Author Topic: Raw Liver Poll  (Read 7788 times)

Offline political atheist

• Elder
    • View Profile
Raw Liver Poll
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:45:24 am »
Hi,

Lets see how often and how much raw liver do you consume and what are your experiences(both positive and/ or negative)? What are your standards for raw liver?

Thanks
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Liver Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:49:04 am »
I basically only eat wild liver, pretty much always from deer. I don't eat much of it, because I get a very fast taste change from it. I mainly get it for my wife and daughter, who do not eat as much raw as I do, or as much fish eggs and shellfish.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:15:57 pm »
I cannot get hold of raw organs from wild animals so I only rarely eat raw liver. Back in the UK, I did at one stage eat lots of 100% grassfed raw liver, but I found that my body for some reason did not digest it well and it just came out the other end rather quickly.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:36:55 pm »
I eat raw liver at least once each week, on average. It's easy for me to get, and cheap. There are several farmers that raise 100% grass fed cattle, goats and sheep in my area, I buy it directly from them usually for about $5 per pound. I buy in quantity when they bring it to farmers' markets and store it in my chest freezer for when I'm ready to eat it. I also hunt, so when I kill something I eat all of the organs.

I think it's important not to become too fixated on a single organ, even liver. Diversity is important. I make sure I eat a diverse array of organs each week, and in fact rarely even eat muscle meat anymore. I eat liver, heart, kidneys, pancreas, tongue, testicles, and other things when I can get them.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »
I eat the liver of the animals I butcher, basically my theory is that if you eat all the tissues of the animal, you are less likely to develop deficiency or excesses.

I eat a whole sheep liver every month, usually will eat most of it during the first week after a fresh kill, during that time I will eat a lot more and my digestion will kick into high gear, giving me abundant energy, toward the end of the month after going about two weeks without liver, or fresh blood or other organs I begin to feel signs of lower energy and slower digestion. Then when I get a fresh animal and drink the blood and eat a large piece of liver I feel immediately rejuvenated. There is an eb and flow to my diet, I store up on the nutrients of fresh organs and blood for two weeks, and then live off of mostly muscle meat and fat for the other two weeks, before being replenished with the next kill. In this way I use up my stores of nutrients more efficiently, and believe that there is less likely an issue with imbalances that may be associated with eating too much of one part of an animal or too little in another part.

It seems something that is totally necessary for me, though I warn that there was a time when I would eat extra liver bought from the store and would not feel so good after eating around a pound a week. One also must be sure to get good quality livers, I go by taste now, but when I was first starting I would eat store bought liver that wouldn't taste good and eat it anyway, and then would feel bad afterward.

Ive seen horrible quality livers come from so called grass fed animals, but what isn't on the label is the fact that it comes from cows who were dewormed with chemicals 60 days before slaughter, and fed substandard hay, and they come from stock breed that have been fed grain for many previous generations and may not be well suited to live on grass.
Now days if it does not taste good then I will not eat it.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »
I eat the liver of the animals I butcher, basically my theory is that if you eat all the tissues of the animal, you are less likely to develop deficiency or excesses.

I eat a whole sheep liver every month, usually will eat most of it during the first week after a fresh kill, during that time I will eat a lot more and my digestion will kick into high gear, giving me abundant energy, toward the end of the month after going about two weeks without liver, or fresh blood or other organs I begin to feel signs of lower energy and slower digestion. Then when I get a fresh animal and drink the blood and eat a large piece of liver I feel immediately rejuvenated. There is an eb and flow to my diet, I store up on the nutrients of fresh organs and blood for two weeks, and then live off of mostly muscle meat and fat for the other two weeks, before being replenished with the next kill. In this way I use up my stores of nutrients more efficiently, and believe that there is less likely an issue with imbalances that may be associated with eating too much of one part of an animal or too little in another part.

It seems something that is totally necessary for me, though I warn that there was a time when I would eat extra liver bought from the store and would not feel so good after eating around a pound a week. One also must be sure to get good quality livers, I go by taste now, but when I was first starting I would eat store bought liver that wouldn't taste good and eat it anyway, and then would feel bad afterward.

Ive seen horrible quality livers come from so called grass fed animals, but what isn't on the label is the fact that it comes from cows who were dewormed with chemicals 60 days before slaughter, and fed substandard hay, and they come from stock breed that have been fed grain for many previous generations and may not be well suited to live on grass.
Now days if it does not taste good then I will not eat it.

Saber, how do you go about butchering your own animals? Do you have your own farm? Do you find a farmer, negotiate a price and just go and kill it on their land and take it home? Or do you hunt?

Ive contacted a few mobile butchers that in theory, will go to a farmer and butcher the animal and bring it back to me. Unfortunately they are very expensive and still face gov regulatory issues re certain parts of the animals so i think ill do the killing myself.

I was also looking into buying and raising chickens (and possibly rabbits) at a friends parents farm 30  minutes from me.

I really like your approach to diet and wish to emulate it. I I have few questions though. I pm'd you a few days ago if thats ok

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 06:27:59 pm »
Saber, do you also eat the animal's stomach and it's content? I know carnivorous animals do it, and I've heard it's actually one of the first thing they go for - the fermented plants inside the rumen that is.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:04:30 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
Actually the debate goes on in the pet nutrition area, with some people claiming that carnivores such as wolves shake off and spills out the fermented plants before eating the stomach only, and others who claim to have witnessed wolves eating the rumen's content.

I've personally witnessed my dog, which is fed on an almost exclusively raw meat diet with some veggies here and there, go for the cow dungs on our walks in the nearby fields.

She is a Lapin-Koira, which is what some people would call a "primitive" breed, meaning a breed that is genetically close to its wolf ancestor. So it seems to me that her interest for cow dung may be a trait shared with her wolf relative.

(note: that's not my dog, but she looks a lot like this one)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:50:53 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 11:48:21 pm »
Paleophil showed a photo once of  wild wolves eating berries. And wolves are only facultative carnivores, not obligate carnivores, so can easily digest the plant-matter. Obligate carnivores, such as felines, have to eat meats for sustenance and do not efficiently digest plant food and usually only eat plant foods so as to serve as an emetic.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:09 am »
Saber, how do you go about butchering your own animals? Do you have your own farm? Do you find a farmer, negotiate a price and just go and kill it on their land and take it home? Or do you hunt?

Ive contacted a few mobile butchers that in theory, will go to a farmer and butcher the animal and bring it back to me. Unfortunately they are very expensive and still face gov regulatory issues re certain parts of the animals so i think ill do the killing myself.

I was also looking into buying and raising chickens (and possibly rabbits) at a friends parents farm 30  minutes from me.

I really like your approach to diet and wish to emulate it. I I have few questions though. I pm'd you a few days ago if thats ok

I look for local family farms and buy animals directly from the people who have raised them, then take it back to my place and butcher it myself. Its by far the best way I have found to ensure good quality and it is also most cost effective I have found for supporting a the raw paleo diet. I don't hunt, primarily because most of the game animals in my area , just don't have enough fat to support my low carb diet as do fully mature pasture raised sheep. Also the last few deer I had gotten had tasted awful and two of them had sick looking kidneys.... Im not sure, but I suspect there may be an issue with the quality of wild game in certain areas.

There are many ways to find your local farm, ask around at the farmers market for people who raise their own animals, or look up web sites like ,     http://www.agrilicious.org/   where I found the farm I now get most of my sheep from.

Saber, do you also eat the animal's stomach and it's content? I know carnivorous animals do it, and I've heard it's actually one of the first thing they go for - the fermented plants inside the rumen that is.

I blend up the stomachs into a pudding for convenience.... at first I was real careful to wash off all the stomach contents, but now I will just rinse off the big chunks and throw it into the blinder even if it still has a little green gastric juice on it....

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 01:03:01 pm »

I look for local family farms and buy animals directly from the people who have raised them, then take it back to my place and butcher it myself. Its by far the best way I have found to ensure good quality and it is also most cost effective I have found for supporting a the raw paleo diet. I don't hunt, primarily because most of the game animals in my area , just don't have enough fat to support my low carb diet as do fully mature pasture raised sheep. Also the last few deer I had gotten had tasted awful and two of them had sick looking kidneys.... Im not sure, but I suspect there may be an issue with the quality of wild game in certain areas.

There are many ways to find your local farm, ask around at the farmers market for people who raise their own animals, or look up web sites like ,     http://www.agrilicious.org/   where I found the farm I now get most of my sheep from.

I blend up the stomachs into a pudding for convenience.... at first I was real careful to wash off all the stomach contents, but now I will just rinse off the big chunks and throw it into the blinder even if it still has a little green gastric juice on it....

Do you freeze the meat? AV says freezng is bad. Is this true in your experience?

I spoke to an abattoir asking for organic stomach. He said he couldn't provide it and strongly warned me against killing an animal, organic or otherwise, and eating its stomach without significant preparation. I appreciated his concern, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sure it needs some preparation but he basically said i was risking my health eating anything other than professionally processed tripe

Also, how do you feel on this diet? I read in "The Diet of the Mountain Men" By William. E. Holston that those who ate your diet (it was basically the same as yours but with some cooked meat), felt like they could "live forever". Have you noticed any increase in alertness; gym strength; do you feel more calm etc?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:56:17 pm by marcuspaleo »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »
These people have not a clue when they claim that raw meat kills. Almost always when you read about food-poisoning incidents, they happen with canned foods which are heavily preheated beforehand.  Plus, the kind of people who are usually affected are babies and old people near death etc.; obviously such vulnerable groups would be more  likely to die if affected by mere tummy trouble. I concede that there is a transitory stage for most people when they switch to eating mostly raw foods after a diet of mostly cooked foods, wherein people experience a detox but this is almost always of a minor nature.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 09:54:47 am »
People are foolish in regards to fear of eating raw stomach from animals that eat grass and are clean and healthy. People are paranoid about worms, but the only worms I have found in sheep have been a type of tapeworm that isn't transferable to humans. I make smoothies with the intestines which contain a good portion of fecal matter, and it is the most easy food on the system that one could imagine. There have been no issues whatsoever with eating the guts...

As for freezing the meat.... I prefer everything to be fresh, but when I get a really large animal, then I will freeze some of the muscle meat fat trimmings and organ meats in order to have something fresh later in the month.... I have tried to live off of frozen meat for extended periods from time to time, and have noticed feeling very drained and inadequate around the two week mark, when I will get an uncontrollable urge for a fresh kill and will do whatever it takes to get some fresh blood.

I also notice a difference in the meat after the first few days in the fridge. Super fresh meat has an instant revitalizing effect on me, and the first few days after a kill I will eat a whole lot.... then as time goes on the meat loses some of its vitality and doesn't seem as good around the one week mark, then as it ages further it begins to take on different characteristics, and the bacteria work on it to give it an aged flavor......

This process of eating fresh meat right after a kill then subsisting off of dry aged meat, and the occasional scavanged carcase until the next kill, must have been the way human hunter gatherers evolved. This cycle of eating fresh meat and letting it age seems natural to me, and I feel good doing it...sometimes I do crave more fresh organs, and other times I think if the animal was a little fatter I would do much better....but I seem to manage fairly well with limited resources and tight dietary budget restrictions.

There are many who claim that freezing is not an issue.... and I take a moderate stance.... because we all don't have access to unlimited fresh kills one must make compromises...but if and when ever possible....I recommend for everyone to learn how to kill your own animals and gorge yourself on the freshest most bloody and pure flesh you can get a hold of....then see for yourself if you feel better eating that way than you do eating thawed freezer meat.

Offline marcuspaleo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 12:20:51 pm »
People are foolish in regards to fear of eating raw stomach from animals that eat grass and are clean and healthy. People are paranoid about worms, but the only worms I have found in sheep have been a type of tapeworm that isn't transferable to humans. I make smoothies with the intestines which contain a good portion of fecal matter, and it is the most easy food on the system that one could imagine. There have been no issues whatsoever with eating the guts...

As for freezing the meat.... I prefer everything to be fresh, but when I get a really large animal, then I will freeze some of the muscle meat fat trimmings and organ meats in order to have something fresh later in the month.... I have tried to live off of frozen meat for extended periods from time to time, and have noticed feeling very drained and inadequate around the two week mark, when I will get an uncontrollable urge for a fresh kill and will do whatever it takes to get some fresh blood.

I also notice a difference in the meat after the first few days in the fridge. Super fresh meat has an instant revitalizing effect on me, and the first few days after a kill I will eat a whole lot.... then as time goes on the meat loses some of its vitality and doesn't seem as good around the one week mark, then as it ages further it begins to take on different characteristics, and the bacteria work on it to give it an aged flavor......

This process of eating fresh meat right after a kill then subsisting off of dry aged meat, and the occasional scavanged carcase until the next kill, must have been the way human hunter gatherers evolved. This cycle of eating fresh meat and letting it age seems natural to me, and I feel good doing it...sometimes I do crave more fresh organs, and other times I think if the animal was a little fatter I would do much better....but I seem to manage fairly well with limited resources and tight dietary budget restrictions.

There are many who claim that freezing is not an issue.... and I take a moderate stance.... because we all don't have access to unlimited fresh kills one must make compromises...but if and when ever possible....I recommend for everyone to learn how to kill your own animals and gorge yourself on the freshest most bloody and pure flesh you can get a hold of....then see for yourself if you feel better eating that way than you do eating thawed freezer meat.

Very interesting re the stomach/intestines. Its in contradiction to all the warnings but Ive no doubt you are right. Im going to learn how to butcher an animal and might hit you up for a few pointers on the stomach/intestines and your smoothie recipe.

Also, i know you had health probs, but how do you feel on this diet? Can you describe the sensation? Did you feel better almost immediately or did it take a few months/years? Have you noticed an increase in athletic performance

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:30:17 pm by marcuspaleo »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk