Author Topic: Are Rancid Raw Fats Bad For You?  (Read 13692 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Are Rancid Raw Fats Bad For You?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
Yea, theyre completely different processes

I'm not sure if rancid raw fats are even bad for you ... ie, sour cream, cheeses, cottage cheese etc

Cottage cheese isn't raw.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 06:05:49 am »
Consumed a brisket over a month now, been in the fridge, nearly complete fat cuts, no rancidity, tastes almost as fresh the day i bought it ...

alphagruis

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 08:52:42 pm »
I'm very sceptical of claims that oxidation of raw foods is exactly the same process as oxidation induced by cooking.

Who did claim anything like that in this thread ? And where?

Cooking accelerates tremendously the exactly same processes that occur at room temperature and also causes other damages to the fatty acids for instance cis to trans isomerization. A main point in room temperature aging is the simultaneous activity of bacteria and fungi. These microorganisms are most likely capable to feed on oxidised fats and so prevent their rapid build-up/

Another main point is that interaction of fat with oxygen at room temperature is necessarily a surface process so rancidity develops at the surface of foods rich in PUFAs. When stored in bulk form in the form of big lumps of blubber or in rendered form as done by the inuits there is only a tiny surface layer that gets rancid with little consequences since the ratio of rancid/non rancid fats remains negligible. Same for a big lump of cheese or fatty meat. Yet in more divided form of fatty meat or fish with increased surface to volume ratio left to age  several weeks at air the rancidity of the fats becomes quite obvious as with the example of gutted sardines or anchovies.

Everybody can do the experiment.

Note also that beef fat contains very little PUFAs and shows little rancidity after a few weeks in fridge. In contrast to boar or horse fat for instance .    

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:07:18 pm by alphagruis »

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 01:13:34 am »
There is a big difference between i guess what i would call 'dry' aging, and 'wet' aging.. Dry aging is what I do where I just hang lumps of meat up, the outside drys out and gets a small white mould thing growing on the surface.  Wet aging seems to be different and a method I dont use since its harder to do. I would call wet aging when you put meat chunks in a jar in the fridge and air it out so the moisture is staying  in the jar with the meat so its a more moist enviroment. Wet aging is more.. sloppy? to me, where my dry aging i just peel off the outside layer and inside is delicious tender meat full of flavor.  I find wet stuff is more mouldy and less appetising to me where the dry aged stuff i find pretty awesome, i eat it like a banana with the dry part being the skin that i toss my dog later on haha.

William, If you cannot eat raw fat then you have a problem, are you addressing this or are you going to eat your pemmican band-aid forever?  Pemmican is for noobs who cant handle the raw meat and fat, its makes it more palatable, are you sure you're not hiding behind this?

It doesnt make sense to me that part of the animal (especially the most important part) is 'bad' for you.  To take out the 'bad' part of fat you need to process it over fire and filter it??  does not compute - not paleo - not natural.  I dont think anyone would care that you eat pemmican except that you;re plugging the shit out of it.
That's not paleo.

William

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:22 am »

William, If you cannot eat raw fat then you have a problem, are you addressing this or are you going to eat your pemmican band-aid forever?  Pemmican is for noobs who cant handle the raw meat and fat, its makes it more palatable, are you sure you're not hiding behind this?

Yes, I have a problem, and I have lots of company, that 's why I eat pemmican.

It doesnt make sense to me that part of the animal (especially the most important part) is 'bad' for you.  To take out the 'bad' part of fat you need to process it over fire and filter it??  does not compute - not paleo - not natural.  I dont think anyone would care that you eat pemmican except that you're plugging the shit out of it.

The only fat we get is not paleo, unless you killed the animal yourself and butchered it as paleoman did. I repeat that we don't know what butchers/abattoirs do to it.

It is the only healing way that I have found, and I will defend it. This is self-defense.
If I think that others can benefit from it then I will tell them about it - this is not plugging, it is kindness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk