Author Topic: Not used to raw animal products?  (Read 5576 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Not used to raw animal products?
« on: June 09, 2012, 02:45:42 am »
Hey guys,

I have noticed that my system seems somewhat confused with the raw animal products.  Today i have had some bone marrow, lightly cooked "liver/heart/tongue/ground beef" mixture, and some raw liver blended with some veggies.  Oh, and a good amount of raw sauerkraut.  Anyways, I end up craving things like Avocados, tortilla chips, carbs, nut butters, etc.  High calorie comfort foods.  So basically i have 2 theories here.

1. My system is taking awhile to get used to the raw animal foods and likes having some mush in there with it so not by itself

2.  Some bug die-off or cravings caused by eating these foods and not getting slowed down so much during transit.

Anybody else have experience with this?  Seems like I had to stop myself from mowing through a bag of chips or whatever.  I am also undergoing chiropractic treatments which are causing healing reactions so I think whatever bugs i may have in my system are unhappy anyways.  It is also possible i just need more carbs in general right now as my body tries to heal itself.

-Joe
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:12:42 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Not used to raw animal products?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:09:07 am »
When I started out, I simply committed to two weeks of strict RVAF. That seemed okay, so I made a new commitment to stick with it for a month. I ignored the daily reactions so I could get my body used to raw. After six weeks, I was pretty much used to eating raw, and I had figured out a daily routine and where to buy what I needed. By switching from raw to cooked meals and eating a lot of combinations of food, you might be shortchanging yourself by not letting yourself get used to raw animal products.

Give it time: two to six weeks would be a reasonable amount of time. After that, you can do the fine tuning as far as macronutrient ratios and taste preferences.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 03:21:08 am »
Mixing raw and cooked stuff doesn't work from my experience. Either do one or the other.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 03:38:55 am »
Yeah, I've had those exact things. Killing a whole bag of blue corn tortilla chips or something like that.

Cooked food is absolutely an addiction so there's that component. But that doesn't mean we should ignore what our body is saying. you just need to figure out if it's a genuine request or if it is simply the addiction talking. Cooked foods have all kinds of addictive compounds and it's not a joke. You may get these sorts of cravings though for as long as you consume some cooked food, I still get them sometimes, because I eat about 20% + - cooked food. But I've learned that they're probably not genuine signals and typically I avoid giving in, once in a while I'll indulge though, since I still have the level of health I want.

Better to go easy and eat whatever cooked food you need to and not psyche yourself out by feeling bad about eating it, rather than try to go 100% raw and and failing anyway because the cravings are too strong. If you can satisfy those cravings just a little bit, and then force down a bit of kidney or liver or something super nutrient dense, probably a much better strategy in the long term. Or, if you have the will power, go for it. But you seem like a pretty sharp fella, so I think you'll be just fine if you keep experimenting and learn to trust your judgement. Keep educating yourself it really helps understand what's happening and lets you be your own doctor/nutritionist, like you are doing now.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:13:47 am »
Thanks,

Yea i think it's just a process.  Personally, I don't think it is wise or healthy to do 180 degree switches with your lifestyle, even when healthy.  The body likes to adapt in it's own way.  As i get more nutrition on board in my body i am needing less animal foods in general.  It seems that by eating organ meats, and rich things like raw butter, avocado, bone marrow, eggs, etc i need less of the muscle meats and focus primarily on fruits/veggies and fats with a decent amount of protein depending on the day and activity levels.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:15 am »
Maybe... I mean MAYBE... just an idea... your body could be asking for carbs?

I personally need carbs - I just eat them raw. Perhaps your body only knows cooked carbs so is asking for them, but if you stay all raw (even the carbs) then the body might start asking you for berries instead of chips?

You also sound like you need some more fat. I know, you ate a ton... but your body asked for more by asking for avocado and fried things! Maybe also salt?

Over time the "requests" can come in raw terms rather than cooked ones.

and like Thoth said - don't sweat it too much. It can take time. Eveheart went real fast and cold turkey. That can really work for some folks. If it doesn't work for you - as long as you are going in the right direction.... you're going in the right direction!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 10:05:35 am »
Maybe... I mean MAYBE... just an idea... your body could be asking for carbs?

I personally need carbs - I just eat them raw. Perhaps your body only knows cooked carbs so is asking for them, but if you stay all raw (even the carbs) then the body might start asking you for berries instead of chips?

You also sound like you need some more fat. I know, you ate a ton... but your body asked for more by asking for avocado and fried things! Maybe also salt?

Over time the "requests" can come in raw terms rather than cooked ones.

and like Thoth said - don't sweat it too much. It can take time. Eveheart went real fast and cold turkey. That can really work for some folks. If it doesn't work for you - as long as you are going in the right direction.... you're going in the right direction!

Yeah, I agree dorothy, I left that part out when I meant to say if it is a real signal, then maybe try some raw carbs even though they won't be as comfy' a food as cooked carbs might seem to be. But you can spice things like raw sweet potato and eat slices of that, if your body tolerates it. It's better to use some spices, even salt, and stay with a raw carb, than to go for the cooked stuff....unless of course you need cooked stuff in the manner Aajonus describes, not sure I agree with that though.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
Sounds to me like you need more fat.  The only super-fatty think you mentioned eating was bone marrow, and it's hard to get enough of that at one time to really satisfy yourself, IME.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »
I think its the carbs really.  I eat plenty of bone marrow, olive oil, raw butter, eggs, coconut oil, and some fatty meats, avocados, sometimes nuts, etc.  But yea basically its my system learning to rely on fruits and juices more.  The problem is i can't stomach the fiber that would come with eating large amounts of raw vegetables so i cook them and it works fine.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »
I think its the carbs really.  I eat plenty of bone marrow, olive oil, raw butter, eggs, coconut oil, and some fatty meats, avocados, sometimes nuts, etc.  But yea basically its my system learning to rely on fruits and juices more.  The problem is i can't stomach the fiber that would come with eating large amounts of raw vegetables so i cook them and it works fine.

I think vegetables don't have much in the way of carbohydrates/sugars compared to fruit. When you say you are having a hankering for "carbs" what does that mean to you besides tortilla chips and vegetables - if anything? How does fruit sit with you?

Have you tried juicing before? If so how does that fit into the cravings scenario? Sounds like it could be an idea for you if that sounds good to you. 

The craving for avocado, nuts and fatty chips still indicates to me that no matter how much fat you are eating - your body is asking for more. I know - sounds incredible right? But you might be really starved for good essential fatty acids. You might be a candidate for some fish oils?

How does the fat seem to digest? Is your liver up to snuff? Sometimes if you're having trouble digesting/absorbing the fat the body will keep on asking for more and more and more. There are differences in kind of fats from different foods too.

Sounds like overall you're doing pretty well though. There are a whole lot of things out there a whole lot worse than steamed veggies - if that feels ok. Steamed veggies can still bring me down - but as a stepping stone not such a bad choice. Going slow enough can prevent harsh detoxes. My suggestion is to do your process however feels right to you. I would replace the tortilla chips with either the steamed veggies and/or another good source of fat. If you have to eat more avocados or get even more animal fats. The tortilla chips was the one item in your list that stood out as particularly not good and the thing that might hold you back from moving forward because those can be made from real nasty vegetable oils.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:42 am »
I'd try juicing.  Make sure you include some fiber, to help slow the absorption of the sugar, and include some celery juice, it's very good at balancing blood sugar.

Dorothy's right, those chips are pretty nasty, in terms of the oils they are fried in, and the temperatures they are fried at.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:53:04 am »
Yea its a calorie issue primarily.  Basically i had terrible atlas subluxation = no power to my organs so now that i'm starting to unload the calories need to come in

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:04:14 am »
Ooo. Atlas - glad you got that one put back in place!

Well, if you want crackers with oil and salt I would suggest making your own crunchy, salty, fatty treats in a dehydrator rather than store-bought chips.

I personally think that rancid, highly heated and especially the fake oils that they use in chips these days has to be the worst food you can eat. Just about anything is better than that - really. If eating raw you can't get enough calories in you then I would eat all the steamed veggies you want and even add brown rice if you need and pour good oil over it - but stay away from pre-made chips!

It's all a question of degree when transitioning. The thing at first is to knock out the worst offenders - and fried chips have to be right up at the top of the list next to coca cola.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:47 am »
Haha agreed =)  I think avocados or steamed sweet potatoes/brocolli with coconut oil is a new favorite also.  I agree its a transition.  It's like i can see where my body is trying to go, it just can't go all at once yet.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 09:57:12 am »
It's like i can see where my body is trying to go, it just can't go all at once yet.

Don't let anyone talk you into anything your body is not aligned with. I personally think your body is making a great choice to take it in stages. Detox is a bitch and can be totally avoided.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk