Author Topic: group raised ground veal?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
group raised ground veal?
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:34:57 pm »
Someone gave me several packages of raw frozen ground veal. On the label is written "never tethered...raised in groups....never administered growth homones...born ,raised, and harvested in the USA...federal regulations do not permit the use of hormones in veal...Strauss Brands Inc." These packages are sold/purchased in supermarkets.

Is it fit for raw consumption?

Is veal better than beef?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: group raised ground veal?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »
Did you google their website? At http://straussbrands.com/our-meat/veal/veal-group-raised you can read this, emphasis mine:

Group Raised – Group raising allows the animals freedom of movement and the ability to develop instinctual socialization and herding behaviors. We believe that a tether-free, group-raised environment dramatically reduces stress on the calves and improves their overall health, producing delicious, tender veal.

Formula & Forage-Fed – The term “special-fed” veal is a USDA classification used to describe modern day veal calves that are derived from the dairy industry and fed a special formula or milk-replacer. In contrast, Strauss Group Raised Veal incorporates natural forage to aid in the development and health of our calves, resulting in pinker veal.

Now, I'd have to call Strauss Brands (or email them) to figure out what they really mean by "incorporates natural forage." Perhaps it means that they are formula-fed outdoors, or formula-fed with supplemental hay, or who knows?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:21:21 pm by eveheart »
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:47:13 am »
Thank you, eveheart. I am impressed with your willingness to help.

Thank you for the google info. It sounds like the veal I have in my hand is a bit better than common supermarket veal nutrition-wise, but not as good as veal from a farmer who raises pastured cattle.
As I only have several packages of this ground veal in my hand, I am not going to explore further the nutritional value. My main question now is: Is this frozen ground veal in my hand OK for raw consumption? Or I better cook it to avoid food poisoning? If it is whole pieces of meat, I will not worry about it. But it is ground....

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:13 am »
Food poisoning is not that likely from supermarket food, whether it is cooked or raw. When it does happen, it shows up as a bit of diarrhea and people just think they have a stomach bug. Go ahead and try it raw.

My main objection to frozen ground meats is that their thawed texture is all wrong in my mouth. I know that's a vague description, so you can judge for yourself.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:20 am »
Thank you, eveheart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk