Author Topic: Humans’ built-in GPS is our 3-D sense of smell  (Read 5525 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Humans’ built-in GPS is our 3-D sense of smell
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:56:12 pm »
This study supports the theory of Instincto

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/06/17/smell-navigation/

Smell is a primitive sense that our early ancestors used for foraging, hunting and mating, among other skills necessary for survival. Early sailors and aviators gave anecdotal reports of using odors to navigate, but there have been no experiential scientific studies on this until now.

The process of smelling, or olfaction, is triggered by odor molecules traveling up the nasal passage, where they are identified by receptors that send signals to the olfactory bulb –  which sits between the nasal cavity and the brain’s frontal lobe – and processes the information. A key to the connection between smell, memory and navigation is that olfactory bulbs have a strong neural link to the brain’s hippocampus, which creates spatial maps of our environment.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Humans’ built-in GPS is our 3-D sense of smell
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:55:24 pm »
The sense of smell is really interesting: mine got better when I started eat more raw, and no/little salt. Also vegans/vegetarians with too little zinc are said to have a worse sense of smell than meat eaters.
I think the sense of smell is one of the senses that has suffered the most by "civilisation" and modern living.
A strange thing I have noticed: sometimes my sense of smell increases when it's the time of my ovulation, maybe some sort of way to sniff out the right partner or something. It's also possible to detect diseases via the nose: there are dogs for instance that can smell if a person has cancer... We could really develop this sense in some way.

Offline madnomad

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:53:06 pm »
I have noticed an increased sense of smell along with a heightened awareness of the other senses as well on a RPD. I wonder if the raw foods just tend to tap into the sensory organs in a more acute way than cooked food does. Perhaps raw foods allow one to access more of the brain than would otherwise be the case and promote increased functionality of our "operating system" as a whole.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:27:34 am »
My sense of smell has improved but not by much. Likely, the olfactory part of the brain is permanently damaged in my case. Also, I have a habit of plucking nasal hairs from my nose as I cannot easily sleep unless they are removed, so their removal via nasal clippers leaves the nose numb and less responsive, imo.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:04:25 am »
don't pluck   buy a rotary  stainless steel nose hair trimmer.     Mine is a manual one   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk