Author Topic: Canadian Pemmican  (Read 8197 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Canadian Pemmican
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:21:53 am »
I found this that might be of interest to Canadian pemmican eaters:

"For the Canadian pemmican lovers, there is a website I found recently that sells pemmican based out of Toronto Ontario ( he said they'll be moving to St. Catharines in a few months). It's called Canawa. I can post a link if anybody wants, but a google search for the name works.

I e-mailed the company asking for more details. Ken explained that it is made very dry, with no preservatives, so there shouldn't be problems with mold. He does not use suet though. It is muscle fat, so it is quite soft at room temperature. The meat may be dried at too high a temperature, as he stated it surpassed gov't standards to ensure safety.

The website also claims to make their product from grass fed beef. I haven't ordered any because I make my own, but for those that don't have the time, it looks like the real thing, and it's a reasonable price. $20 for 350gr. ( about 12 oz. ) I don't have any affiliation with this company, and I don't know anyone who has ordered through them. He can only ship within Canada at this point."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Pemmican
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:31:55 am »
How is $20 for 12 ounces a reasonable price?  That's over $26 per pound. 

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:48:04 am »
How is $20 for 12 ounces a reasonable price?  That's over $26 per pound. 

Your not paying for water. Lean meat is about 75% water and I think fat is about 15%
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:20:13 am »
How is $20 for 12 ounces a reasonable price?  That's over $26 per pound.  
Yeah, I'd like to know what he's comparing it to, but I haven't heard of other sources of pemmican in Canada, so he's probably screwed. :(

I make my own, so I just worry about the price of lean steak and suet, and it's too much work for me too make it more than occasionally anyway.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:24:34 am »
What is the comparative percentage of meat vs. fat in pemmican?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:26:52 am »
Traditionally 50/50 by weight.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

William

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:18 am »
If you look at nutritional density, pemmican is about 3 times more dense than fresh fat meat, so the price is not bad and maybe even do-able for those who actually need it.
Especially since they get grass-finished fat, which I cannot.

But the stuff I make is raw, and I don't know about theirs.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:36 am »
$27 a pound seems like a pretty good deal when you consider the time spent making it.  I would easily pay that amount if I could get some good quality pemmican. I was even thinking of soliciting some of the members here for some pemmican. It just seems like a huge headache to make. Perhaps if I had a grinder I could do it but the time saving is huge.

Also, 1 pound of pemmican has about 3000 calories so more than enough for an average day.

William

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:27:08 am »
I wrote Canawa, asking about the meat processing temperature, and here is the reply:

"Yes the beef has been above 104F. In fact it has been above the temperature required by the the legal regulators."

So it is not raw. Pity.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:32:59 am »
Perhaps it's not legal to sell raw jerky so he has no choice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk