Author Topic: Anyone want to buy a boat and sail the Caribbean  (Read 5707 times)

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Anyone want to buy a boat and sail the Caribbean
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:49:41 pm »
I've been looking into this, they can be had dumbass reasonable if you're willing to buy a fixer upper. For instance I can't find it at the moment but there was a 34 foot double mast for 2000 bucks, engine pulled ready to rebuilt and with working transmission.
Then there is this monster. http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/4981956517.html

Good chance I will buy a boat but albeit more of an island hopper, calm weather, few miles out kinda deal. I dunno what the fuck but I am loathsome of getting into any big projects by myself any more these days.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to buy a boat and sail the Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:18:47 am »
Unfortunately this is the price of a scrap metal.  I think it'll take 100K to make it sea worthy if not more.
My sister and her husband bought a sailboat 30ft used for 240K, took a mortgage on it and on top of that had to spend money to fix it up.  These things don't come cheap.

It took them 6 months to take it from Portland OR to Panama canal.  Their final destination is Florida/Caribbean.

I did island hopping in the Caribbean 5 years ago ( British Virgin Islands to be exact).  It is possible to fish but everything else needs money, water, supplies, gas, additional food, batteries, etc.  Also, all Caribbean is heavily built out, it is either resorts or private islands.  There is almost no wild areas left.  Mooring is only allowed at specific spots.  Docking at peer cost $$$.

If you are seriously interested in this activity consider making friends with locals, they can show you where to get cheap food (such as coconut).  But everything else is expensive $$$ because almost everything is imported.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »
100 thousand yen? 240k yen? You got to be kidding man. You can get sailboats for free around here.

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 12:26:28 am »
What would you eat??

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:54 pm »

100 thousand yen? 240k yen? You got to be kidding man. You can get sailboats for free around here.

Dollars.
That's what 3 bedroom sailboats go for.

here is an example i picked at random
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-CATALINA-445-102418135

Remember, to go into open ocean you need big engine, battery packs, generators, communications system, refrigerator/freezer, plumbing, etc.  All this costs big $$$.

Unless you want to stay ashore most of the time then any cheap dingy would do fine.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
Yeah but that's like new, I was looking at 70's era. You can spend 40-60 grand on a big pickup truck or buy an 80's or early 90s one for 1-4 grand. Also I would build a junk rig which requires a much cheaper sail as elasticity is not an issue with such a rig, these rigs don't move a boat as fast but they are much simpler to maintain and put up/take down, you can do it from the cockpit and they can even sail against the wind.

We could build a damn boat. Just would take longer. I'm starting to cool down and thinking about starting up a herd again though. Might go check out Hawaii.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:33:01 am by RogueFarmer »

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:55:49 am »
Hawaii is beautiful. I miss po'i. Plenty of sailing out there

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk