Author Topic: mystery organ  (Read 3716 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
mystery organ
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »
alright so i need a little help here. usually when i go to whole foods, i can get the butcher to give me some grass fed beef fat (soft and hard) which is great; the only problem is sometimes there is a slice of an organ in the harder fat and i can't figure out what it is. it looks kind of like liver (same gelatinous look) but its grayish yellow. it almost looks like a slice of a greyish banana. anyways, any idea as to what this might be? i haven't eaten it yet just as a precaution, but im sure its probably fine to eat.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: mystery organ
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:27:04 pm »
I've heard that most suet surrounds the kidneys, so it could be a kidney. I think kidney looks like liver except for the shape.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:41:04 pm »
yeah but the beef kidney i've had is red. i dont think its kidney but can't think of any other organs it could be.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:42:57 pm »
Sorry I couldn't help but I wanted to let you know I just got that movie "Zardoz" and am planning on watching it soon.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:31:38 pm »
haha! nice. it's amusing if nothing else.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:17:40 pm »
Sounds like an organ I haven't tried before(spleen or gall-bladder or some such?). I did once or twice  come across some similiar organ(which I thought was spleen) but it was blood-red like all the other organs I usually get. If your's yellow, that sounds dodgy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

JaX

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:25:41 pm »
I think I know what you are talking about.

It's a grayish piece, the size of half of a human thumb or smaller, and it is rounded at both ends, right?

According to what I've heard it's glands.

I always find them in fat. Rarely in suet, but often in fat from other parts of the animal. I think they are perfectly eatable. Although they don't taste very good IMO :)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:29:41 pm »
cool, that's kind of what i was thinking. i was pretty sure it wasnt some major organ. but ya, they're rounded and fairly small. also, sometimes there are perfectly round balls that are near them in the fat. they're dark red. not sure what those are either but i've eaten them before and they just tasted like blood. anyways, thanks for the input guys. i guess i might not find a specific name...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk