESTICATED animals are 110% healthy. But I have no doubt that coconut fat and wild boar fat are everything else than unhealthy.

Incomprehensibly most well eduacted health advocates still don't differentiate between so called 'saturated fats'. Nobody can convince me that long-term consumption of butter (or even worse: ghee) is healthy, for example.

Löwenherz

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:40:29 am »
For those of you who do not have time to watch it all here are my notes (sorry for typos)

Your body is your unconsciouss mind

Surges of blood pressure are cause of million of diseases

Addressing it is crucial for our health

Brain systems are damaged (even irreversibly) on vegan diets

Gluten sensivity and coeliac are huge issues

Coeliac It is not diagnosable until it fully “crashes”

Anxiety issues are more popular than everything else combined

Fats and cholerestol are essential for nervous system and brain

Low fat diets should never be promoted in this population

She gives examples how all primitive cultures eat lots of fat

Consuming variety of fats is important for optimal health

Ketones (definition: the by-product of using body fat for energy instead of glucose from the foods eaten.) are crucial source of energy for brain and other systems

People say you are dependent on glucose, she strongly disagrees

She got interested in neurofeedback  because she was depressed for many years and it liberated her

If you chronical eat carbohadrates to temporary elevate your mood you are depleting your brain of serotonine

70% of children with untreated gluten sensivity or celiac shows same brian patterns like ADD/ADHD

She cities studies where 100% of ADHD patients improved on gluten free diet. (“100%!? can you imagine if drug could do that?“)

Our ancestors did not necessary ate what is most healthy for them, they just looked for survival

It is especially important in this difficult times (ironed water, mineral deficient soils..) to eat healthy, she says that people ate healthy in paleo times and we eating this way will be way ahead of others, but this diet could also evolve and be optimized to current circumstances (she talks more about it in her book). Paleo is not the end point.

Restirction of carbs and proteins. We need proteins to be efficient (sufficient) but we do not need to eat slabs and slabs and slabs of meat. Our ancestors did not do it either. We do it because we have abundance of food now.

Point is not to eat high fat diet but “high percentage diet”. It does not take much fat to satisfy your diet but it is important to get enough!

Study that lasted 20 years. 2 groups monkeys. One was allowed to eat as much as they wanted. The other was fed with  sufficiently dense  nutrition diet (Caloric restircion of proteins and carbs) (30% fewer calories of  what they could consume). After 20 years 37% from first group died on diseases (heart disease, cancer, diabetes/…). The other group only 13% died. They got better result In all health markers that were measured, including brain health.  They maintained greater brain volume which normaly shrinks with age.They had superior cognitive function.

Slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/ancestralhealth/ahs-slidesnora-gedgaudas

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:11:42 am »
Great video - Thanks!

This is worth the time to watch - the notes (although well-meaning and kind for those who think they do not have time) do not do it justice and I remember different things as most important that are not in the above notes. This lecture gave me so much to think about!

I sent this video out to people I care about. Like Eve - I'll tie them to their chairs if necessary.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk