Author Topic: Does anyone eat raw chicken legs?  (Read 10464 times)

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Does anyone eat raw chicken legs?
« on: October 27, 2015, 03:00:04 am »
I have been eating chicken breast (frozen) for about 10 months  now, quite like it. I wonder if the chicken leg will be taste as tender as the breast?  Is there anyone eat chicken legs before? How it taste comparing to the chicken breast?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone eat raw chicken legs?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:50 am »
I would only eat truly free-range chicken raw. Legs can be pretty tough on a free-range bird, especially roosters and older birds in general.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:23:16 am »
I usually eat the breast too, but sometimes eat the thighs.  The meat is darker.

Offline Victor K

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:10:18 am »
I ate nothing but chicken(mostly thighs) for 3-4 months. They are very tasty. Make sure you get them from a good source. And I would never eat frozen.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:26:33 am »
If you buy chicken legs, don't waste anything and eat the bone and marrow with it!

I got inspired by my dog who eats the whole leg when she gets one, and come to think of it it's all benefits:

-calcium and stuff from the crushed bone and marrow

-strengthens your jaw

-less waste (even if I have not managed to eat the denser ends of the bone yet).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:10:15 am by JeuneKoq »

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:45:46 am »
This is what I thought: the meat may be tougher. thanks for reply.

I would only eat truly free-range chicken raw. Legs can be pretty tough on a free-range bird, especially roosters and older birds in general.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:24 am »
Compare to breast, how the thigh taste? Is it much tougher? Is it flavor stronger? Thanks for reply.

I usually eat the breast too, but sometimes eat the thighs.  The meat is darker.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 12:50:20 am »
Well, I only eat lean meat, I want build muscle and I do not like the fatty taste. But thanks for the suggestion.

If you buy chicken legs, don't waste anything and eat the bone and marrow with it!

I got inspired by my dog who eats the whole leg when she gets one, and come to think of it it's all benefits:

-strengthens your jaw

-less waste (even if I have not managed to eat the denser ends of the bones yet).

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:35:40 pm »
Legs are the best muscle part of the chicken. The skin, cartilage, spongy bone and marrow are also wonderful. But even if you only want the lean muscle, the leg and thigh are by far the best. I only eat chicken breast for health benefits (eating the whole animal is better, as sabertooth says), but I don't enjoy them. They're too bland. The legs and thighs and wings, I could eat all day.

I also don't eat frozen meats.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:08 pm »
Compare to breast, how the thigh taste? Is it much tougher? Is it flavor stronger? Thanks for reply.

They are closer to the bone which is said to increase mineral content of the meat and so the meat is darker and tastier IMO. They are fattier, so not tougher.  I just get what is available, the thighs tend to be cheaper bc everyone wants the leaner breast meat. But the farmer I trust tends to bring more breast meat to the market so that's what I have available.

-strengthens your jaw

-less waste (even if I have not managed to eat the denser ends of the bone yet).

My dog loves the bone too, but I don't crush it and I don't eat it myself. How do you crush the bone??

Does anyone else eat bone meal for comment? Just seems like a food that passes through me identifiably does not have nutrition value??

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:39:44 pm »
Bone meal actually dissolves very easily in stomach acid. Try dropping a little bit of it in white vinegar sometime. It dissolves very well in most acids.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:48 am »
I thought the thigh is tougher, leaner, guess I need try. thanks!

They are closer to the bone which is said to increase mineral content of the meat and so the meat is darker and tastier IMO. They are fattier, so not tougher.  I just get what is available, the thighs tend to be cheaper bc everyone wants the leaner breast meat. But the farmer I trust tends to bring more breast meat to the market so that's what I have available.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:49 am »
thanks for the info. I thought frozen chicken may reduce the chance of parasites infection, am I right?

Legs are the best muscle part of the chicken. The skin, cartilage, spongy bone and marrow are also wonderful. But even if you only want the lean muscle, the leg and thigh are by far the best. I only eat chicken breast for health benefits (eating the whole animal is better, as sabertooth says), but I don't enjoy them. They're too bland. The legs and thighs and wings, I could eat all day.

I also don't eat frozen meats.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 12:40:05 am »
My dog loves the bone too, but I don't crush it and I don't eat it myself. How do you crush the bone??
Exactly like my dog does it  ;D

I start by eating a bit of the meat around the chicken drumstick, then I take a bite of the bone with the meat left around it, because it feels chewier and less hazardous than bone alone. Chew thoroughly, then swallow. Make sure nobody's around or they'll probably get you committed ;)

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:16 am »

I use my teeth. Whatever is too tough to crush finely with my teeth (mainly the middle parts of the leg, thigh and wing bones), I don't eat. But I suppose you could apply this same rule to use other means to crush it. In any case, the main reason to do this is to get to the marrow inside.

Does anyone else eat bone meal for comment? Just seems like a food that passes through me identifiably does not have nutrition value??

Bone meal is cooked.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:36:19 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:50 am »
thanks for the info. I thought frozen chicken may reduce the chance of parasites infection, am I right?

Yes, you are right. Although I'm not aware of any parasites that effectively transfer from chicken to humans. And in any case, I'm not afraid of parasites. Parasites are good, our bodies evolved/were designed to function symbiotically with them. But even if this wasn't the case, and even if there were dangerous parasites in chicken and other meats, I think you give up too much in nutrition by freezing them, to be worth eliminating parasites (and not all parasites are eliminated through freezing)

Regarding parasites, consider this: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-24/lifestyle/sns-rt-us-usa-health-parasitesbre87n0uw-20120824_1_rheumatoid-arthritis-pig-whipworm-autoimmune-disease-drugs
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:37:44 am by dariorpl »

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 05:50:15 am »
Exactly like my dog does it  ;D

Well dogs have very strong hydrochloric acid in their stomach so they can swallow meat and bones whole, without crushing it finely with their teeth. The only crushing they really need to do is to make it small enough to comfortably swallow. Dogs' teeth are better for tearing meat off a carcass, but ours are better at crushing it finely. We use tools to tear.

Make sure nobody's around or they'll probably get you committed ;)

They'll probably do that anyway just from seeing you eat raw chicken. I doubt the bones will make much difference at that point.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 06:40:42 am »
Make sure nobody's around or they'll probably get you committed ;)

Story of my raw paleo life :D

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 07:01:16 am »
When everybody around you is crazy, you're the one that appears insane.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 09:31:43 am »
Well dogs have very strong hydrochloric acid in their stomach so they can swallow meat and bones whole, without crushing it finely with their teeth. The only crushing they really need to do is to make it small enough to comfortably swallow. Dogs' teeth are better for tearing meat off a carcass, but ours are better at crushing it finely. We use tools to tear.
That's right.

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:54 pm »
Raw chicken do have chance, though small, to pass thread worm (or kind of , not exactly sure the name) to human, This worm only affect digest system, normally not cause big problem, can be easily treated by medication. However, certain parasites in pig (not the one your link mentioned) can cause serious problem on human being.

Yes, you are right. Although I'm not aware of any parasites that effectively transfer from chicken to humans. And in any case, I'm not afraid of parasites. Parasites are good, our bodies evolved/were designed to function symbiotically with them. But even if this wasn't the case, and even if there were dangerous parasites in chicken and other meats, I think you give up too much in nutrition by freezing them, to be worth eliminating parasites (and not all parasites are eliminated through freezing)

Regarding parasites, consider this: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-24/lifestyle/sns-rt-us-usa-health-parasitesbre87n0uw-20120824_1_rheumatoid-arthritis-pig-whipworm-autoimmune-disease-drugs

Offline common_sense

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:36 pm »
Even on this paleo diet community, only very small number of persons eat raw chicken, We should be humbly aware our minority status outside, and be proud a little bit inside.  ;D

Story of my raw paleo life :D

Offline Victor K

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 08:44:19 am »
Raw chicken do have chance, though small, to pass thread worm (or kind of , not exactly sure the name) to human, This worm only affect digest system, normally not cause big problem, can be easily treated by medication. However, certain parasites in pig (not the one your link mentioned) can cause serious problem on human being.

I would just forget the 'parasite' hype. They aren't studied properly so we can't actually take any mainstream information on it. I side with AV on his stance that all parasites are beneficial. Certain organisms will cause reactions within our bodies. We can't really categorize them as 'parasites' until they are studied properly. I do not know what AV studied. He does state how our bodies use salmonella and E coli in his newsletters(which I do not recommend subscribing to). He has also infected himself with tapeworms to intentionally detox. He also states vomiting or diarrhea is a result of your body quickly releasing toxins expelled into your stomach. I had diarrhea for a week when I started eating raw eggs. I continued to eat and I have been eating 12-24 eggs a day for the last 4 months without the smallest reaction to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk