Author Topic: Deep infrared and magnets in Green Star juicers  (Read 7863 times)

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Deep infrared and magnets in Green Star juicers
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:38:46 am »
I know AV recommended the Green Star 1000 juicer for making coconut cream, and I was thinking of getting the Green Star Elite which seems to be an upgraded version of the same juicer.

However I found out about these two technologies that apparently all green star juicers have (not sure about the 1000, it's not clear on their website), which are the magnets and deep infrared that supposedly "stabilize" water molecules and keep the juice fresh for longer, and make it easier to absorb minerals.

It doesn't sound to me like these would make the juice any healthier, and it seems like they would be likely to make it less healthy. The infrared could destroy some nutrients, and the magnets would make minerals like iron less bioavailable, though they claim the opposite is the case, but it doesn't make sense to me why it would be like they say.

What do you guys think? And do you know if AV ever addressed this topic?
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Deep infrared and magnets in Green Star juicers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:18:37 am »
Isn't deep infrared light is used as a therapeutic treatment?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:07 am »
I don't know, but a lot of bad things are used for therapeutic treatments. Take radiation therapy for cancer as an extreme example.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:03:39 am »
Juicing is kind of a poor substitute for eating the whole food. I have not found it to be as good as just eating raw paleo. It is certainly better than the typical Western diet, so whatever.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:32:14 am »
AV believed that paleo people would chew on leaves and other vegetables and spit out the pulp, drinking only the juice, since too much fiber is detrimental for us on a raw diet. He might have been correct, and if we had teeth and jaws as healthy as theirs, it would probably be the best way to go about it. But since we don't, I think it's good to reduce the amount of chewing we have to do.

I'll be using a juicer one way or another, so I'm just trying to figure out what is a good one to get, considering I will mainly be making coconut cream and juicing leafy greens, celery, cucumbers, carrots and other similar vegetables. I currently have a cheap centrifugal juicer that can't make coconut cream and doesn't produce a high quality juice with other vegetables.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:38:13 am by dariorpl »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:22:51 am »
Feel free to try it. Some people do pretty well with juicing. Most do not find it as good as just raw paleo, but it's worth a shot. Let us know how it goes.

As far as juicers, the Norwalk is the absolute king of juicers for home use. It just squeezes the produce, no magnets or infrared.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:08:37 pm »
I think the norwalk is a little out of my budget, especially since I have to pay 3-5 times as much as they're worth to get them here due to import bans. And I'm not sure I like that the grinding process runs at such a high rpm. And it does seem like a hassle to use and clean, but I'm not sure.

I think I'm gonna have to go with the green star, since the Omega NC-800 and other similar plastic auger vertical juicers don't seem to be very good at making coconut cream, plus I'm somewhat worried that the plastic auger may not be able to handle hard mature coconut meat in large quantities. And the green star is the only vertical juicer I could find with the twin metal augers which will easily handle the mature coconut meat. It would be interesting to see if I can turn off the infrared thing. I don't think there's much I can do about the magnets, unfortunately.

If anyone has any more thoughts on the safety and nutrient destruction caused by deep infrared and/or magnets, I'll appreciate it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:38 pm »
AV and long-term primal dieters all swore that the green star juicer was the best one.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:49:27 pm »
Yeah, I would get the Green Star if you're determined to use a juicer regularly. It's cheaper and faster than the Norwalk, and I severely doubt the infrared and magnets are an actual problem.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 01:05:27 am »
zuchinni and cabbage make excellent juices!  dont forget to use wild greens and herbs.  you might want to stay away from juicing roots, i think we probably treated roots way differently then chewing and spitting. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:58:22 am »
I don't know, but a lot of bad things are used for therapeutic treatments. Take radiation therapy for cancer as an extreme example.
OK. Please let us know if you learn anything negative or positive about it.

I've been playing around with an inexpensive incandescent red light (which apparently emits some infrared light) after it was recommended and can't say I notice anything positive or negative from it.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:49 am »
I'll weigh in here.

I have a Green Star. It was the best one a few years ago. It's nice because it is slow and doesn't use a centrifugal process which oxygenates the juice thus destroying some of the good.

This is the updated version of mine a 20000 http://www.greenstar.com/star2.asp

I agree that the business of chewing and spitting the pulp is the best way. It won't impress the neighbours or house guests LOL.

Infra-red as a treatment is a really good idea as it warms the body more deeply. I don't think it is harmful if used properly. You will know when you have had enough, like with a sauna. The sun gives off IR. FAR is better I believe.

However I would not use IR on food as it probably kills the best part, the bacteria, which is part of the reason why you're having the juice in the first place.

Re the magnet. Hunose? My water purifier has one on the spout.
Cheers
Al

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:06 am »
Do you use the Green Star 2000 now raw-al? Or the original 1000? And do you think they are better than the Elite? The Elite has one more step in the juicing process called "mix" phase, where supposedly the different textures from different foods can be combined to more easily extract the juice from all of them. It's about an inch of extra auger space where this happens.

Are you just now learning about the magnets and infrared in the Green Star juicers? They don't seem to do a lot to advertise them, and I don't know why they don't offer a version without them. I don't know if the deep infrared from the juicer are the same as those we get from the sun. They might be a totally different thing when produced artificially. And I don't think I would want my juice to be exposed to the sun either way.

Maybe they are right in that the infrared and magnets only make the juice better, but since I don't know, I tend to assume that anything artificial and modern is probably bad, until proven otherwise. How bad it would be, I don't know. But if these processes are there because they make the juice last for longer without spoiling, that's already a good sign to me that things are unlikely to be good. Maybe that's incorrect. But when I think infrared I think heat, and when I think heat that helps food stay unspoiled for longer, I think pasteurization. And magnets... Well, I don't think there's anything natural about that, and I honestly can't figure out why they put them there other than to mess with the iron that is inside the juice cells, which I find hard to believe would be a good idea.

Then again, I trust AV (perhaps too much), and I think if these were a problem he would've noticed them and addressed them... Or maybe not? Like I said, the manufacturers aren't particularly keen on letting you know that these things are in the juicers, how they work, and why they put them there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:54:23 am by dariorpl »

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:47 am »
zuchinni and cabbage make excellent juices!  dont forget to use wild greens and herbs.  you might want to stay away from juicing roots, i think we probably treated roots way differently then chewing and spitting.

That's interesting, thanks. I tried whole raw zuccini (a round, more fleshy variety that is grown here) with a salad and it was good. I didn't know it could be eaten raw.

I don't have access to truly wild greens and herbs, and if I did I'd be afraid of picking up something poisonous. I'm not much of a botanist. Like, I can't tell parsley and cilantro apart other than by smell. But I go to a farmers market where they sell all kinds of weird edible greens and herbs, and I'm always trying new things.

How do you think our ancestors handled wild edible roots, tubers and bulbs? Did they cook them? Eat them whole and raw? Avoid them entirely?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:10:45 am by dariorpl »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »
There are many videos online of primitive people chewing plants and spitting the pulp out. THey knew that the fiber is bad.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk