Author Topic: What to feed my new dog?  (Read 15956 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: What to feed my new dog?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 11:42:20 am »
Oh my goodness that's horrible.. Who did you get it from?

Some teenage girl selling online.  We just met up at the mall.
I'll be a better dog shopper next time.
It's a learning experience.

Like the first time I had a child.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 11:53:38 am »
Irresponsible breeders  >:
She sold you the puppy too young and it looks like its spitz mixed with some other breeds. This happens so often.

Its better to get from a well known and responsible breeder, you will pay up the ass for your dog, but there is a good reason.
You are pretty much guaranteed properly developed puppy, you will meet his parents or at least the mother, and they even check for the right character (ie, not aggressive or shy) and if anything is wrong with the dog or it has a genetic disease a good breeder will have no issue taking the dog back. Thats what you pay for. You will have the dog as part of your family so its a big purchase anyway.

Before you buy from the breeder you must go and visit them and take a look at the condition the dogs are raised in. They should be well socialized from birth, preferably the breeder has kids that also spend time with the dogs and puppies.

Its like finding a good source of RAF, you need to be a detective,  :P

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 01:10:46 pm »
He's staying there until he recovers... he has since refused to eat and drink.
He's dehydrated... he pooped liquidy stool, I count 3 liquidy stools the first afternoon I got him... he must have been sick the day I got him.
And he says the pup looks too young, not weaned enough.
The seller said the pup was born September 3, seems that's not true the vet said.

Vet said the anus has blood when he put the thermometer in...His temp is too low 36 degrees celsius only...And has poor blood circulation...Hope the dog survives.

I hope he's ok.  Sending good thoughts and prayers.  

Did you ask the girl what he had been eating up till the time you got him?  If not, could you ask her now?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:45 pm »
   I hope he's ok.  Sending good thoughts and prayers.  

Did you ask the girl what he had been eating up till the time you got him?  If not, could you ask her now?

Dog food, "beef pro".
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 01:50:34 pm »
Dog food, "beef pro".

Is that dry or canned (I'm just curious)?  Or do you know?  I've never had a dog that could tolerate dry dog-food, without major stomach upset.  I don't know why.  Cat's I know, being obligate carnivores can't eat dry too long, and carnivores are not supposed to be crunching things like that, biscuit-like.  I think some dog breeds are not supposed to eat plant based foods.  Animals with white fur may be a partial albino.  I think albinos, even partial, should be more careful about what they eat than the average Joe.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 02:04:40 pm »
I don't even know what beef pro is.

Maybe his tummy was upset by the horse meat and horse fat?

Maybe he is just too young?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:07 pm »
I don't even know what beef pro is.

This: http://www.caminadepet.com/breeders-pack-beef-pro-performance-227-kg
Thats the adult kibble there is a puppy kibble too.
Kibble is not good for dogs but rarely do puppies get that much problems from it (I mean the good quality kibbles), its as the dog grows that constantly feeding kibble will cause problems. However they do get problems when taken from mother too early.

Yes, its likely he is either too young or he could have been the runt of the litter.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 02:29:02 pm »
That's what the vet said... RUNT of the litter or too young.

Hope he survives, the kids and I will visit him in a while.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: What to feed my new dog? - DOG DIED
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:18 am »
Vet Called.
Dog Died.
Hook Worm Infestation.
Lots of Big Worms.
Lots of Eggs.
Since I only got the dog for 2 days, the VET assumes the dog was worm infested before it got to me.

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:53 am »
    What would be a paleo good-bye for a puppy? 

Maybe it's good he wasn't around so long with all those big worms and eggs.  He could have been suffering more than we know.  Wow, sorry he's gone.  It can be hard, maybe for your kids too, I found a puppy with parvo berfore.  The puppies may last only so long, no matter how good care you take.

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »
Wow he died of a worm infestation.

How do paleo eaters avoid that to happen to them, besides sourcing clean foods?

When I first got my dogs, and I fed them raw chicken backs and thighs, they had loose stools too.

Overall, as far as meat is concerned, I would only feed the dogs raw meats that I eat/could eat raw without getting sick.

I think commercial pet food is very unhealthy, and should be avoided if possible.

Veggies are good for them, like carrots and celery, and spinach. Some dogs are picky so you have to see what they like too.

Overall, various raw meats/organs + bones, veggies, some occasional fruits, maybe some root veggies/tubers(potatoes)
, also I give them some nuts sometimes

Bones: Avoid beef/lamb bones. Chicken bones are good, and Turkey necks are good, but (turkey) Backs might be too tough. Pork necks good too. The hard bones from beef/lamb/turkey backs/(pork backs???) can break their teeth. You can tell which bones are good, if you hear a "crunch" it's good, if you hear a "cluck" it's probably too hard of a bone.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:15:46 pm by bharminder »

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 04:07:13 pm »
>>>>    I guess the best meal would be a whole rabbit. With organs and all. 1-2  meals a day would be best too.

rabbits are nocturnal feeders.

dogs did not descend from nocturnal hunters (eg: cats, owls)       they descended from wolves....daytime pack hunters.

their ideal prey is a large ruminant.   A wild rabbit really doesn't have much meat on him.  And wolf-pack techniques don't work best against non-herd animals.

but they would certainly gobble down a rabbit if hungry enough.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 05:30:05 am »
>>>>    I guess the best meal would be a whole rabbit. With organs and all. 1-2  meals a day would be best too.

rabbits are nocturnal feeders.

dogs did not descend from nocturnal hunters (eg: cats, owls)       they descended from wolves....daytime pack hunters.

their ideal prey is a large ruminant.   A wild rabbit really doesn't have much meat on him.  And wolf-pack techniques don't work best against non-herd animals.

but they would certainly gobble down a rabbit if hungry enough.
Rabbits are crepuscular (forage at dusk & dawn). While dogs would not typically be hunting at this time it's more likely they would catch a rabbit at that time than a truly nocturnal animal.
FWIW I've had a number of dogs who enjoyed rousting a group of rabbits from their burrow in the middle of the day and killing one or two. Just because they choose to forage at a specific time doesn't mean another animal won't throw a proverbial monkey wrench in the mix.

I do agree that a rabbit is a poor choice for a dog as prey. They don't have enough fat on them. A small cat could make a good meal out of one or two though.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk