Author Topic: Homemade soap  (Read 2525 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Homemade soap
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:02:37 am »
My family refuses to give up on using toxic soaps for our dishes and laundry. They leave a nasty film on the dishes, especially after coming out of the dish washer.They finally agreed to stop using them, as long as i can make one that is equally as effective. If anyone has a recipe for a dish/laundry soap please share. Thank you.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade soap
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:19 am »
If you want to make your own soap, find a recipe and directions online for soapmaking. Basically, you take some lye (dangerous, use caution), mix it with solid or liquid fats. The proportions and exact directions would be on the recipe you find online. I did this for an 11th-grade science project. You get ivory soap, so to speak.

Unless you really want to do the chemistry project, why not use a soap with no additives? Dr. Bronners (saponified fats) and Charlie's Soap (surfactant only) are examples that you can look up and see if you like their ingredients.

You can't use a sudsing soap in a washing machine or dishwasher. If you do, you'll get suds all over the house.

Don't expect your laundry to end up all fluffy. In a hard water area, your towels will end up kinda cardboard-y. Your family won't like it, I reckon.

The no-soap alternatives are (1) take clothes to the river and beat them on the rocks, (2) vinegar is a good cleaner, but I've never used it on the laundry.

I always have tons of leftover animal fat. I was thinking about making my own soap, but it seems like a hassle. I use the fat for awesome tallow lamps. Adding a wick is much easier than making soap.

P.S. If you are getting soap film in your dishwasher, you are not using the correct dish washing detergent for the water hardness in your area.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:44:41 pm »
To make my life easy, I buy a trusted brand of "organic soap" and look at the ingredients.

Look up borax for soap making or Hulda Clark's Cure for All Diseases book.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 11:29:08 pm »
i agree with GS, get them to switch over to more natural brands while you search and experiment with making your own.  meyers makes a good laundry detergent that will probably please normal people, there are plenty of less offensive dish soaps on the market, just look for one with the least ingredients.  these are free of artificial scents and most, if not all of the toxic additives and solvents.  google natural homemade soaps and there are thousands of recipes.

Offline albertoceraw

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:52:55 am »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk