Author Topic: Supermarket bison (buffalo) steak from the US  (Read 2764 times)

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
Supermarket bison (buffalo) steak from the US
« on: January 05, 2015, 02:07:01 am »
My mom bought some bison steak from the supermarket (Delhaize).
The box containing the meat doesn't say if it's grain-fed or not, wild or not... Just that it comes from the US.

Do you think this meat might be GMO-fed? What are the chances?

I'd rather not throw this (expensive) meat away, but I won't eat it if it's GMO-fed.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket bison (buffalo) steak from the US
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:43:35 am »
I live an a bison-ranching area, and I have visited several bison ranches and talked to the owners. Here is what I gathered:

The good news is that bison cannot survive the stress of a feedlot, nor will they eat out of a feed trough (because they need to be able to look around while they graze), so they are all raised on grassy pastures.

However, ranchers often put supplemental food and bison "formulas" out on the pasture. The supplements are attractively flavored and packaged so that the bison will eat them. I get the impression that the supplements are more about giving the bison "nutrients" like minerals that might be depleted in the soil, and not a source of caloric food such as corn or soy. So, while there may be no recognizable GMOs in the supplements (no kernels of corn, for example), they could contain synthesized vitamins that could come from GMO-based sources.

If you wanted to be sure, you would have to ask the rancher what gets put out on the pastureland. This might not be possible to trace back to the ranch, but you can try googling the name of the ranch, if it is on the label, and ask them about supplements they put on their pasture.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket bison (buffalo) steak from the US
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:21:41 am »
Thanks for the answer, Eveheart. The box only gives the address where the product was shipped to in Belgium. It also says "origin: USA", that's all.
I might ask Delhaize all about this, but to be honest it's not like I'm going to ask for more of the stuff anyways. It's just some sort of treat my mom believed her caveman son would enjoy  :)...

She also bought some crocodile meat;D ('cause Paleo diet is all about that, right  l)?)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 04:09:10 am by JeuneKoq »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk