Author Topic: Stone pressed olive oil versus "mechanical" pressed?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Stone pressed olive oil versus "mechanical" pressed?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:12:18 pm »
I'm looking for raw, stone pressed olive oil, but all I see are oils that claim to be cold-pressed "by mechanical means". Do you know what this is about? I saw in a lot of oils from Italy. To me, mechanical means that there are no chemicals involved, I suppose? But it doesn't say if it's a machine that can generate high temperatures somehow.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Stone pressed olive oil versus "mechanical" pressed?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:17 am »
Mechanical means something was used to press the olives. Presses can be stone, metal, wood. At industrial capacity, presses and their contents can get hot.

Extraction is a more general word. Chemical solvents can indeed be used to extract oils.

Both methods lead to an oil that turns rancid quickly. You can grind/press your own olive oil. My neighbors from Morocco do that in a contraption that looks like a manual coffee grinder with a spout.

Best of all, olives can be eaten whole, while still containing the oil. While you chew them, your taste buds inform your stomach that it is about to digest an olive.

You can see pictures online of all of this if you google olive oil press. Also, search this forum for the many good threads about olives.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:54:50 am »
Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll also look into where I can get actual raw fresh olives. All the olives I've ever seen were pickled in brine.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:33 am »
In a large city like mine, raw olives can be bought at the ethnic markets of any Mediterranean country. If you live in an olive-growing region, olives are ready approximately from late summer to early fall.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk