Author Topic: How are you able to substain this?  (Read 16591 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How are you able to substain this?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:46 am »
I'll remain 100% skeptical until I see some parallel process for fruits and vegetables in a modern hunter-gatherer population. All I see in these paleo carry-overs are meats and fish stored in paleo-ish containment.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:16 am »
Yes, and even if they might have had vessels, such as animal skins bound together at the end of the upper Paleolithic, what’s the matter? They also mastered the fire then, and thus certainly grilled food sometimes. Does it mean grilled food is totally harmless?  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:27 am »
Yes, and even if they might have had vessels, such as animal skins bound together at the end of the upper Paleolithic, what’s the matter? They also mastered the fire then, and thus certainly grilled food sometimes. Does it mean grilled food is totally harmless?  ;)
Point taken, but the whole point is that there is a whole grey area between 100% rawpalaeo  and 100% non-rawpalaeo.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:32 am »
I use canning jars in my kitchen. They are not paleo. In artifacts from the actual paleolithic era, containers have not been found.

Hmm, what do you mean they haven't been found? Stones that are shaped like a cup would be a container. Also, other containers made of other materials like wood, certain leaves or plant material that acts as a water container or can be turned into one (like gourds), and/or animal hides or bones, would not have been found because they decayed over time.

How can you "produce" wine when you have no vessel? Try it and get back to us.  >D

I don't see what's so hard about manufacturing a container where you can hold honey and water to make mead, using simple materials that you would find in a forest, jungle, savannah or tundra.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:05:17 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »
There seem to be lots of youtube videos of animals drunk on rotten fruit.

Personally I cannot tolerate alcohol, but if someone wants to include a modest amount of wine then out of all the alcoholic beverages it seems to be the healthiest, since it is using a traditional fruit - grapes - processed a traditional way - anaerobic fermentation - in a simple manner that could be done at home, with no cooking required.

For me the "Raw Paleo Diet" is too restrictive and I prefer a Raw Traditional Diet - raw foods selected for their  taste and contribution to my health from foods my ancestors ate, from farmers back to hunter / gatherers.

At the moment I have a lot of pears, and I don't find fruit to be that great for my digestion, so I have filled a barrel with raw pears and water to make raw pear cider vinegar. A simple processes, with raw cider vinegar being traditionally  considered a useful and healthy product.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 04:41:54 am »
At the moment I have a lot of pears, and I don't find fruit to be that great for my digestion, so I have filled a barrel with raw pears and water to make raw pear cider vinegar. A simple processes, with raw cider vinegar being traditionally considered a useful and healthy product.

Whole wheat bread, vegetables soups, cooked fish or meat, cheese, etc. are also traditionally considered useful and healthy, my friend!

Sure, useful they are: without any food people would die of starvation and it would probably be better for someone's health to drink vinegar rather then die of thirst! “Healthy”, I still wonder what this word could mean when applied to food…  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 10:27:29 am »
I spend a week a month clear across the country for work. I pack sealed packs of my frozen ground meat in Ziploc freezer bags then gang a couple of these together in a larger bag. This gets packed in my checked bag and makes it 1500 miles with minimal thawing.
Anecdotally I did go through the TSA checkpoint once with the frozen meat in my bag. The agent opened the bag up and looked at me for clarification. I said "It's not on the prohibited list" and shrugged. He passed me through but you could tell he was reticent to do so. The next trip I started with the checked bag.
I tried in the beginning to do jerky mixed with raw suet to make a raw pemmican. It was convenient but I felt hungry most of the trip. Between that and some constipation from the reduced water I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 10:32:29 am »
Have you tried just chunks of raw fat as your take-along food, and get a bit of raw meat (or whatever you like) at your destination?  Raw fat can be frozen or dried with less loss of nutrition.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 10:37:05 am »
I pack some with the meat.
Work takes me to the panhandle of Louisiana. Sourcing meat that sits well with me has always been a problem (I will get heartburn if there is any corn in the animal's diet) and I have not gone to the trouble yet. It's easy to get complacent in a routine that works.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 12:26:53 pm »
I pack some with the meat.
Work takes me to the panhandle of Louisiana. Sourcing meat that sits well with me has always been a problem (I will get heartburn if there is any corn in the animal's diet) and I have not gone to the trouble yet. It's easy to get complacent in a routine that works.

Hey, if it's working, keep it up. What are you doing out there?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 07:58:36 am »
I'm a project manager for an architect. We've got a ton of work in construction at a hospital in the area. Beautiful place to visit but the North-East has my heart with all the different environments and seasons. :)
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk