Author Topic: Epsom salt baths  (Read 4655 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Epsom salt baths
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:50:03 am »
Are Epsom salt baths beneficial and safe to do? Are there any negative side effects?

I've got a bag of Epsom salts from target, I am suspect of the quality. What is the highest quality of Epsom salts for baths you can get?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Epsom salt baths
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 03:57:38 am »
I prefer magnesium chloride (sold as "nigari" in Japanese markets) over magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts). I make magnesium oil and magnesium soaking water with it. The "good" stuff tells you where it's from (ancient seabed mining vs removal from seawater). I buy it from a local "gourmet" tofu factory run by a little old lady who preserves the ancient ways.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 09:58:14 am »
Do you notice a difference in how you feel with the chloride versus sulfate?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:33:15 am »
Do you notice a difference in how you feel with the chloride versus sulfate?

I actually don't "feel" anything beyond the nice warmth of the foot bath. I have read "marketing material" that claims that magnesium is better absorbed through the skin as magnesium chloride than as magnesium sulfate, but I've never quantified my own results that way.

When I buy a bag of nigari, I dissolve the whole bag in water and store the resulting "magnesium oil" (because it feels slick on the skin, like oil would) in a large glass jar. I use it as-is on my skin, and when I soak my feet, I pour an amount into warm water. I am seeking a pampering spa experience; I am not trying to supplement magnesium this way. I got the idea because they use magnesium salts in water to scrub you in a Korean bathhouse.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:02:15 pm »
If you take the magnesium while having at least slight deficiency, you will feel it. Otherwise, if no deficiency present, you won't feel a difference.
Don't think chloride vs sulfate salts would feel any different, unless you have sulfate or chloride deficiency.

I use magnesium chloride internally, in a water solution (plus other salts). About 2 tsp over 2-3 days.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:46:07 pm »
I can't say whether Mg is better absorbed with Cl or with SO4, but many people have trouble getting enough sulfur in their diet so I'd rather use MgSO4. Both Mg and S are easily absorbed through the skin, and sulfur is very good for the skin.

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:55:45 am »
So there are no negative effects that could occur from taking an Epsom salt bath?

How long should one last, from what I've read I'm thinking 40minutes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk