Author Topic: Healing damaged ACL  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
Healing damaged ACL
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:13:06 am »
     I had injured my knee just before Xmas. I finally broke down and went to an orthopedic Dr. he did ant drawer test and said he believes my ACL is completely torn, I'm having an MRI Thursday to see exactly what damage there is. He said even if it is a partial tear. It won't heal. I'm fighting depression. I love to run through the woods and jump and climb up stuff. I've been walking slowly it's pretty, but not the same. I'm sure my BS will be better if I get more aerobic exercise. I have a stationary bike. I think I'll get on that tonight, real light resistance. I do exercises from PT 2x/day, but not the same. I want to eat carbs, b/c I'm having trouble with depression, I haven't but it's tough. I started eating btwn noon and 5pm. I think I will try it the rest of the week, but it is tough not to eat a ton during that time. I know a RAF person who healed an autoimmune knee problem with a long fast, but I can't do a long fast with diabetes. I think I can adapt to  eating in a 5hr window. Has anybody else healed an injured or torn ACL, by any natural means? I really don't want surgery, but I can't not run. As soon as my body can take it I'll be on that tread mill. I break into tears just to think about not running in the woods.  Jumping is a big part of the fun. I don't think I will do well in my head for long if I don't get to play hard in the woods again soon.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Healing damaged ACL
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:57 am »
Hi Adora
First things first, rest, allow the swelling to go down before doing anything too strenuous, otherwise in its inflamed state there is a good chance the knee could be further comprimised slowing down recovery times still further.
26 years ago, I completely ruptured my right ACL.
At the time in this region reconstructive knee surgery was in its infancy and the outcomes were nowhere near what they are today.
I opted for no surgery to ACL, though I did get some cartilage tidying up via arthroscopic surgery.
I ceased playing sports that include sudden stopping and starting, twisting and turning.
In time I was able to work out in the gym to increase strength in hamstring/glute areas which helps to provide compensatory strength in ACL injuries.
Later, I returned to sports like surfing (and some jogging) and providing I took things carefully the knee would not give way.
Fast forward til last year and I started to get much increased pain in the knee. According to scans, there was some bone on bone wear, responsible for the increased pain.
The longterm prognosis for this injury in my case was poor and apparently a knee replacement would be the only solution, yet I am too young for this as they generally have a life of around 15 years.
I have got some good results by ditching shoes (or shoes with any sole or heel padding) and going barefoot or equivalent footwear to minimise increased torque and leverage on the joint that much footwear can initiate.  Ones gait does change and one tends to walk in a 'gentler' way. Perhaps some minor re-alignments may take place also.
Keeping slim (less weight for the knees to carry) is also of benefit, though if you are eating a fair amount of food raw, this probably isn't a problem.
Stretching and light strengthening work are also of benefit.
As to advice, if you are able to get the ACL surgically repaired, I would tend to go that way.
However, if you dont, it is not the end of all exercise and activity.
It can also have its positives as a greater awareness of how one moves develops.
PS. I am a great lover of the woods too, though not jumping! and when swelling goes down you can go and sit and healing will benefit.
Dont get too down on the situation, talk and express what you are feeling with those you feel comfortable doing so.
And there is the seed of opportunity in all experience, no matter how grave we may see it at the time.
Kind wishes, J

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Hi Wattlebird
     That really helps. It made me feel more like I have time to think on it. I also love to be barefoot. I was wearing minimalist sneakers at the time. I am very afraid of hurting myself again, with or without surgical repair. I am learning all I can to improve my technique. It means a lot to me to trust in the universe/self that there is a seed of opportunity. I can't be reminded of it enough. I could loose 25lbs. I would be very slim, but I was that weight in my 20's and I enjoyed the way moving felt. I rode my tread mill tonight while I read an article on freeing self from cages, that I found on this site. It really helped build my muscles and my lungs and heart feel better. So, adjusting to what's possible now is a good strategy.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:03 am »
Adora,
yes, new possibilities abound.
with 'ends' come 'new' life.
The two are inseparable.
If I can be of any benefit in your recovery, let me know.
Kind wishes, J

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:40 pm »
I've never heard of ACLs reattaching or repairing on their own, unfortunately.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk