Author Topic: My experience of eating raw meat  (Read 20603 times)

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
My experience of eating raw meat
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:54:33 am »
Hi, everyone:
I am new to the forum and I started eating raw meat (beef, chicken and fish) a little more than one month ago. I am glad to find the group where I can ask questions and expect respectful discuss.
For the last month or so, every day I ate raw eggs for breakfast, raw chicken or fish for lunch (because I want include some white meat in my diet, not eat only red meat) and raw beef for diner. So far, my body take this diet well, did not have any problem. Actually, I like the taste of raw meat and do not feel like to eat cooked meat any more.
For chicken, I only eat frozen chicken breast (from Publix, organic raised, no anti-bacterial and hormone,   individually wrapped) and frozen chicken patty (extra lean). The reason for frozen chicken is because chicken have higher chance to carry parasites, frozen will reduce the chance to get infected. For the chicken breast, I thaw it and cut it (remove any fat or tendon tissues) to small pieces, seasoning, and eat. Raw chicken taste delicious, tender and easy to chew (though breasts from different individual wraps taste slightly different, I guess some are from younger chicken or fresher, some are from older chicken or not as fresh which is not as enjoyable). While the frozen chicken patty is almost tasteless, but very easy to eat (almost no need to chaw because it was grounded, and does not have the meat texture and flavor). I prefer the chicken breast better.
For beef, I do not want eat ground beef because feel it have more fat and not from the good cut meat, also the ground process may have higher chance to be contaminated. I get my beef from super Publix, mainly from customer cut counter. I tried tenderloin steak, T-bone steak, New York steak, sirloin steak, and eye round steak. Just like eating chicken, I cut the steak (remove any fat or tendon tissues) to small pieces, seasoning, and eat. In general, tenderloin steak is most tender, have less tendon tissue, and of cause most expensive; T-bone steak, New York steak are acceptably tender, but need spend more time to remove the fat, bone, and tendon tissue (there is always some tendon remaining and they are hard to chaw, I have to spit them out after I chaw out the lean meat); sirloin steak, and eye round steak are tougher to chew even for the lean meat, and it have much more tendon tissue, it is hard to eat the way I eat them (I am considering try to ground the eye round or sirloin by myself, to see if it is ok) . If the steak is really fresh, it tastes good, I like the meat texture and flavor, but if the beef is not so fresh (the meat is not firm, kind of flabby), the taste is not as good.
I know there are many experienced raw paleo dieters here,  I welcome any comment and suggestion.

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: My experience of eating raw meat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:57 am »
any reason your removing the fat? ive found raw fat to be very helpful with my skin, joints, and digestion, wether its plant or animal based.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:29 am »
Welcome to the forum, common_sense! You'll come to realize your name, quite ironically, won't apply so much here, as thriving on raw meats already diverts from it.

You'll also probably abandon the notion of "harmful germs" in meat soon enough, as you will certainly come to read the testimony of forum members who enjoy eating their meat mature, or "high". They usually notice great benefits from it.
Of course not all meat is equal...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:12:38 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:30:17 am »
I didn't see you mention this important point, and I hope you will forgive me if I'm offering unwanted advice.

In his book the Omivore's Dilemma, author/researcher Michael Pollen explains the difference between animal foods from naturally-fed livestock and livestock fed a species-inappropriate diet, (such as feeding corn and soybeans to beef).

It is very important to eat food from animals that have been fed their natural diet in a natural manner and season for their entire lives. Otherwise, you will be ingesting the stress that the animal endured during it's period of sub-optimal feeding.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:43:20 pm »
I try to reduce body fat, I believe the fat contained in even the leanest meat is enough for me.

any reason your removing the fat? ive found raw fat to be very helpful with my skin, joints, and digestion, wether its plant or animal based.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »
I guess people have their own "common sense" that different from person to person, if there was an universal common sense, the world would be a much better place, isn't it?  Also, common sense evolve with time. When heating food is pretty much the only way to kill the germs and bugs, cook food before eating  is the common sense, but when we come to the age we have much better ways and knowledge to control the germs (not eliminate them totally, which is not possible, nor necessary, so long we can  keep their population low so they will not overwhelm our immune system), the common sense is we don't have to cook food, provide we take all precautionary consideration. To be fair, I think this country did a very good job in terms of food quality control, comparing many other developing country. I do not have the confidence to eat raw meat from, say, China currently. (this, also a common sense.)

Welcome to the forum, common_sense! You'll come to realize your name, quite ironically, won't apply so much here, as thriving on raw meats already diverts from it.

You'll also probably abandon the notion of "harmful germs" in meat soon enough, as you will certainly come to read the testimony of forum members who enjoy eating their meat mature, or "high". They usually notice great benefits from it.
Of course not all meat is equal...

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »
I eat raw meat from nutrition point of view, not from naturalist point of view, I do not mind eat meat fed by grain or soybean, so long the production follow all exist regulations, no illegal additives or substance were added. I know this approach is quite different from many other members' here, but I am open minded.

I didn't see you mention this important point, and I hope you will forgive me if I'm offering unwanted advice.

In his book the Omivore's Dilemma, author/researcher Michael Pollen explains the difference between animal foods from naturally-fed livestock and livestock fed a species-inappropriate diet, (such as feeding corn and soybeans to beef).

It is very important to eat food from animals that have been fed their natural diet in a natural manner and season for their entire lives. Otherwise, you will be ingesting the stress that the animal endured during it's period of sub-optimal feeding.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:03 pm »
I guess people have their own "common sense" that different from person to person, if there was an universal common sense, the world would be a much better place, isn't it?

"Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate."    Wikipedia.

A majority of people actually believe raw meat is toxic, in all its forms (except the ones they consume themselves, strangely, such as sushi or steak tartar). I'm guessing english is not your native tong, so your wrong interpretation of the word is excused  ;)

It's almost a miracle my own post remain understandable to others. RPDF is the only place left where I can exercice ze English...

Where are you from?

And is un-fat meat really all you're eating, or do you also eat other things, like vegetables, fruits, nuts?

....Oups, almost forgot: 200th post!! WOUHOU!!!  ;D O0

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:15:09 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 11:22:03 pm »
Thank you fro excuse me, you are right here, English is not my first language, I was from Asia.
But I still disagree that "common sense" have to be shared by  ALL people, In reality, common sense only shared by a group, small or large,    by the circle who share same or similar rational, philosophes, or ideology, etc.  "Common sense" in North Korea is not at all a common sense here.
Yes, not only the majority of people thinking raw meat is bad to eat, but also in general the society hold some kind of bias towards the people who eat raw meat without considering their rational to do so, thinking they are "weird". When I post a message about my new diet on body building website, it was not received well. To certain degree, the tolerance of society towards raw meat eaters is less than towards LGTB (just for comparing. I have nothing to do with them,  or against them).
I eat all kinds food, vegetables, fruits, grains. The main reason I eat raw meat is because I felt raw meat is easier to digest (at least for me, I can easily eat half pound raw beef and fell hungry a few hours later, while if I eat half pound cooked  beef, I will not want to eat anything for long hours. And also, I believe raw meat contain some enzymes and natural hegemons or their precursors which my body can  use.

"Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by ("common to") nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate."    Wikipedia.

A majority of people actually believe raw meat is toxic, in all its forms (except the ones they consume themselves, strangely, such as sushi or steak tartar). I'm guessing english is not your native tong, so your false interpretation of the word is excused  ;)

It's almost a miracle my own post remain understandable to others. RPDF is the only place left where I can exercice ze English...

Where are you from?

And is un-fat meat really all you're eating, or do you also eat other things, like vegetables, fruits, nuts?

....Oups, almost forgot: 200th post!! WOUHOU!!!  ;D O0

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 12:03:37 am »
We do not eat raw meat out of a naturalist viewpoint, but more out of nutrition's sake. Animals fed on  grainfed diets are more prone to disease and ill-health and this is relfected in the nutrient-profile of raw, grainfed meats. Animals fed on healthier diets have higher levels of relevant nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids etc. as well.

Having said that, I have come across one or two  claims in the RPD community that some of us have managed to regain health while eating just raw  grainfed meats from supermarkets.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 03:13:02 am »
The fact remains that many problems with toxins in animal flesh arise from species-inappropriate feeding. For instance, in the US, grain fed cattle develop highly acidic stomach contents, which encourage toxic bacteria to flourish in the flesh, resulting in a high occurrence of E. coli in grain-fed beef. Similarly, farm-raised salmon develop skin lesions and harbor parasites more commonly.

But I still disagree that "common sense" have to be shared by  ALL people, In reality, common sense only shared by a group, small or large,    by the circle who share same or similar rational, philosophes, or ideology, etc.

P.S. Yes, common means "shared by the whole group," but the connotation is that it means "anybody." You are using a special connotation ("only shared by a group, small or large, by the circle who share same or similar rational, philosophes, or ideology, etc.").

"Common sense" in North Korea is not at all a common sense here.

The word you mean here is custom, since sense denotes "a feeling that something is the case," so it does not arise from custom.

(Geesh, I wonder how many people have figured out that I teach American English grammar and composition? LOL)

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:30 am »
Thank you fro excuse me, you are right here, English is not my first language, I was from Asia.

haha ok I was just joking :)

Eveheart I think he meant common-sense in NK as in "Well of course Kim Jung Un is God on earth! Everybody knows that! Only stupid american pigs would denie such truth >:"

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 05:04:29 am »

Never mind North Korea; every good Korean mother has a special amount of common sense, and it grows to infinite amounts as she gets older. Every ethnic group has its own incriminating and hilarious mother stories, but the funniest and most bizarre ones are from Koreans.

For example, my ethnic mother said you don't let a cat get near a baby in a cradle because the cat will suck the air out of the baby. Hmmm, okay, that could happen. Logic: a cat can inhale with its lungs;  cats are attracted to milk smells in babies' mouths.

The Korean mother says don't sleep with a fan running in the room without the windows opened because otherwise the fan can suck the air out of the room and you'll suffocate and die. Not a speck of logic there. The logic jar's been scraped empty and washed out, or I'd offer you some.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »
Well, I take it as side effects of plaeo  diet, positive one, thoufg.  ;D

(Geesh, I wonder how many people have figured out that I teach American English grammar and composition? LOL)
[/quote]

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 11:38:09 pm »
I believe the main difference between the grass fed and grain fed beef is that grass fed one is leaner.

We do not eat raw meat out of a naturalist viewpoint, but more out of nutrition's sake. Animals fed on  grainfed diets are more prone to disease and ill-health and this is relfected in the nutrient-profile of raw, grainfed meats. Animals fed on healthier diets have higher levels of relevant nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids etc. as well.

Having said that, I have come across one or two  claims in the RPD community that some of us have managed to regain health while eating just raw  grainfed meats from supermarkets.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 11:43:18 pm »
I hope someone will give some suggestions on HOW to eat raw meat, not only discuss on why to. For example, those veteran raw beef eaters, what cut or part of the cow is your favorite? How you store them, for how long? Do you ground them or just cut to small pieces to chew?
Thanks in advance!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 12:01:57 am »
I believe the main difference between the grass fed and grain fed beef is that grass fed one is leaner.

There are far more differences than that:-
http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 12:03:30 am »
I hope someone will give some suggestions on HOW to eat raw meat, not only discuss on why to. For example, those veteran raw beef eaters, what cut or part of the cow is your favorite? How you store them, for how long? Do you ground them or just cut to small pieces to chew?
Thanks in advance!
I always buy the cheapest cuts. All that matters is that the meat is grassfed, which part is irrelevant. I eat them within a week, and just cut off pieces big enough to juts chew once and bolt down.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:10:51 am »
I buy prime cuts of beef (prefer hind quarter area), whole lamb with offal, and many types of sea food. I store them hanging in the refrigerator with good air circulation. I cut with a knife or scissors to bite-size pieces or larger and eat (with my fingers, if socially possible).

Browse around the forum and you'll find a rich supply of posts about how to eat and store raw meat. Pay attention to "hanging meat" discussions (with pictures) for great storage ideas.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 02:29:50 am »
I agree that raw meat digests more easily, and that many customs are not sensible. Also for me raw vegetables also digest very well.

Most often I eat the lower grade grass fed mince as it has a good mix of meat, fat and gristle. Often I eat it straight from the bag, or make a recipe by mixing with raw egg and salt.

For breakfast I often eat a load of cabbage, carrots etc while driving to work.

Raw fish is nice just sliced, or sometimes with some herbs and spices, lemon juice or vinegar, wrapped in leaves...

Less often I have offal - sliced heart is very soft and tender, it seems like a very good cut of meat, liver is very strong and takes longer to get used too, as does kidney.

Occasionally I pickle meat, offal, and/or fish in vinegar - it tastes great and still digests very easily.

Sometimes I've eaten frozen seafood, scallops are quite creamy while frozen, or in a few minutes soaking in warm water they defrost and are ready to eat, such as prawns and shrimps. Defrosted green beans are also a nice treat.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:45:42 am by Alive »

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 11:17:55 pm »
Thanks. The hind quarter is very lean, but a little tougher to chaw, I found. Do you spit out the tough tendon?

I buy prime cuts of beef (prefer hind quarter area), whole lamb with offal, and many types of sea food. I store them hanging in the refrigerator with good air circulation. I cut with a knife or scissors to bite-size pieces or larger and eat (with my fingers, if socially possible).

Browse around the forum and you'll find a rich supply of posts about how to eat and store raw meat. Pay attention to "hanging meat" discussions (with pictures) for great storage ideas.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 11:22:57 pm »
I am convinced that raw is easier to digest, because when I travel, I have to eat some cooked meat, I have comparing. This is really opposite to generally hold believing.   

I agree that raw meat digests more easily, and that many customs are not sensible. Also for me raw vegetables also digest very well.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 11:26:06 pm »
I will consider try ground by myself, because buy mince from super market you really can not control the quality. But if you buy from local supplier, it is different story. Thanks for the suggestion.
Most often I eat the lower grade grass fed mince as it has a good mix of meat, fat and gristle. Often I eat it straight from the bag, or make a recipe by mixing with raw egg and salt.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:30:33 pm »
I tried both grass fed and ordinary super market beef (assume they are grain or mix fed), my personal feeling is the difference between freshness, cut parts is more noticeable. Thanks for share your experience.
I always buy the cheapest cuts. All that matters is that the meat is grassfed, which part is irrelevant. I eat them within a week, and just cut off pieces big enough to juts chew once and bolt down.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 11:46:25 pm »
Thanks. The hind quarter is very lean, but a little tougher to chaw, I found. Do you spit out the tough tendon?

The hind quarter has a lot of large muscles with a minimum of tendon and connective tissue. Names of beef cuts vary from place to place, but here in California the cuts have names like round or rump in the name, such as rump roast or round roast. Also from this area are cuts like eye of round and London broil, but the latter can also mean flank steak, depending on your regional names for beef.

If you are encountering tendons, then you are probably on the lower leg. You can gnaw that area, but table-manners do not apply.

A beef-anatomy chart can help you learn the cuts of beef. Just buy something you can afford and then learn where it comes from for future reference. Youtube has some good instructional butcher videos that can help you communicate better with your butcher.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk