Author Topic: Do not buy Coconuts!  (Read 18179 times)

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Do not buy Coconuts!
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2015, 04:26:37 am »
I don't even have access to a pc but I do own many issues of acres USA which had many articles on the subject. They distribute a book called "sea energy agriculture" which covers the subject. Adding carbon to soil is also a method to rehabilitate land where Saltation has occurred. I will try to come up with some sources when I get the chance. I read that although many if not most farms yields were negatively effected by tsunamis in south east Asia, many were benefited with as much as double normal yields. All life came from the ocean, our blood is nearly the same as ocean water. It only makes sense that this salt would be beneficial to life.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:35 am »
I'm just not sure that carbon can really offset the problem of sodium blocking calcium. I'm talking about something peer-reviewed, and/or something from a real expert who uses Brix readings or other direct measurements of plant quality. I hate to be so skeptical with you, but Acres USA is not always known for scientific rigor or hard-nosed insistence on fact.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 06:23:50 am »
I believe this scientific paper is more or less what RF is talking about:-

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014019631000265X
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2015, 07:34:13 am »
I believe this scientific paper is more or less what RF is talking about:-

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S014019631000265X

I'm not sure that article was talking about sodium salinity. Sodium is only one of several mineral salts that can damage soil. Also, it was tree growth that reduced the salinity. It's not clear that the trees accomplished that through increasing carbon.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:49 am »
You wouldn't use anywhere near the amount that is used when chemical salts are applied and not with the same frequency either.

Anyways the coconut I picked for Jessica was no where near the ocean and all those trees were growing semi wild in the woods. There is an island I would go to where they said not to pick the coconuts because the trees were treated for a disease, most of which were right on the coast. I'm not sure if this was for cosmetic reasons or not. I think some areas perhaps coconuts only grow near the ocean because the soil inland is not ideal for them. At one time most of Florida was basically one gigantic coral reef so the soil is largely made up of ancient coral, which is probably pretty decent coconut substrate. Dates will grow right by the ocean too.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2015, 10:45:26 am »
Well look, if you're going to start shipping seawater inland, you might as well use seaweed emulsion and/or seawater precipitate. Shipping heavy stuff gets expensive, you might as well maximize the minerals you need and minimize the sodium if you're going to ship things.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2015, 06:31:16 am »
I didn't this even existed but just saw today in a meat market that there is company that makes/sell 'Coconut Flakes' cereal, advertised as Paleo and gluten free.

So really Paleo means to people to substitute coconut and almond flour for all the things they are currently eating.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:41 am »
This thread led me to take a peak at the containers of coconut water for sale in Trader Joe's. They had two brands, one listing cane sugar, the other with corn syrup. So much for healthy food fads. And as Ioanna points out, coconut flour and flakes are a hot item when it comes to grain-free eating, which is often called paleo.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk