Author Topic: Oysters Have Greatly Declined from their Peak Years  (Read 12665 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Oysters Have Greatly Declined from their Peak Years
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 11:40:55 am »
Here in VT I was getting grassfed suet for 99 cents a pound, but the price varies and right now it's back up to $1.99/lb. With all the promoting of dairy that's been going on here and at other forums and blogs I decided to buy the best quality dairy fat that's available at my local healthfood market and see if I can handle it. If grassfed suet should ever disappear or get too expensive it would be good to have other options. The best available dairy fat was unsalted cultured butter made from pasteurized cream and culture. It was priced at $7.98/lb. -- about 4 times the current price of the grassfed suet. I assume raw would be even more expensive. There was also some pastured ghee at $17/lb., but that's too ridiculously high to even try.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 11:49:31 am »
Here in VT I was getting grassfed suet for 99 cents a pound, but the price varies and right now it's back up to $1.99/lb. With all the promoting of dairy that's been going on here and at other forums and blogs I decided to buy the best quality dairy fat that's available at my local healthfood market and see if I can handle it. If grassfed suet should ever disappear or get too expensive it would be good to have other options. The best available dairy fat was unsalted cultured butter made from pasteurized cream and culture. It was priced at $7.98/lb. -- about 4 times the current price of the grassfed suet. I assume raw would be even more expensive. There was also some pastured ghee at $17/lb., but that's too ridiculously high to even try.

lol ghee for $17, we get a whole liter for about £5, if not cheaper

Look in an indian or asian store, ghee should be even cheaper in the u.s, as its cheap to make

ghee is most definitely not worth trying, the only thing going for it is the high temperature, its filled with chemicals & the fat soaks up the plastic & tin its stored in like crazy, its also heated to kingdom come

It does make a mean curry tho ...

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:40 pm »
If you really want ghee, make it at home, its ridiculously easy to make

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »
ghee ..., the only thing going for it is the high temperature, its filled with chemicals & the fat soaks up the plastic & tin its stored in like crazy, its also heated to kingdom come

It does make a mean curry tho ...

What are you talking about?  I never bought ghee, but I've seen it in stores many times and other places.  I have only seen it there in glass jars.  I've made it too.  I didn't store it in tin nor plastic either.  

Many people use ghee much in the way lard used to be used before the petro revolution, in ointments and balms to deliver herbal mixtures.

Ghee in my experience works better than vegetable oils, but raw grass grazed and other raw animal fats work in a superior manner, IMO.  It depends on what you're looking for.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 10:52:09 pm »
Over here it comes in all containers

Not touching the stuff lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk